Estes Majestic

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by JoeTekcor, Jul 29, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jul 29, 2019 #1

JoeTekcor

JoeTekcor

JoeTekcor

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Picked up the Estes Majestic a couple weeks ago when Hobby Lobby had it on clearance for $12 because... $12. I built it in less than an hour last weekend and it looks like it'll be a fun one to fly. After spending weeks and weeks on high power builds there is something about just picking up an almost ready to fly that looks like it'll hold up to anything.
    Also picked up several E and F motors on clearance on that same trip. Can't wait for the next launch date.

GlenP likes this.
  2. Jul 29, 2019 #2

Donnager

Donnager

Donnager

Watch out if you assemble it with epoxy. If you attempt to wipe residue off the purple tube with Isopropyl alcohol or Acetone, you will remove purple or put a haze/sheen on the body tube.

Had to paint mine after I screwed the surface up.

3. Jul 29, 2019 #3

JoeTekcor

JoeTekcor

JoeTekcor

I noticed. I was wiping residue off of the fins and touched the body tube. I noticed a little purple picked up. I stayed away from the tube after that.

4. Jul 29, 2019 #4

readytorock556

readytorock556

readytorock556

What motors have you flown it on? I’ve had one built for a while and it’s never flown.

5. Jul 29, 2019 #5

JoeTekcor

JoeTekcor

JoeTekcor

I haven’t flown it yet. I’ve got a launch in a couple weeks.

6. Jul 29, 2019 #6

Donnager

Donnager

Donnager

None yet. It's waiting in line with the others. Hopefully I'll get this one and one other I have for "testing" before the September launch. If I have to wait too long, I may wind up building a booster for it.

7. Jul 29, 2019 #7

Back_at_it

Back_at_it

Back_at_it

I was lucky enough to pick up one of these at the HL sale as well. Here's my issue. I have a medium sized field that is great for rockets that fly in the 300-400 ft range. Has anyone ever flown the Majestic on a D12-3?

I see that Estes rates the D12-3 up to 14oz. Mine is coming in a touch over 10oz with the larger shock cord.

8. Jul 29, 2019 #8

Wayco

Wayco

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer TRF Lifetime Supporter

I have built a few Majestics, tried them with the booster with some success. No wind and a 6 ft. rod recommended if you are using the E16's and F15's.
    If you fly one with a G80 or something comparable, be sure to run a strip of scotch tape along the leading edge of the fins. Don't bother to ask me how I learned that lesson....

9. Jul 30, 2019 #9

Mugs914

Mugs914

Mugs914

"Get sumthin real nice for yourself too, Clark..."

Might get away with it. I just simmed it in OR and it's saying a peak of 325 ft. and 45.1 ft/s coming off of a three foot rod. Sounds a bit optimistic to me, but OR is generally pretty reliable. Six foot rod DEFINITELY recommended!

It's also showing almost three caliber stability with that motor, so make sure the winds are light!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  10. Jul 30, 2019 #10

Back_at_it

Back_at_it

Back_at_it

Appreciate it. I'm picking up a 5 foot 1/4" launch rod next week. I'm hoping that will be sufficient to get it in the air with some speed.

Won't try to fly it in wind.

11. Jul 30, 2019 #11

sjh1

sjh1

sjh1

Flew mine on both E and F. Both fly great, but if there is a wind be prepared to hike.

12. Jul 30, 2019 #12

Scott_650

Scott_650

Scott_650

I’ve flown my Mammoth on an E12 with the adapter, in light wind, off a 5ft one piece rod - I forget what it simmed to but by Mark 1 Human Eyeball measurement I’d say 400-ish feet with a reasonable recovery so I’d say a Majestic should fly fine. Yes, all the 3/4FNC E2X PSII rockets are very much over stable so if the wind is much above a light breeze expect some weather cocking.

On the bigger 29mm Estes BP motors the Mammoth is a fun flyer - nice, slow, long burn take off. As stated earlier, if you use the 29mm F motor on a windy day be ready to walk off your breakfast!

GlenP likes this.
  13. Jul 30, 2019 #13

readytorock556

readytorock556

readytorock556

I have a few F24s laying around! Can’t wait for the wet season here.

14. Jul 30, 2019 #14

JeromeK99

JeromeK99

JeromeK99

It's a pretty bird to fly! I like the nose cone and fins. They glimmer in the early morning sun when going up.

We've flown ours on Aerotech D13, E20, F42 with adapters, and 29mm G. Also Estes E and F.

GlenP likes this.
  15. Aug 2, 2019 #15

hobie1dog

hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Brain Fog

Can someone explain some things on the instructions for me?
    Part N (orange composite engine spacer) on the back page it says that spacer is required when using with E16 and F15 engines. I don't see anywhere a Part N is shown being used on the directions. They do show a Part R which is NOT shown on the front page of the assembly exploded view. Did they make a mistake on the back page, calling Part N, Part R?

16. Aug 2, 2019 #16

Scott_650

Scott_650

Scott_650

Yup - that’s a discrepancy. You only use the orange spacers with shorter motors but I thought the PSII 29mm BP motors were the same length as the relabled Aerotech composite motors. I don’t recall having an orange spacer in the box with my Mammoths or Trajectors - those are the only PSII E2X kits I have. I know you don’t need the spacer with the 24/29 adapter.

17. Aug 2, 2019 #17

hobie1dog

hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Brain Fog

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

18. Aug 2, 2019 #18

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

BARGeezer TRF Supporter

+1 to Scott 650, the spacer is to make up the difference between the Estes BP motors and their composite F and Gs which they sold at one time. Most of us just leave the thrust ring off to allow the use of any length of 29mm motor. If you do so, you will need to make a rear thrust ring on BP motors by doing several wraps of 1/4" masking tape on the nozzle end.
    BTW my instruction sheet does not show a part R on the back page, but a part N. You must have gotten one with a typo.
    0802191150.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    hobie1dog likes this.
  19. Aug 4, 2019 #19

JoeTekcor

JoeTekcor

JoeTekcor

IMG_6925.jpg
    Flew it with an F15 today. It flew great! Luckily there was absolutely no wind so the recovery was easy. Didn’t put the altimeter in it so I’m not sure the altitude.

OC-Patrick, hobie1dog and GlenP like this.