Quantcast

Wanted Estes Honest John (KD-L4) Cold Power Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for an Estes Honest John cold power rocket (KD-L4), either in kit form or assembled. Had this one as a kid in the 70's, and loved it. If you have one that you're willing to part with, I'd love to buy it. Even if this post has grown old, PM me anyway--I'd happily buy more than one.

Also interested in any other older HoJo birds, like the Centuri version, Cox RTF, etc. If it's HoJo related, I'm in the market.

Thanks for looking.

Les Rayburn,
NAR #81057 Level 2

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
They pop up on E-bay every so often...usually very reasonable pricing. Give a check there also...evry so often

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What is "Estes Honest John cold power rocket (KD-L4)" I have two 1/14 Scale Estes Honest John kits ……#7240

is that similar in finish? and Look ?

This is the # 7240 Style..Honest_John.jpgThat I can sell

Glasspack

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It was a cold power version of the Honest John, marketed by Estes briefly in the late 1970s. This is the only photo that I have of the kit. Shared with me by my friend, rocket mentor, and fellow HoJo fan, Craig Brooks.

Estes Cold Power HoJo.png

James Harechmak

Reaction score
What is "Estes Honest John cold power rocket (KD-L4)" I have two 1/14 Scale Estes Honest John kits ……#7240

is that similar in finish? and Look ?

This is the # 7240 Style..View attachment 378838That I can sell

Glasspack
The Cold Power line ran on R12. I had one of the Estes (maybe Vashon) cold power cars as a kid. Not the most eco friendly things, I think that's why they were pulled from the market.

msjohnso

Reaction score
The Cold Power line ran on R12. I had one of the Estes (maybe Vashon) cold power cars as a kid. Not the most eco friendly things, I think that's why they were pulled from the market.
Exactly...manufacturing and intentional release of R12 has been illegal for quite a few years now. If you can find it at all, a sufficient amount of R12 to charge a ColdPower rocket would be worth about $50. That doesn't, of course, count the $27,500 (or higher) fine for the intentional release...

There are alternatives for R12 that exhibit most of the desired behaviors for a refrigerant but all of them are mixtures of hydrocarbon gases (if memory serves, 78% propane and 22% isobutane is a near-perfect substitute for R12. However, the flammability hazard is extreme...to say the least.

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wow I had no idea they even made one like that...………. Must have had to launch that similar to a water rocket. Course I was much to young in 1970 to start my rocket hobby.
I think I got started with my cousin about 1978ish.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No intention to actually fly the rocket--just would love to add one to my collection. We flew quite a few of the cold power rockets (and even some land-based rocket dragsters) during the 1970's with no idea of the harm being done to the ozone.

If anyone has one of the Honest John kits or a built example for sale, I'd love to purchase it.

hprocketeer

Long time model rocketeer
Reaction score
I have one in my stash. Can't figure out how to pm. It is sealed but someone folded it just above the bubble packaging. I moved to a 2 bedroom house and have lost storage space. I will be listing a lot of kits for sale, as soon as I figure out how to post and upload pictures. Please PM me and we can discuss prices.
Mike NAR TRA L3

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Bump. Still looking for HoJo Cold Power kits and other hard-to-find versions of America's first nuclear missile. Thanks.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Bump (again). My wife says that admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery. I just point to that 9.5" carbon fiber, 100lb version that flew a few weeks back--and say, "No...that guy has a problem." :)

Still looking. Thanks for the bandwidth.