Estes - Leviathan (#9700) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Still have to finish some pinstriping but other than that is done, looks alot better in pics than in person! Not very clean masking lines, but thats something I am working on getting better at

That statement pretty much encapsulate my entire rocket career. Just broaden it out to include other skills as well.

View attachment 127253

For the Nose cone and upper pattern I used Rustoleum Colorshift, it changes from Blue-Purple-Green....

Update on this one, since building my MDRM I have decided to sand down the Leviathan and re-paint using the same paint but sanding and filling and doing a better job on masking. Might change a little on the scheme not sure though. Will post pics during and as soon as its done.

Flew this for my L1 Certification on a CTI H87-9. Its had a number of flights before though with Aerotech F40 and F52 29/40-120 reloads. The decal I designed and printed using Testors Clear Water Slide Decal Paper.

Leviathan4.jpg

Leviathan H87-9 (2).jpg

My wife and I just finished our second Leviathan. We built this one to take to the Detroit Maker Faire and let everyone sign it. We took most of our favorite rockets to display as well as a video she put togeth from pictures and onboard video from our launches.
MakerExpresslr.jpg

Here's mine:

leviathan.jpg

An entire cans of Rusto fluorescent pink. Actually 1.5 since I mistakenly grabbed the white instead of the clear and had to redo it :facepalm:

Last edited:
Repaint finally Done! A CTI G83 Blue Streak should give it a nice ride!

IMG_2741.jpg

I cloned a Leviathan from a Big Daddy lower tube and nose cone. I went w/ the catalog paint scheme because I fell in love with that lime green/gun metal combo! I added some orange Trim Monokote accents...haven't flown it yet, our club launches seem to fall on windy/rainy days unlike the beautiful day we are having today:eyeroll:

DSC_5673.jpg

I flew this modified Leviathan for the first time today on a G40. Great flight! It's painted with DuraCoat gun finish and Nasan 2K automotive paint. I added pearls to the volcano grey and the clear coat. It's kinda shiny which makes getting a good picture difficult. I named it Mr. Creepy.

I cloned a Leviathan from a Big Daddy lower tube and nose cone. I went w/ the catalog paint scheme because I fell in love with that lime green/gun metal combo! I added some orange Trim Monokote accents...haven't flown it yet, our club launches seem to fall on windy/rainy days unlike the beautiful day we are having today:eyeroll:

Finally our club got to launch today and it was a beautiful day! Flew the Leviathan on an F50 motor...nice flight, it landed on a hard-packed gravel road and chipped the tip off one of the fins, but it was a nice flight. I taped an "808" keychain camera to it and got a nice video...here is the pad picture, some frame grabs from the video (which is here on youtube). Please note the color-coordinated "Frog" painter's tape used to attach the camera :lol:

side note: anybody know how to change the date stamp on these cheapie ($10) cams?

DSC_5904MR.jpg

vlcsnap-00015.jpg

vlcsnap-00016.jpg

vlcsnap-00017.jpg

vlcsnap-00018.jpg

Here's another Superman themed Leviathan for the gallery. I'll add more pictures when I get her on a launch pad and have some launch pics.

Superman Decal 05.jpg

Last edited:
I really love the Estes Pro II series kits. So quick and easy to build, and they fly great! Here's my Leviathan ready for it's first flight on a F26FJ back in November at MDRA. I've got the Nike Smoke ready for color, and am just starting a Ventris.

IMG_0329.jpg

All very nice! Here was mine. Was, because I lost it on its maiden launch. :( StickerShock23 decals in Ravens purple. ;)

100_3569.jpg

Might as well throw mine up there. My first Mid Power build. Nothing Fancy.

Leviathan.jpg

Here are some pictures of my Leviathan, my first real MPR rocket, finished March 2014.

I built it stock except for a steel eyebolt in the centering ring to anchor a kevlar leader that is then connected to the stock shock cord. it also has a heavy duty swivel and a quick connect.

I painted it using Rustoleum rattle can paint, and did a fade effect that I was really happy with!

Leviathan7.jpg

Leviathan1.jpg

Attachments

• Leviathan2.jpg
    Leviathan2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Leviathan3.jpg
    Leviathan3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Leviathan4.jpg
    Leviathan4.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Leviathan5.jpg
    Leviathan5.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Leviathan6.jpg
    Leviathan6.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 211
Here's an unfinished Leviathan, next to a stretched Leviathan (extra body tube),a tennis ball, and a schnoodle named Murray.

attachment.php

The stretched version was built for a business (name withheld), as an advertisement. I'm hoping to build more for the company. So, until I get the go/no go on that, I'll keep it under my hat.

