Estes Interceptor (K-50 or #1250) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ATJOE,
I love changing the colors around. Keeping the layout but trying new color schemes. You'll find the more you're here the more you'll pickup from others.

These all look really nice. Great work and great imagination on them all. I'm almost to the end of my Interceptor E build. As soon as I am done I will get it posted on here. It is a standard kit but slightly to highly modified.

These all look really nice. Great work and great imagination on them all. I'm almost to the end of my Interceptor E build. As soon as I am done I will get it posted on here. It is a standard kit but slightly to highly modified.

My small collection of slightly to highly modified Interceptors---you've seen most of them in builds---DSCF0031.JPGDSCF0032.JPG

I give you... AIRWOLF Interceptor... (Google Airwolf for those that don't know)

Dual deployment, plywood fins, Garmin GPS tracker in nose, two interchangeable motor mounts (24-29mm) with retention. First flight on an H128 was 1911 ft at 450 mph.

Next flight will be on a CTI Pro 24 6 grain Green.

721a2dcf.jpg

6f8e0e98.jpg

b04cdf9e.jpg

d63e47e8.jpg

0c58b6f0.jpg

7667c795.jpg

da6dfa75.jpg

340605ac.jpg

e2ad94e5.jpg

b5d47ffe.jpg

3bc2f299.jpg

49d329d7.jpg

Last edited:
I figured I'd want to take a bunch of pics of this rare bird before it's first flight today - well, because... you know how things can go. I dug this one out of my attic after buying it on special at a Hobby Lobby back in the 90's... thankfully I never built it as a teen!! :)

Things were going great and the rocket was looking awesome, up until I shot the first coat of clear. It started to bead up on the decals... so I'm not sure why it was doing that. It literally made me sick to my stomach after all the work I did on it. :( I used water and a drop of dishsoap a few weeks ago when I applied the decals and then after it was too late, I realized I didn't wipe down the rocket with much more than a damp towel before clear coating to remove dust. I'm assuming some of the dishsoap residue may have done it? Live and learn I guess, right? If she survives some flights today, I'll come back and wet sand the clear after a few weeks to make sure it's good and hard and get it all smooth and uniform, then shoot one more coat to make it look good.

I did take a lot of pics during the build with the intention of doing a build thread, but since it's an OOP kit, I figured, what was the point?

Here's some pics:

View attachment 122023View attachment 122024View attachment 122025View attachment 122026View attachment 122027

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• IMG_2589.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Interceptor G 1.jpg
    Interceptor G 1.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 220
  • Interceptor G 2.jpg
    Interceptor G 2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Interceptor G 3.jpg
    Interceptor G 3.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
So we come to the demise of my InnerCeptor. This is really an NCR Interceptor G that I obtained from the family of a friend who passed away several years ago. I resurrected it from the dust bin, painted it, add my own decals, and flew it for the past few years.

Here it is on the pad with a 118-G64W-4 (48% a full G).

10503710734_e9a3de8f45_b.jpg

Liftoff was fantastic. (And yes that dude waved his awareness, and no he is not really that close... the lens is zoomed in and the photo cropped)

10503714844_5835af0546_b.jpg

The delay was fine... but the chute tangled and that was that. The Mojave is not forgiving on rockets. Even though there was a bit of a streamer effect the nose split in two. The aft was pretty much totaled.

So it retires. Two owners. Lots of flights. All G's I think. I hope I did the previous owner proud. Were this my only 'oopsie' of the day... :facepalm:

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
My recently finished Interceptor-E, decals by Excelsior. Flies great on a E15-4w.

DSCN2015.jpg

Back