Quantcast

Estes Longship kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Bill S

Reaction score
I just completed my Estes Longship. I made a few minor changes, including making the engine bell gold, put some "sensors" in the nose under the window, and hand painted in some red "reactor areas" on the section in front of the fins. I really think that some decals on the long side fins would have looked good (like struts/girders pattern). Maybe when I build the second kit someday.

First flight(s) will be on an D12-3, and then I have an Aerotech E20-4 I want to try out on it if the winds permit.

neil_w

Chuffed as ninepence
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great! I really like that kit.

Did you pre-paint any of the parts before assembly?

Bill S

Reaction score
Neil, no, I assembed the whole thing then spray painted it. I had been concerned about it being hard to get spray paint on the inner surface of the ring, but it wasn't that hard after all. Now, getting the inner surface smooth, another story (rough, even after puttying and sanding).

neil_w

Chuffed as ninepence
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Neil, no, I assembed the whole thing then spray painted it. I had been concerned about it being hard to get spray paint on the inner surface of the ring, but it wasn't that hard after all. Now, getting the inner surface smooth, another story (rough, even after puttying and sanding).
I confess I am not sure how you could get the paint in there without ending up with a ton of excess paint on the fins... but it looks like you got it done really nicely. I am perpetually fretting over paint sequencing, *hate* to have to pre-paint parts, although I do it when I have to.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice! Great job

Bill S

Reaction score
Nice build. I like the sensors.
I wasn't really satisfied with the way they turned out; they were printed in a strip, and unless I cut out the individual "dots" and positioned them, they didn't align with the curved surface very well. I really would have preferred a large sensor dish in the front of the ship, ala the photon torpedo on Klingon ships in the Trek series/movies.

But they do look decent. :)

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, every time I see this thing I have flashbacks

• Poole: I've got a bad feeling about it.

• Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
    HAL 9000: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Bill S

Reaction score
I added some Space-X decals to my Estes Longship. It needed something on those struts, and I thought that the Space-X logo was appropriate (since I can't see NASA ever building something like this :) )

DSC02249.JPG

DSC02250.JPG

Bill S

Reaction score
Oh I agree. Not sure what to put there. Decals would be really tricky to put on a curved surface like that, and without fancy software to account for the shape, etc, beyond my abilities.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe just a medium sized blue dot.