Estes Honest John (7240) Info

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with John Boren (JumpJet), the designer of the 1/14th scale Honest John kit. I was talking to him about Part L (the Laser cut index stock (Part Number 030106)). In our discussion, he mentioned that the holes are not centered on the strip. I asked him if the narrow side of was supposed to be towards or away from the nosecone. I was advised that the narrow side is up.

Thought I'd share this with you all. Stay tuned for a sim of this kit, and a few other HoJo's in the future.

Pointy Side Up!
K'Tesh

WSMR_Honest_John_display.jpg Hmmn, now I 'll have to check mine when I get home. Probably got it right though as I worked from this picture...

-Bob

Last edited:
Interesting that the roll pattern on that one is completely different than the one on the facecard of the 0740 kit. I wonder if where one can find images of the original that inspired it's look.

Interesting that the roll pattern on that one is completely different than the one on the facecard of the 0740 kit. I wonder if where one can find images of the original that inspired it's look.

John Boren told me that the facecard paint scheme for the current Estes Honest John was based on the Centuri model. However, the Centuri model paint scheme did not represent an actual paint pattern on a real missile.

John Boren told me that the facecard paint scheme for the current Estes Honest John was based on the Centuri model. However, the Centuri model paint scheme did not represent an actual paint pattern on a real missile.
Interesting... Thanks!

I've researched the Honest John missiles extensively over the past three years, and can say with confidence that John Borden is correct. The Centuri paint scheme didn't match any prototype of the missile that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
The paint scheme on this static display may not be accurate to any of the prototypes, but it certainly looks great. A member of my club, Bobby Campbell just finished a 2.6" Madcow version of the HoJo up with this paint scheme--and it looks amazing.

Ok... I went to the source...

Hi John,

I've read that the paint scheme for the current HoJo kit is not based on any actual prototype rocket (you were credited as the source of this information). From what I'm told, and what I can see, it looks like the paint scheme is based on the old Centuri KC-25 kit. As you know I'm simming the kit (and building my own), and I like doing "stock" paint schemes for my sims. Since we don't have an actual rocket reference to work from, I wonder what your ideas are for the hidden sides of the kit.

Thanks!

Jim

and the reply

Jim,

The checkers on the nose cone appear on opposite sides. There is only one black fin with the black on the cone section. The rest of the fins are red with the rest of tail cone being white. OR, just color it Olive Drab.

John Boren

Estes Industries

R&D Department
along with this image (shared w/the blessing of John)
upload_2019-10-2_2-4-32.png
Image credit: John Boren

That Honest John is at White Sands.

HoJo WSMR 2.JPG

MGR-1 Honest John WSMR 1.jpg

I modelled my 7240 after it.

Fully Painted 1.jpg

-Bob

My understanding is that NAR Scale rules would allow for paint schemes of static display rockets to be valid--as long as you have supporting documentation/photos. In the case of the Honest John, you could construct a model that resembled the static missile on display at the fireworks stand in South Pittsburg, TN and still qualify.

However, if you want to create a sim that shows actual flying prototypes of the missile then there are a number of options and plenty of supporting photography. My favorite is the "burnt orange" test shot color scheme used at White Sands.

MGR-1_Honest_John_rocket.0.0.jpg

Back