Estes Honest John decals for standard OD version

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffk813

Renderer of Rockets
Reaction score
I'm working on a new-release Estes HoJo and would like to finish it with the standard, operational olive drab finish. Is anyone still selling the white decal set for this color scheme? A fellow club member mentioned he ordered them online, but couldn't remember where he got them. It might have been Tango Papa, or maybe Excelsior, but I don't know who's still doing them.

The aggravating part is that I just came into possession of a working ALPS MD1300 printer but I haven't been able to find anyone who has white cartridges in stock for it. Would anyone know where I could even get an image of the decals themselves if I wanted to reproduce them myself?

Heck, I've even been contemplating learning how to do silk-screen printing...

Any help is appreciated.

Have you contacted mark at Stickershock? 95% chance he has exactly what you need and a few things you didn't know you needed (but do now)

Stickershock23.com

I built the Madcow 2.6" HoJo and painted it the olive drab. I got really NICE markings from Stickershock!

FL_2017_Day2_4.jpg

Last edited:
Gordon prints select items. I think he is still able to print white. He did print me a couple sets for the latest Estes Honest John. Not sure if that was before he had trouble with his Alps or not though. Not sure how small Mark can print. There is a lot of small lettering on the BT-60 Honest John. I have always used Mark for my high power stuff and Gordon for the low if I can't make it myself.

I bought a set of Estes HoJo markings from Stickershock - haven't built the rocket yet but the vinyl decals look perfect. Mark charges a reasonable rate for shipping but once you start wandering around the website bet you'll see LOTS of stuff you'll want. Just fill up your cart with everything you think you'll need and save some postage :wink:

To clarify, I'm building the new Estes HoJo kit, number 7240. Mark only goes down to 2.6" tube on his HoJo set. Also, this one is a bit small for vinyl. I do have several projects in the early planning stages that will require Mark's services though!

I'm looking for water-slide decals this time. I'll drop Gordon a note and see if he's able to whip up a set for me, or perhaps point me to some white ink cartridges so I can knock out a set myself.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Well, I got ahold of Gordy, but the only ones he has left are for the Maxi-Brute Estes model. I shot an email over to Tom at Tango Papa and am waiting to hear beck from him on a question about some other decals I need. Anyone know if he's still making them? I might have to learn silk-screening quickly. :)

I would be curious if Tom is still doing decals also. As stated above I also prefer water slide on small stuff. I just can't print white. Would be nice if there was an affordable alternative to the Alps say in the 300.00 or less range.

Here's something interesting... it's also fairly reasonable considering the cost of a new ALPS printer. Of course, it's sold from Germany so there's be some customs tax, I'm sure, but it might be worth my while, since I've been considering a color laser printer already (and the OKI white toner printers are astronomically expensive). Or, I could buy the HP Laserjet Pro 200 stateside and just order the toner cartridge from them... Interesting....

www.ghost-white-toner.com

I didn't realize Mark didn't have the operational markings for the 7240 HoJo - I bought the test round set during one of Stickershock's sale weekends. Just took a look at the operational round marking set - didn't know it was that complicated! But certainly worth the amount of time and effort you're putting into it - sure looks nifty in green. Good luck and good hunting!

Thought I would 'bump' this thread in hopes someone might have an update on any available decals for an OD Estes Honest John, kit#7240. I did just try Excelsior with no luck, and Google wasn't my friend this time.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Mark

HOJO Decal 2.jpgHOJO Decal 2.jpgDid mine the same way (OD) and ran into the same problem with decals. In frustration I just Ink jet printed on white waterslide paper with a color matched (to the best of my ability) background blocks. Decal file attached; Pics of finished model to follow.

To clarify, I'm building the new Estes HoJo kit, number 7240. Mark only goes down to 2.6" tube on his HoJo set. Also, this one is a bit small for vinyl. I do have several projects in the early planning stages that will require Mark's services though!

I'm looking for water-slide decals this time. I'll drop Gordon a note and see if he's able to whip up a set for me, or perhaps point me to some white ink cartridges so I can knock out a set myself.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Stickershock goes down to the BT-60 size (1.6"), but you won't get the full sheet because the website states that the letters would be too small for the cut-vinyl decals. I just ordered the Estes (BT-60) decal set from them so we'll see how that goes. I've ordered other items from Stickershock - quick response and quality stuff as far as the decals go - haven't done a full wrap though.

Back