Estes ignitors are a PITA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not . Thanks fo,r the link. I was checking it out and I think I will give them a try, soon

Carlos = c0c0m0ke.
Like @Buzzard / Chas, I swear by these for black powder clusters. Helped a friend set up his 7 x C6-0 to 7 x C6-7 staged cluster on Saturday, using seven MJG BP starters. They worked like a charm.

One warning though: make sure your launcher won't fire them on a continuity check. Definitely test one by itself before racking your rocket.

I used to check also for sufficient ignition current by burning as many starters as I planned to cluster on each new club launcher I tried. Then I realized one night I can set off a large number of these with a used AAA battery and that any club launcher would have more than enough juice for clusters. So all I test now is that the continuity circuit won't launch my rocket.

I also test continuity of the starters individually at home as a matter of course. The only failure I've had of one was one that I'd dipped and secured into a composite grain, and I could easily have damaged that one. But I also hadn't checked its continuity individually either before or after placing it, so now I do just to be on the safe side.

Edit to clarify the 14-motor staged cluster wasn't mine.

Last edited:
One warning though: make sure your launcher won't fire them on a continuity check. Definitely test one by itself before racking your rocket.

I used to check also for sufficient ignition current by burning as many starters as I planned to cluster on each new club launcher I tried. Then I realized one night I can set off a large number of these with a used AAA battery and that any club launcher would have more than enough juice for clusters. So all I test now is that the continuity circuit won't launch my rocket.
If the continuity test is so close to firing them and they don't take much voltage to fire, could you just wire a small resister in series with the group of igniter leads?

Back