Rocket features papered fins, a 15" stuffer tube added to the motor tube, a variation of the 1/2 moon baffle, and suspension points (made from paperclips) that don't interfere with the launch lugs. Decals by StickerShock

Attachments

• comercial build suspension point II.jpg
    comercial build suspension point II.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 53
  • comercial build suspension point.jpg
    comercial build suspension point.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Here's an unfinished Leviathan, next to a stretched Leviathan (extra body tube),a tennis ball, and a schnoodle named Murray.

attachment.php

The stretched version was built for a business (name withheld), as an advertisement. I'm hoping to build more for the company. So, until I get the go/no go on that, I'll keep it under my hat.

Rocket features papered fins, a 15" stuffer tube added to the motor tube, a variation of the 1/2 moon baffle, and suspension points (made from paperclips) that don't interfere with the launch lugs.

Nice! The stretched Leviathan looks great!

Here are some pictures of my Leviathan, my first real MPR rocket, finished March 2014.

I built it stock except for a steel eyebolt in the centering ring to anchor a kevlar leader that is then connected to the stock shock cord. it also has a heavy duty swivel and a quick connect.

I painted it using Rustoleum rattle can paint, and did a fade effect that I was really happy with!

WOW TB!!!! That fade job is be-you-tee-full!!!

Nice! The stretched Leviathan looks great!

K'Tesh, that stretch job is really nice!

Thanks guys!

BTW, sorry it's late Thirsty, but that fade job you did on yours IS like rocketguy101 said. Absolutely BEAUTEEEFULL!

I learned a lot in the building of this rocket, (how to prevent runs in the thin CA that protects the edges of the paper (squeegeeing it), and how to build bombproof fin cans (that are well aligned)). I can't wait to get my personal clone of #1 finished now. Plus due to all the crazy situations with UPS, I've got several spares to work with. Originally my customer ordered two (I ordered one), then there was the warranty replacement for the damaged parts which got lost, their replacements, and the lost ones are found again... less the one given to the customer. I now have 6 Leviathans left. One's slated for stretching, one for stock build (same color scheme as stretch), and the other four???

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Last edited:
WOW TB!!!! That fade job is be-you-tee-full!!!

BTW, sorry it's late Thirsty, but that fade job you did on yours IS like rocketguy101 said. Absolutely BEAUTEEEFULL!

Thanks!

I was very happy with it. You can see in the thumbnails how many colors it took to get the fade, but all except for one were in partial cans that I already had sitting around the house. I actually found this paint job to be easier and definitely quicker than other paint jobs that require different colors to dry between coats and complicated masking.

Of course, like all rocket paint jobs, this one has been damaged by hard landings! Time for another one!

Flying on an F23-4FJ at moffet yesterday. Flew really great to around 500-600 feet and deployed near apogee. This was the second flight of this rocket, the first one was an F50-4t to 939 feet (According to the Altimeter2, although I didn't have it set up very well for that flight). It's pretty beat up but it flies very well and was my first MPR.

Attachments

• CIMG0371.jpg
    CIMG0371.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 60
Flying on an F23-4FJ at moffet yesterday. Flew really great to around 500-600 feet and deployed near apogee. This was the second flight of this rocket, the first one was an F50-4t to 939 feet (According to the Altimeter2, although I didn't have it set up very well for that flight). It's pretty beat up but it flies very well and was my first MPR.

How did you like that motor? I didn't bring my Leviathan to the launch, but when I do, I usually use the Econojet motors for it, and I think they work really well for that field.

I really liked it- first time I've flown a blackjack motor. It banked a bit into the wind but deployed at apogee and drifted back to right near the mid power pads:
CIMG0392.jpg
I upgraded it a bit before flying it yesterday. It still has the trifold shock cord mount, but I added a madcow chute protector, switched to a 30" madcow chute, and cut off half of the nose cone shoulder and added a bulkhead (the sloped stock nose cone shoulder can cause chute deployment problems).

The Econojets are great for Moffet. You can fly bigger motors in the Leviathan at moffet, but I like the altitude of the leviathan on the Econojets (around 500-600 feet). Are you going to fly yours at October skies? We could try a Econojet drag race.

Back