Estes Lynx Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkweber

Reaction score
3rd Rocket build - the Level 3 Lynx. A smaller rocket than my other two (Photon Probe and Crossbow SST), but had some more intricate fin work as well as the addition of the side "intakes" made from templated BT-5 tubes. There are also tiny vanes to be added to the motor mount. Working on skills to do the Mercury Redstone and Saturn V.

Anyway, to start - here is what it is to look like:Lynx-1.jpg

Here are the parts that come with it. Couple of items of note - the grain on the balsa is very deep and the BT-5 tubes to be used for the air intakes were a bit crushed at the ends.

Lynx-2.jpg

Fins cut out and glued together. You can see the little vanes and launch lug stand-off in the plastic bag.
Lynx-3.jpg

Fins, vanes, nosecone, motor mount end, and tubes filled, primed and sanded. Note, as I mentioned the balsa had very deep grain - it took several sealings to smooth these out.
Lynx-4.jpg

Vanes added to motor mount.
Lynx-5.jpg

Air intakes cut from the BT-5 tube. Shaped, sanded, and the edges firmed up a bit with some CA. Gotta tell you, cutting these out of the thin walled tube (and then having to shape/sand) really sucked. The outside kept wanting to de-laminate at the seams. Had to secure with CA as well.
Lynx-6.jpg

Added the guns (or probes, or whatever they are supposed to be). Sanded the wing ones flat where they are fused with the wing (and then sealed the gaps) so the decals can go over them properly.
Lynx-7.jpg

Back wings, rudder/strake added.
Lynx-8.jpg

Side/Vertical and front fins added. Also added the air intakes.
Lynx-9.jpg

Painting time. Rudder and nose cone canopy get white.
Lynx-10.jpg

After tape removed.Lynx-11.jpg
The rest gets black.
Lynx-12.jpg Lynx-13.jpg
And now for the disheartening news - the decals. I will just come out and say it - this decal sheet was absolute garbage. The main issue is that the decals are white on an essentially white background sheet, so it is impossible to see them. So, Estes was "nice" and printed gray cut-lines. So far that sounds good. However, apparently the decal design was changed from the image on the package and they added a thin white line around all the patterns. Great. Except that the gray cut-line registration wasn't aligned properly and they went over the thin white outline. Didn't realize that until I already had cut some out and was adding this one to the rocket. Tried to salvage it by cutting off the hacked white line with a knife but the decal started shredding. Had to just go with it and keep it on hoping to figure out a way to resolve it later (maybe with black paint or sharpie).
Lynx-14.jpg

I tried to remedy the issue by cutting the decal inside the gray cut-line along a straight edge. But it is impossible to see the white lines and didn't want to go to far in. So, while better still not great.
Lynx-15.jpg

We'll see if I can fix it...

Suggestion: hold the decal up to a light or against a window pane. the white areas will show up and you can mark them (I would go with a pencil on the back of the paper).

Suggestion: hold the decal up to a light or against a window pane. the white areas will show up and you can mark them (I would go with a pencil on the back of the paper).

That is an awesome suggestion (too late, but still awesome). :)

I will keep that in mind if any future model decals have white on white/light background.

Thanks, also if you enjoyed this build Estes has two "companion" kits that use similar design and construction techniques: the Scorpion and Puma. Mini engine powered, fun builds.

I used Sharpie to fix the decal issues. Came out pretty well. It isn't a perfect match to the black and if you hold it at an angle to the light you can see it, but looking straight on (or not up close) you can't really tell. Hopefully once I add clearcoat it will be less noticeable. But even if it isn't it sure is better looking than what it was before.
Lynx-16.png

Back