Estes Longship kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I just completed my Estes Longship. I made a few minor changes, including making the engine bell gold, put some "sensors" in the nose under the window, and hand painted in some red "reactor areas" on the section in front of the fins. I really think that some decals on the long side fins would have looked good (like struts/girders pattern). Maybe when I build the second kit someday.

First flight(s) will be on an D12-3, and then I have an Aerotech E20-4 I want to try out on it if the winds permit.

32wHC6m.jpg

Aautl1n.jpg

Sku6plR.jpg

CfwB2Fm.jpg

Neil, no, I assembed the whole thing then spray painted it. I had been concerned about it being hard to get spray paint on the inner surface of the ring, but it wasn't that hard after all. Now, getting the inner surface smooth, another story (rough, even after puttying and sanding).

Neil, no, I assembed the whole thing then spray painted it. I had been concerned about it being hard to get spray paint on the inner surface of the ring, but it wasn't that hard after all. Now, getting the inner surface smooth, another story (rough, even after puttying and sanding).
I confess I am not sure how you could get the paint in there without ending up with a ton of excess paint on the fins... but it looks like you got it done really nicely. I am perpetually fretting over paint sequencing, *hate* to have to pre-paint parts, although I do it when I have to.

Nice build. I like the sensors.

I wasn't really satisfied with the way they turned out; they were printed in a strip, and unless I cut out the individual "dots" and positioned them, they didn't align with the curved surface very well. I really would have preferred a large sensor dish in the front of the ship, ala the photon torpedo on Klingon ships in the Trek series/movies.

But they do look decent. :)

Sorry, every time I see this thing I have flashbacks

• Poole: I've got a bad feeling about it.

• Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
    HAL 9000: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Oh I agree. Not sure what to put there. Decals would be really tricky to put on a curved surface like that, and without fancy software to account for the shape, etc, beyond my abilities.

I finally got to fly my Longship yesterday, on the recommended D12-3. Bad flight... the nosecone assembly ejected right before apogee, and flew back and severely damaged one of the outer ring assemblies. The RSO thought that I should fly it on an D12-5 instead, but being as the rocket only goes about 300 feet on a D engine, I am really leery of that idea.

Not going to be an easy fix, unfortunately. I did get several compliments on how nice the rocket looked though.
DSC02266.JPG

DSC02267.JPG

I used 2x the length in kevlar, with 1.5x the length in 1/4" braided cotton elastic (swimsuit elastic).

I have to say, that having flown this rocket 6 times now, and 3 of them the nosecone assembly flew back and broke a fin, I am not pleased. First time was with an D12-3, ejected early and hit the fin, twice more on E12-4s, ejection was after apogee, flew back and hit the fins again.

Great looking design, prone to damage like crazy. I am considering selling my second unbuilt Longship kit, as I don't want to replace the one I have once it leaves me for good.

I have to say, that having flown this rocket 6 times now, and 3 of them the nosecone assembly flew back and broke a fin, I am not pleased. First time was with an D12-3, ejected early and hit the fin, twice more on E12-4s, ejection was after apogee, flew back and hit the fins again.

Great looking design, prone to damage like crazy. I am considering selling my second unbuilt Longship kit, as I don't want to replace the one I have once it leaves me for good.

This is a common issue when the shock cord isn't long enough on just about any rocket. The attachment point of the parachute could also be an issue.

I've got 5 flights on mine with no damage other than some chipped paint on one fin from a gravel landing. The shock cord in mine is 1/4" nylon about 84" long. The parachute is also attached to the shock cord about 4 inches down from the nose cone.

I have a decent length kevlar and 1/4" shockcord on it already, but for the heck of it, maybe I'll lengthen it some and see if it helps.

I have a decent length kevlar and 1/4" shockcord on it already, but for the heck of it, maybe I'll lengthen it some and see if it helps.

Bill, Where is the parachute attached? I've see people attach it in the middle of the shock cord and it allows the nose cone to swing around down by the body during decent. I prefer to have mine attached somewhere between 4 and 12 inches from the nosecone so the the body is well below it should things start spinning during recovery.

I went and measured the kevlar and shockcord. On a 27" rocket, I have 48" of #100 lb kevlar extending out the top of the body tube, and another 48" of 1/4" cotton swimsuit elastic. The parachute is attached 16" from the nosecone.

Between the kevlar and elastic, I've got 8 feet of "shockcord" on the rocket.

Hate to see what happened to that nice looking build. Did you ever consider separate recovery? A streamer for the nosecone should due.

Giving up should not be an option......while your shock cord length does seemed long enough...either make it longer or since it only goes 300 feet...drop nose cone separately on a small chute.

Giving up should not be an option......while your shock cord length does seemed long enough...either make it longer or since it only goes 300 feet...drop nose cone separately on a small chute.

I've never done a seperate parachute for the nosecone, but maybe I ought to give that a try. How would that affect the needed length of shock cord, if the nosecone isn't attached to the body?

drop nose cone separately on a small chute.

This is certainly an option. You could even drop it using a foil type streamer. Assuming you are landing on grass, no harm would come to it.

When i'm flying anything with two separate chutes of streamers, I like to separate then using a sheet of wadding to keep them from getting tangled.

I've never done a seperate parachute for the nosecone, but maybe I ought to give that a try. How would that affect the needed length of shock cord, if the nosecone isn't attached to the body?
Well you could now make it smaller since you are no longer worried about nosecone hitting the body of the rocket. Smaller will also make it easier for you to now pack 2 chutes. That is now, a new issue...can you pack 2 chutes or a chute and streamer into that rocket body

Update on this kit:

I had 11 flights on it. This kit has had a real tendency for the nosecone assembly to snap back and smash fins, etc. Once it even smashed the front end of the body tube. Yesterday was the worst though, as the nosecone wiped out one of the fin struts and knocked off one of the rear plastic hull sections. I can maybe replace the strut, but have no replacements for the missing plastic part. Doubtful it'd be safe to fly with one of them missing due to drag issues, etc I think.

The rocket flies nicely on E20-4s, by the way...

I have a second kit, and if I build it, I may keep this damaged one around for spare parts, etc.

Update on this kit:

I had 11 flights on it. This kit has had a real tendency for the nosecone assembly to snap back and smash fins, etc. Once it even smashed the front end of the body tube. Yesterday was the worst though, as the nosecone wiped out one of the fin struts and knocked off one of the rear plastic hull sections. I can maybe replace the strut, but have no replacements for the missing plastic part. Doubtful it'd be safe to fly with one of them missing due to drag issues, etc I think.

The rocket flies nicely on E20-4s, by the way...

I have a second kit, and if I build it, I may keep this damaged one around for spare parts, etc.
Reading this a year later, how can you get snap back damage on 8 feet of cord. That is what I call High Power length. Could Bill be the only person who gets a D12 with an exceptional ejection charge..I am adding you have not tried dropping the rocket in 2 separate recoveries.

Back