Estes Lucky Seven

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
This rocket is anything but lucky for me. On almost every flight, it has gotten stuck on the launch rod. I measure altitude with a tape measure.

I flew it today because a guest thought it was "cute" and wanted to see it.

It performed as usual.

The comedy routine can be seen here: https://flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/3283563540/

LS-f1a.jpg

I got one but never gotten around to flying it yet. Now that we (the Challenger 498 Section) launch from an all grass field, I shouldn't have to worry too much about it landing on hard surfaces. The A10-3T should give
it plenty of lifting power.

I got one but never gotten around to flying it yet. Now that we (the Challenger 498 Section) launch from an all grass field, I shouldn't have to worry too much about it landing on hard surfaces. The A10-3T should give
it plenty of lifting power.

You'd think, woundn't ya.

Actually, on the 2 times it did not get caught on the rod, it did quite well with the A10. I'm finally going to do something about it and try a repair.

The only issues I've had with it, is the stubbornness of some of the spent motors not wanting to come out. I think the ejection heat causes the engine casing to fuse a little to the plastic. I yanked so hard one time that I pulled out the motor mount and it's base, but it was easily reattached.

Here's my (a little luckier) Lucky Seven:

Anleu%27s%20Lucky%20Seven.jpg

I'd forgotten about that issue. I do remember having a tough time putting the motor in yesterday. I never did get around to trying to get it out.

I have one flight on my Lucky Seven, but it was actually pretty neat. I popped a detail nozzle and the aft bulkhead loose but I've been known to be stingy with the glue. Not when I reglue it! I liked it enough that I bought another kit at Wal Mart when they blew it out for $3!

I too have the misfortune of owning one of these. Or rather my son does. Fortunately with each attempt at launching it, it doesn't get stuck on the launch rod. Rather for us, by the time the ejection charge hits. Nose cone comes and etc. The "Lucky" Seven, has hit the ground before the parachute can fully deploy. But we keep trying, making a few modifications here and there to the length of the shock cord. Crossing fingers and toes. But the results are still the same.

I have one flight on my Lucky Seven, but it was actually pretty neat. I popped a detail nozzle and the aft bulkhead loose but I've been known to be stingy with the glue. Not when I reglue it! I liked it enough that I bought another kit at Wal Mart when they blew it out for $3!

I like it too. I've just been lazy about doing anything to fix it. It sat in the bottom of a box for a long time. It was having a girl from my church find it and wanting to see it fly that started this whole thing. I'll probably ream out the lugs later this afternoon.

I too have the misfortune of owning one of these. Or rather my son does. Fortunately with each attempt at launching it, it doesn't get stuck on the launch rod. Rather for us, by the time the ejection charge hits. Nose cone comes and etc. The "Lucky" Seven, has hit the ground before the parachute can fully deploy. But we keep trying, making a few modifications here and there to the length of the shock cord. Crossing fingers and toes. But the results are still the same.

I have a few like that. THey are good performers but there seems to be no currently availible motor/ejection configuration that suits them. Fortunately, most of them bounce fairly well.

True. After the first bounce I was a little nervous only to be surprised at how durable it was. One of these days I'm sure it will fly and recover successfully.

True. After the first bounce I was a little nervous only to be surprised at how durable it was. One of these days I'm sure it will fly and recover successfully.

I share the same vain hope...

True to my word, I took the Lucky Seven out in the shop today. I tried a short piece of 1/8" rod and found that it was tight.

Not knowing how else to proceed, I grabbed a drill bit that would almost go through the lugs. I twisted it between my fingers until it slid easily.

Not wanting to take any changes, I then took the next larger bit and did the same thing. This one had to be turned with a pair of pliers after it got started.

I then checked with my short rod and it seemed to fit. I'll try it get time I get a chance.

lug-reaming-1.jpg

lug-reaming-2.jpg

lug-reaming-23.jpg

I've never had an issue with mine sticking on the launch rod but recovering the flying cone is always trouble. Mine has a dinged up nose cone due to impacting terra firma. I almost took it out to play a couple weekends ago but left it on the shelf. Now you have done it, I'll try it this weekend.

I've never had an issue with mine sticking on the launch rod but recovering the flying cone is always trouble. Mine has a dinged up nose cone due to impacting terra firma. I almost took it out to play a couple weekends ago but left it on the shelf. Now you have done it, I'll try it this weekend.

