Estes Hornet #2030 and BT60 upscale - Paint Suggestions requested : )

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertH3

No need to buy stands after a launch day!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
See pic - I used decals I had for the 1:1 Hornet and the spec'd (but old) Air Superiority camo with flat light blue. Looks "OK" will say this plan is a tad tough due to finishing around all the fins. I had decided to finish the BT60 Murder Hornet in Tamiya bright orange with airbrushed chitin brown stripes like the hornet but lost interest. Next was same camo with darker blue and grey, see base-coat in pic. Testors dark grey in an airbrush WILL cover, its basically satin primer. I am asking for suggestions here. I usually have an idea but ??? - have also considered a couple of the neat rusto steel silver stripes and keep it blue!

Hornets.jpg

Cheers / Robert

I built the original back when I was probably 14 or 15. I liked it and the Thunderhawk; they caused me to have a thing for 5 fins.

I modded the BT60 I did, added a bell nozzle and a longer Estes ogive, kept body tube at 18" to make finishing easy so it looks a little different. Think I am going with the blue / gray paint and then maybe get the original decals. The fins look good and very unique but generate a lot of interference drag, Only 850 feet on a D12-5. Means it's a good 24mm sport flyer.

Cheers / Robert