Estes Javelin 2005 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Continuing with some of my older not so exciting kits, I decided to build the Estes Javelin. I know these are not exciting builds, but they are older kits that deserve to be opened and built, then flown. Thanks to old formula Krylon Acryli-Quik I am able to finish my build in 3 days. No waiting a week for my paint to dry. The balsa was more like contest airplane balsa, light and die crushed. The fins could have used some balsa filler where the edges were crushed, but I just left it alone. The build was done in one night, allowed the glue to dry overnight. Next day applied 3 coats of balsa sealer for a smooth finish. The balsa sealer is great, takes the soft balsa and turns it into a durable fin. After sanding the last coat of sealer, I sprayed a light coat of primer, let dry an hour and shot the Krylon Silver. Let that dry over night, then masked and shot glossy black. After a couple of hours, I applied the decals.

Attachments

• DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0020 (2)_LI.jpg
    DSC_0020 (2)_LI.jpg
    847.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0023.JPG
    DSC_0023.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 41
Sorry, that is a model airplane term. It is when the Die Cutter crushes the balsa instead of a nice clean cut through the balsa. I circled the edges of the balsa to show the damaged balsa from the cutter. Normally I will use a filler for the crushed portions, this time I just did the best I could with sanding.

What is this die crushed balsa of which you speak?
In ye olde times before laser cutters, kit fins were mechanically cut with die cutting machines.
So the term for balsa parts cut this way is die cut, but we disparagingly call them die crushed because that's what frequently happens to the edges.
😁

Last edited:
Sorry, that is a model airplane term. It is when the Die Cutter crushes the balsa instead of a nice clean cut through the balsa. I circled the edges of the balsa to show the damaged balsa from the cutter. Normally I will use a filler for the crushed portions, this time I just did the best I could with sanding.
Oh! Got it!

In ye olde times before laser cutters, kit fins were mechanically cut with die cutting machines.
So the term for balsa parts cut this way is die cut, but we disparagingly call them die crushed because that's what frequently happens to the edges.
😁
To this day, I still prefer printed balsa or die cut balsa over laser cut. Call me crazy, but it is part of the skill to building models.

I’m thinking most of the balsa fins in the older Custom Rocket Company kits are die cut (crushed) ?

Nice build, I like the reverse slant italic font of the logo, kind of unique. I was almost thinking of the Centuri Javelin. That one was around for a while, back before they included decals for the name of the rocket, just distinctive roll bars, the name was added later on. But, I digress, thanks for sharing another cool build of a classic Estes rocket of the same name but still just as sweet!

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri74/74cen18.html
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri83/83cen4.html

Nice thing about laser cut is that the fins *should* be consistent in their shape (I can't think of why they wouldn't, but it's possible). Die-crushed has its value in the nostalgia factor for me. However, I hate it when you get laser cut fins that are supposed to match the die cut fins, and don't. The Estes Cherokee-E's laser cut fins are not an exact match to the die-crushed fins of the Cherokee-D. For most the difference is minimal, but for me, due to my familiarity with it (ie having an actual sample), I was able to spot it right off.

Nice thing about laser cut is that the fins *should* be consistent in their shape (I can't think of why they wouldn't, but it's possible). Die-crushed has its value in the nostalgia factor for me. However, I hate it when you get laser cut fins that are supposed to match the die cut fins, and don't. The Estes Cherokee-E's laser cut fins are not an exact match to the die-crushed fins of the Cherokee-D. For most the difference is minimal, but for me, due to my familiarity with it (ie having an actual sample), I was able to spot it right off.
I believe the Estes Der Red Max Laser Cut fins are also not the same dimensions.

I believe the Estes Der Red Max Laser Cut fins are also not the same dimensions.

Agreed. I always document my kits in a notebook just in case something goes wrong I can always build another. I had a trace of the fins from my Der Red Max from back in 80's when I was a kid. I compared them to the Der Red Max I built a few years back and the fin shape was not the same. Thankfully the new fins were larger so I could mark the differences and cut the correct shape. It's minor but it's different.

BTW. Love the old school Javelin. I have an upscale in either 2.0 or 2.5 coming soon.

As an alternative to balsa or wood filler on the end grain of a crushed die-cut fin, you can run a light bead of white glue on that edge and wipe off the excess. If you let it dry edge up it will sort of level itself and then you can sand it smooth. I also do that on my laminated cardstock fins to help keep them from delaminating. If excessive, you can also make your own filler by mixing in some sanding dust from some of the balsa scrap.

Back