I'm glad somdbody finds me inspiring!

Would you like to join my congregation?;)

I should have done this long ago. I cannot abide hanger queens.

I don't have a single rocket that flies as badly as my Lucky Seven. Gah. "Like a rock." :D

I don't have a single rocket that flies as badly as my Lucky Seven. Gah. "Like a rock." :D

Don't worry. I have PLENTY of rockets that fly badly...and I'm working on a Cosmos Mariner!;)

I am a fan of the Estes Lucky Seven and waxed nostalgic about them before the TRF crash.

Mine flew recently after a long hiatus. I flew off my pad with a standard Estes launch rod. It weathercocked quite a bit more than it's flights off the clubs longer launch rods and the chute opened at about 25 feet. Neither rods are tight in the launch lugs.
I would recommend hitting the rods with WD-40 before flight as any tape residue looks like it will be a showstopper.

I am a fan of the Estes Lucky Seven and waxed nostalgic about them before the TRF crash.

Mine flew recently after a long hiatus. I flew off my pad with a standard Estes launch rod. It weathercocked quite a bit more than it's flights off the clubs longer launch rods and the chute opened at about 25 feet. Neither rods are tight in the launch lugs.
I would recommend hitting the rods with WD-40 before flight as any tape residue looks like it will be a showstopper.

As I recall, the one successful flight I did have with this rocket was with a well lubricated rod. Hopefully, that will be less of an issue now that I have reamed out the lugs.

Our lucky 7 has about 4 or 5 flights, and overall we like it. Once or twice the chute did not fully deploy or the shroud lines broke so it came in a little faster than I'd like but it is fairly durable. The one problem I have had is getting the motor in and out. That thing is tight resulting in me having had to reglue the thing together almost every time after I pulled out the whole bottom of the rocket. But other than that I would recommend it. Easy to build, unique look, and goes nicely on the A10-3T!

Glenn

Our lucky 7 has about 4 or 5 flights, and overall we like it. Once or twice the chute did not fully deploy or the shroud lines broke so it came in a little faster than I'd like but it is fairly durable. The one problem I have had is getting the motor in and out. That thing is tight resulting in me having had to reglue the thing together almost every time after I pulled out the whole bottom of the rocket. But other than that I would recommend it. Easy to build, unique look, and goes nicely on the A10-3T!

Glenn

I've noticed the tight motor fit too but, so far, have been able to "persuade" the spent motor to leave, sometimes with a pair of pliers.

I have a Lucky Seven, that I've flown a lot. The only issues I've had is the tight motor fit, and the shock cord. I replaced the shock cord with kevlar so that was fixed.

Mine always puts in a decent flight and has never been damaged. It's not awesome by any means, but still fun.

I have a Lucky Seven, that I've flown a lot. The only issues I've had is the tight motor fit, and the shock cord. I replaced the shock cord with kevlar so that was fixed.

Mine always puts in a decent flight and has never been damaged. It's not awesome by any means, but still fun.

I'm hoping that with my little mod, mine will become a reliable performer.;)

OK, I'm game. Weather permitting, I'm taking the Lucky Seven out this weekend for a few flights.

I built the Lucky Seven over the weekend and flew it today. As was mentioned by others, I too had to open up the lunch lugs before I could fly it. Other then that it flew quite well. On the first flight I one of the nozzles fell off but I was able to find it right where the Seven landed. I will epoxy this on later. I also elected not to use a parachute because there did not appear to be enough room in the nose of the rocket, I went with a streamer and that worked well also. The nose cone came down nose first but no damage. All in all this is a neat little rocket. I'm glad I bought it. One more thing, I used Kevlar in the nose cone and attached the elastic shock cord to that.

Never had a problem with mine getting stuck on the rod. Getting the chute to open, well, that's another story. The biggest problem I had with mine was getting the motor all the way into the mount; the tube was exceptionally tight. My Lucky Seven always flew fine, but low. One "nose blow" recovery too many a few years ago split the nose cone on the glue line. I really should fix it one of these days. From time to time I have toyed with the idea of building a version of it out of lighter weight materials, like paper and balsa. Maybe not an exact clone of the Estes kit, but something in that size range. And then if I can make that work, then maybe a larger version. So far it has just been a passing thought, though.

Back