Estes Loadstar II question

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by Kirk G, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Dec 29, 2014 #1

Kirk G

Kirk G

Kirk G

My son got me an Estes "Loadstar II" for Xmas...

And I'm assembling it this weekend. I note that it has a clear payload area, but a blown nosecone that is supposed to be sawed in half.
    That is, the nose cone AND the reducer coupler are attached... made as one piece. The instructions tell you when preparing the nosecone,
    to slice them in two at the narrow neck so they separate. Then they insert either end of the clear plastic tube to form the payload section.

The question that occurs is about the parachute tie down.... There is one on EACH half...
    A small loop (with an obsuring piece of flashing that must be carved out) exists on both the bottom half of the reducer, AND the bottom half of the remaining nosecone.

Is this expected and normal? Or does this blown plastic nosepiece go to several different rockets, and the tie down is used differently in them?

My kit included one mylar parachute, not two, and I can't imagine why one would want to have a clear plastic payload that also separates from the main tube AND the nosecone.

It just appears to be excess. Can anyone comment?

2. Dec 29, 2014 #2

codysmith

codysmith

codysmith

Same nose cone/transition as other kits... it's normal and you aren't expected to utilize them

3. Dec 29, 2014 #3

TopRamen

TopRamen

TopRamen

SA-5

Just pretend you did'nt notice that second Attachment Point, and build the Rocket.
    It's nothing to worry about.

4. Dec 29, 2014 #4

mikemech

mikemech

mikemech

But KEEP the reducer. One of these days you will design your own rocket and you will use it. Or send it to me.

5. Dec 29, 2014 #5

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Word of warning... On the bottom of the transition, there's a hole. You MUST seal it, or risk the payload and nosecone being ejected while not being attached to the transition. I take a small piece of balsa and glue (use CA) it to the bottom from the outside, then another small piece (larger than the hole) as a backup. I then sand the lower piece to a nice blunted conical tip, and seal it with thin CA glue. Make sure that the CA is FULLY cured before you put it inside your clear payload section, or you risk the white fogging that can ruin the clarity of the piece.

If you build other payload rockets with a balsa tube coupler (e.g. Maxi Icarus), seal the bottom of the balsa for the same reason. Fortunately for me, I found this out before I launched the rocket, and not after.

The nosecone for the Loadstar II (aka Warp II) payload rocket is the PNC-60NA. It's used in rockets such as the:

1301 Storm Caster
    1760 Load Star
    1908 Scrambler-2
    1922 Marauder
    1944 D-Region Tomahawk
    1982 Transtar Carrier
    2022 Warp II
    2056 Patriot
    2070 Bail Out!
    2086 Tomcat
    2113 Starbase Starcruiser
    2156 Prowler
    003218 Laser Lance

I've also used it for my Cherokee G(oon), and a modified version of the Sentinel. It's part of the PNC-60A nosecone pack that you can get from Estes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  6. Dec 29, 2014 #6

kyle

kyle

kyle

I like hanging my Altimeter II from the attachment point inside the payload bay. Just build it and fly it, it's a fun little rocket.

7. Dec 30, 2014 #7

REDONE

REDONE

REDONE

I am also building a loadstar II. This whole thing is functionally one piece. Both sections of the nosecone are supposed to be tight in the payload tube. The instructions even state that if it's not tight you should add a wrap of tape so that it fits tighter.
    [​IMG]

This is the hole that K'tesh is talking about. If you don't tape over it there is the possibility that the ejection charge from the engine will pop the nosecone or payload tube apart instead of ejecting the whole cone/payload bay assembly to deploy the 'chute.

[​IMG]

The little nub'n inbetween the two cone sections can be cut off or left in place, totally inconsequential. Hope this helps and that you have fun!

8. Dec 30, 2014 #8

Kirk G

Kirk G

Kirk G

Thank you for your comments. I can ignore the second tiedown...but the secondary hole is a good comment. I can seal that right away. Thanks!

I noticed that you had painted the entire nosecone, including the inserted part..., but the reducer, you've left white. When I started painting mine, I masked off the inserted portions, and only primed the exposed portion gray...but haven't settled on the final color. I'm thinking it's going to be too tight with two layers of paint over the inserted snug parts. And if I sand it off/down to fit, I'm likely to expose the white plastic underneath. Dilemma ...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  9. Dec 30, 2014 #9

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

One option is to pain the exposed section, and the conical section behind (or for the transition, ahead of) the shoulder, then paint the clear plastic to conceal the unpainted shoulder. I usually just paint the entire nosecone and transition, and paint bands at the top and bottom of the clear plastic.

Pointy Side Up!
    Jim

10. Jan 21, 2015 #10

Kirk G

Kirk G

Kirk G

I took your suggestion and reglued the open hole...and also painted my nosecone neon green from a leftover rattle can. But unfortunately, I had already glued the clear tube onto transition piece, so the opening to the payload is at the top, not bottom. And that affected which inside got painted... Oh well.

11. Sep 29, 2018 #11

MFToast

MFToast

MFToast

I'm assembling one of these with my nephew and I don't see anything in the documentation about actual payload or payload weight. Can we put something in the clear payload section? I figure it needs to be something pretty light, but is there a specific weight?

12. Sep 29, 2018 #12

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Download my .ork file for the kit, then using a mass object, see what is safe and what isn't for your motor selection...

[​IMG]
    http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123564-K-Tesh-s-OpenRocket-files&p=1443676#post1443676

13. Sep 29, 2018 #13

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Master of Rivets

If my time at the space and rocket center was a clue, it could benefit from something in the nose to move the CG forward. The space academy kids that built them had particularly interesting flights on a regular basis