Estes Leo Space Train

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I built the new Estes Leo Space Train, and must say the build itself is pretty easy for cool looking rocket. Looks like this design was copied from the Boeing Phantom. The build itself was pretty quick, I had her ready to paint in a day in a half. I brushed on 2-3 coats of Brodak balsa sealer for light grain free balsa finish. I don't use fillers so I believe that keeps the weight down. I sprayed a light coat of white primer followed by Rusto professional Gloss white. It was raining so it was another week before I could mask and spray the Rusto Gloss grey. For the first time since using the Rusto professional paint I did get some wrinkling in the paint in small areas, and I don't understand why this happened. So because I had to fix this and was delayed by rain, it took awhile before I could apply the gloss black. The decals went on with no issues and final weight is 3.2oz with chute and shock cord. Advertised weight is 3.4 oz. I built the entire rocket first so I ended up having to do a lot of masking. You could paint this rocket in subassemblies and this would make painting much easier. Not the best paint job, but it came out ok but still a cool design.

Attachments

• DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0063.JPG
    DSC_0063.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_0066.JPG
    DSC_0066.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_0069.JPG
    DSC_0069.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC_0080.JPG
    DSC_0080.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC_0083.JPG
    DSC_0083.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC_0090.JPG
    DSC_0090.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_0096.JPG
    DSC_0096.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Leo.jpg
    Leo.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 183
Until this build the Professional line has been great. For unknown reasons when I applied the grey paint over the gloss white, I did some wrinkling in the paint. I allowed the white paint to dry over a week so it should not have happened. I will continue using this paint unless I have further issues.

I am also on board the LEO Space Train, and the Low Boom SST wagon. Glad to see these new Estes kits with relevance to modern day developmental concepts.

I added a C63 engine with wadding, and my rocket came it at 4oz, so you are right it is borderline. To be honest I don't know how Estes figures the weight of the finished model since there finishing recommendations add a lot of weight. I used balsa sealer, and that adds a little weight. I use a light coat of primer and light coat of paint. Estes has the builder fill balsa with multiple coats of primer before painting. I have tried this, and while it works it does add considerable amount of weight.

I added a C63 engine with wadding, and my rocket came it at 4oz, so you are right it is borderline. To be honest I don't know how Estes figures the weight of the finished model since there finishing recommendations add a lot of weight. I used balsa sealer, and that adds a little weight. I use a light coat of primer and light coat of paint. Estes has the builder fill balsa with multiple coats of primer before painting. I have tried this, and while it works it does add considerable amount of weight.
How would it go with a Quest Jet 18mm D?

Problems

Not sure how it would affect stability, may need nose weight (although maaaaybeeee you can check CG with recommended motor and then put the D motor in and add weight to being CG back to same location.)

https://www.rocketreviews.com/compare-motors---estes-c6-to-quest-d16-q-jet.html
The above links to a comparison of the two motors. Surprisingly the Q-Jet D at 25.7 gm is not much more than the Estes C at 23.1 gm. I looked up the QJet on the quest site and for the D16-8 (only one I could find on their site it lists weight as 25.7 gm, but Estes Site engine chart lists the C6-3 as 24.9 gm. Either way, not nearly as much difference as I expected.). The quicker kick will get you up to speed faster so may be MORE STABLE,

D Will give you more altitude, which depending on launch site and winds you may NOT want.

another potential issue is whether the extra “kick” from the D will rip the wings off, I doubt it.

Interestingly, I ran it on ThrustCurve.Org, using 1.64 inc diameter, 3.2 oz dry weight, complex rocket, rough finish (your finish is slick, but given complexity of rocket, I am using rough as conservative, maybe that isn’t correct.)

It list both the C6 and the D as viable

It puts Weight as 3.9 oz for C and 4.1 for D

Launch velocity is estimated as HIGHER for C at 52 fps, for D at 48 fps.

Altitude at 308 ft vs 363 respectively.

Absolutely gorgeous - great work!

I see you put the "Fuel" Port decal on the engine bell. Why there? I cannot see anywhere online where this decal goes? Search on the Phantom Express, XS-1, X-37...

Where do these fuel ports go on these type vehicles?

You can see the decal in this picture in the instructions.

Attachments

• E Leo Space Train 33.JPG
    E Leo Space Train 33.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 41
I built the new Estes Leo Space Train, and must say the build itself is pretty easy for cool looking rocket. Looks like this design was copied from the Boeing Phantom. The build itself was pretty quick, I had her ready to paint in a day in a half. I brushed on 2-3 coats of Brodak balsa sealer for light grain free balsa finish. I don't use fillers so I believe that keeps the weight down. I sprayed a light coat of white primer followed by Rusto professional Gloss white. It was raining so it was another week before I could mask and spray the Rusto Gloss grey. For the first time since using the Rusto professional paint I did get some wrinkling in the paint in small areas, and I don't understand why this happened. So because I had to fix this and was delayed by rain, it took awhile before I could apply the gloss black. The decals went on with no issues and final weight is 3.2oz with chute and shock cord. Advertised weight is 3.4 oz. I built the entire rocket first so I ended up having to do a lot of masking. You could paint this rocket in subassemblies and this would make painting much easier. Not the best paint job, but it came out ok but still a cool design.
You spray painted the black trim on wings?? If Yes, amazing.

I ordered a Leo today.

Watching the above video, it's cool the space plane rocket was aero braking like the Boeing engineers designed it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210206-235346~2.png
    Screenshot_20210206-235346~2.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 22
OK... Just getting a look at this kit for the first time really... I can see that this is a new nosecone... (or at least for me) I can see what looks like indentations for windows, but other than that, is it symmetrical? like most round nosecones, or is the "point" offset from the centerline (like so many of the cockpit nosecones (Crusader, Space Shuttle, Interceptor, Starship Nova types))?

OK... Just getting a look at this kit for the first time really... I can see that this is a new nosecone... (or at least for me) I can see what looks like indentations for windows, but other than that, is it symmetrical? like most round nosecones, or is the "point" offset from the centerline (like so many of the cockpit nosecones (Crusader, Space Shuttle, Interceptor, Starship Nova types))?
Offset. And I think it is a new nose cone.

The Boeing space plane has an offset pointed nose, does the kit come with one?

I will build mine in stock configuration.

I wonder if someone could try this:

Glide recovery: have the engine bay kick back or kick out with its own streamer. While gluing up the kit I'll glue in the engine bay last just to see if possible.

2 Engines! I didn't check the tube sizes but perhaps another engine could fit in the helper booster. To make this change however, the wings and the helper booster need to be realigned (so no scorching) so may need a lot of testing in RS.

thoughts?

P.S. the onboard camera is so interesting. What brand of camera?
Very cool how the space plane levels out. May be neat trying a smaller chute or streamer to get more level film.
I noticed that my Pegasus clone belly flops nicely as well. I really like asymmetrical space plane rockets.

Back