Estes Interceptor isn't ejecting wadding

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I've been flying an Estes Interceptor, and have noticed something odd about the rocket. I built it with a Kevlar removeable shockcord, with a 1.5" wide piece of blue painters tape at the top to reduce the chance of a zipper (and treated the tube end with CA glue and sanded it down).

The instructions recommend 5-6 sheets of wadding. I initially tried 6 pieces, but due to the nosecone being a little snug, it was not ejecting the wadding at all - the wadding was stopping around the end of the body tube. It was ejecting the parachute though. But my biggest concern was that the wadding was smouldering and I didn't want it to damage the body tube.

I sanded down the nosecone a little, and went to 5 sheets of wadding, and its still not ejecting the wadding, even when the blue tape fell off and I failed to notice it. While it hasn't caused any problems with parachute deployment, I don't want the rocket to be damaged by smouldering wadding if I can help it.

Is this typical for rockets of this diameter (1.3")?

Not typical for non modified recovery systems. You just have too much anti zipper stuff causing friction and impeding the wadding from being blown out. 6 sheets of wadding is over kill. A pinch of dog barf - just enough to form a piston is all that is needed. Maybe one sheet additional wadding on top if you notice any chute scorching. Cut the wide blue tape down. Put some talcum powder in the tube and chute. Nose cone just needs to be tight enough not to fall put when rocket fully loaded and held by nose cone.

Although bulletproofing and long Kevlar shock cords with anti simpering systems is totally cool and looks just like the big boys, it really is not needed with a Lpr rocket. Even using a Quest D16 a pinch of dog barf and a longer piece of quality underwear elastic is more than adequate to avoid zippering or Estes dents/smiles.
Watch your delays and chute configuration in windy conditions.

Not typical for non modified recovery systems. You just have too much anti zipper stuff causing friction and impeding the wadding from being blown out. 6 sheets of wadding is over kill. A pinch of dog barf - just enough to form a piston is all that is needed. Maybe one sheet additional wadding on top if you notice any chute scorching. Cut the wide blue tape down. Put some talcum powder in the tube and chute. Nose cone just needs to be tight enough not to fall put when rocket fully loaded and held by nose cone.

Although bulletproofing and long Kevlar shock cords with anti simpering systems is totally cool and looks just like the big boys, it really is not needed with a Lpr rocket. Even using a Quest D16 a pinch of dog barf and a longer piece of quality underwear elastic is more than adequate to avoid zippering or Estes dents/smiles.
Watch your delays and chute configuration in windy conditions.
I do what you do except I make a cup from the sheet of wadding and put the dog barf inside it.

I do what you do except I make a cup from the sheet of wadding and put the dog barf inside it.

Sometimes with the Scouts we make dog barf sandwiches if a cup-o-barf is not enough. Still more is adding some dog barf sprinkles. Good humor and I encourage them to pick up any intact sheets because reusing it is cool.

Ok you guys, this was your great idea; now how do I get the secret sauce outa the body tube????:mad:
The ejection residue gives it extra smoky flavor . I would think most would end up on the chute and anti zipper tape. If I leave the nose cone off after bringing home a flown rocket I can be sure the cat will lick everything clean. Also , if you can find the perfect diameter pickle slice it would be an awesome organic piston deployment system.
:)

Just realized potato is the correct spelling. Potatoes is correct for plurality. For that, I now apologize.

Not having the wadding ejecting is a problem?

It saves money on the stuff. I'd reuse it. And hold the mustard and onions.

You say potato I say potato, you say tomato, I say tomato, or some such. Either way, it'd probably actually work even though it was intended as a joke. Unless falling potato (e) slugs are gonna now offend someone...Seems everything will eventually offend at least someone.

I remember as a kid getting an easy hundred yards or so out of a potaoto gun using nothing more than hairspray. Then as kids will do, we found starting fluid and a handful of gravel on top of said potato or apple/pear/whatever from the neighbors tree, It all went downhill from there..

This is what has worked well for me, roll the wadding into a ball place in the nose cone end of the body tube and with no motor installed blow the ball to the bottom of the tube, perhaps this is your method ?

Back