• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Estes Mach 2 kit #1379

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with that one... There were only 3 kits that I know that used that nosecone:

1340 SS-1C SCUD-B
1379 Mach-2
1981 D.A.R.T.​

I'm not sure how well any of them sold. Semroc/eRockets.biz might have a balsa nosecone that would fit the bill for a clone job.

its body tubes:
BT-60 18.00"
BT-50J 2.75"​

Last edited:
I saw the nose cone recently, but it doesn't matter if you don't have the decals. Thanks! :)

Ray

I'd recommend that you start a search on Ebay, and save it to alert you if one comes up there. The rockets that use that nosecone seem to be pretty rare.

BUMP

I'm looking for one of these too...

If I'm not wrong, it looks like the fins are a match for the Maxi Icarus, and the kit is basically a Maxi Icarus with a different nosecone and livery. I've tried to view the instructions on JimZ's site, but I'm getting 404 errors.

Anybody got one (or can scan the fins, decals, and instructions (with a ruler))?

BUMP

I'm looking for one of these too...

If I'm not wrong, it looks like the fins are a match for the Maxi Icarus, and the kit is basically a Maxi Icarus with a different nosecone and livery. I've tried to view the instructions on JimZ's site, but I'm getting 404 errors.

Anybody got one (or can scan the fins, decals, and instructions (with a ruler))?

Found the plans on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2016062....org:80/JimZ/estes/est1379_Mach-2/est1379.pdf

PS Sirius rocketry sells a replica of the PNC-60B nose cone in their Moldin' Oldies section.

Found the plans on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2016062....org:80/JimZ/estes/est1379_Mach-2/est1379.pdf

PS Sirius rocketry sells a replica of the PNC-60B nose cone in their Moldin' Oldies section.
THANKS!!!

That link confirmed my suspicion... The fins are part number BF-1331... The same as the Maxi Icarus's fins (PN BF-1331). The Mach-2 is a Maxi Icarus with a different nosecone and with a different paint/decal scheme.

And with you pointing me in the right direction... I found the nosecone at Sirius.

I still need info on the decals. The file on the Wayback machine didn't include a ruler with the decals needed for scale. Really though, all I need now is a width of the wide blue band, and I could scale from that.

Last edited:
OK... Here's my first pass at it, without markings:

upload_2018-9-7_11-3-30.png

Since I don't have the nosecone in my possession quite yet, I used the drawing that John Joseph did for JimZ's archive for the "panel lines". The grooves will be something that can be reproduced when I get my sample, but the raised lines are beyond OR's abilities to faithfully simulate. In my image, both the grooves, and the raised panel lines are simulated with graphical elements.

https://web.archive.org/.../www.../JimZ/estes/est1340h.tif

Back