Quantcast

Estes Leo Space Train

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I built the new Estes Leo Space Train, and must say the build itself is pretty easy for cool looking rocket. Looks like this design was copied from the Boeing Phantom. The build itself was pretty quick, I had her ready to paint in a day in a half. I brushed on 2-3 coats of Brodak balsa sealer for light grain free balsa finish. I don't use fillers so I believe that keeps the weight down. I sprayed a light coat of white primer followed by Rusto professional Gloss white. It was raining so it was another week before I could mask and spray the Rusto Gloss grey. For the first time since using the Rusto professional paint I did get some wrinkling in the paint in small areas, and I don't understand why this happened. So because I had to fix this and was delayed by rain, it took awhile before I could apply the gloss black. The decals went on with no issues and final weight is 3.2oz with chute and shock cord. Advertised weight is 3.4 oz. I built the entire rocket first so I ended up having to do a lot of masking. You could paint this rocket in subassemblies and this would make painting much easier. Not the best paint job, but it came out ok but still a cool design.

Attachments

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Mine came in the mail yesterday, along with a Low Boom SST. Both have been pushed to the front of the build cue, after the Colossus clone is built.

neil_w

"Between builds"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very very nice build as always!

I sprayed a light coat of white primer followed by Rusto professional Gloss white.
How do you like the professional line? I see lots of folks talking about it but I'm not quite sure how it's different from the 2x.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Until this build the Professional line has been great. For unknown reasons when I applied the grey paint over the gloss white, I did some wrinkling in the paint. I allowed the white paint to dry over a week so it should not have happened. I will continue using this paint unless I have further issues.

GlenP

Reaction score
I am also on board the LEO Space Train, and the Low Boom SST wagon. Glad to see these new Estes kits with relevance to modern day developmental concepts.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I added a C63 engine with wadding, and my rocket came it at 4oz, so you are right it is borderline. To be honest I don't know how Estes figures the weight of the finished model since there finishing recommendations add a lot of weight. I used balsa sealer, and that adds a little weight. I use a light coat of primer and light coat of paint. Estes has the builder fill balsa with multiple coats of primer before painting. I have tried this, and while it works it does add considerable amount of weight.

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed that the B6-2 actually has a higher lift off weight than the C6-3. The B6-2 has a shorter delay, and the same initial kick over the first 0.7 seconds as the C6-3. The tail of the thrust on a C6-3 is only 4 N, (14 oz), so a 4.5 oz rocket would only experience an acceleration of 2G during that portion. Not much.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I added a C63 engine with wadding, and my rocket came it at 4oz, so you are right it is borderline. To be honest I don't know how Estes figures the weight of the finished model since there finishing recommendations add a lot of weight. I used balsa sealer, and that adds a little weight. I use a light coat of primer and light coat of paint. Estes has the builder fill balsa with multiple coats of primer before painting. I have tried this, and while it works it does add considerable amount of weight.
How would it go with a Quest Jet 18mm D?

Problems

Not sure how it would affect stability, may need nose weight (although maaaaybeeee you can check CG with recommended motor and then put the D motor in and add weight to being CG back to same location.)

The above links to a comparison of the two motors. Surprisingly the Q-Jet D at 25.7 gm is not much more than the Estes C at 23.1 gm. I looked up the QJet on the quest site and for the D16-8 (only one I could find on their site it lists weight as 25.7 gm, but Estes Site engine chart lists the C6-3 as 24.9 gm. Either way, not nearly as much difference as I expected.). The quicker kick will get you up to speed faster so may be MORE STABLE,

D Will give you more altitude, which depending on launch site and winds you may NOT want.

another potential issue is whether the extra “kick” from the D will rip the wings off, I doubt it.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Interestingly, I ran it on ThrustCurve.Org, using 1.64 inc diameter, 3.2 oz dry weight, complex rocket, rough finish (your finish is slick, but given complexity of rocket, I am using rough as conservative, maybe that isn’t correct.)

It list both the C6 and the D as viable

It puts Weight as 3.9 oz for C and 4.1 for D

Launch velocity is estimated as HIGHER for C at 52 fps, for D at 48 fps.

Altitude at 308 ft vs 363 respectively.

Huxter

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous - great work!

I see you put the "Fuel" Port decal on the engine bell. Why there? I cannot see anywhere online where this decal goes? Search on the Phantom Express, XS-1, X-37...

Where do these fuel ports go on these type vehicles?

rklapp

NAR# 109557
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I put the fuel port (small decal) on the opposite side from the US flag. Seemed to make sense being next to the engines.

jrap330

Retired Engineer, NAR # 76940
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I built the new Estes Leo Space Train, and must say the build itself is pretty easy for cool looking rocket. Looks like this design was copied from the Boeing Phantom. The build itself was pretty quick, I had her ready to paint in a day in a half. I brushed on 2-3 coats of Brodak balsa sealer for light grain free balsa finish. I don't use fillers so I believe that keeps the weight down. I sprayed a light coat of white primer followed by Rusto professional Gloss white. It was raining so it was another week before I could mask and spray the Rusto Gloss grey. For the first time since using the Rusto professional paint I did get some wrinkling in the paint in small areas, and I don't understand why this happened. So because I had to fix this and was delayed by rain, it took awhile before I could apply the gloss black. The decals went on with no issues and final weight is 3.2oz with chute and shock cord. Advertised weight is 3.4 oz. I built the entire rocket first so I ended up having to do a lot of masking. You could paint this rocket in subassemblies and this would make painting much easier. Not the best paint job, but it came out ok but still a cool design.
You spray painted the black trim on wings?? If Yes, amazing.

Huxter

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
SCIGS30 you have eagle eyes - I looked for many minutes and still could not find where!

rklapp - That's more of where I was thinking.

Thank you