Estes Honest John #2166 question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markschnell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I found an Estes Honest John #2166 on the shelf in a hobby shop. The box is in pristine condition. I know these were re-released in this version in 2001 or so. Here's my question:

Did these come shrink-wrapped from Estes? The one I found has no shrinkwrap but it does have four pieces of strapping tape (the stuff with the strings in it) that are placed evenly on all fours sides. If it came from Estes with the tape then I won't peel it off to look inside. But if it was originally shrink-wrapped then I want to open the box and inventory everything.

I figured this is just the kind of minutiae that the good folks on this forum would know. :)

P1000713.jpg

P1000711.jpg

Last edited:
Mine has 4 pieces of 1/2" strapping tape, one at each end, and one about in the middle of each side. I bought it out of scratch and dent, so you may want a second opinion.

My Maxi V-2 that was out the same time as the HOJO was similarly taped. Check out RocketryPlanet.com they had a series of articles on "TurboCharging" this kit a few months back. I don't know if this Kit was like the V-2 and is also risky to put up on Estes D's and E's.

Edit: link to article https://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2584/38/

Last edited:
Well, I've heard from three of you and all of your tape was the same as mine with no shrinkwrap. That's good enough for me to assume that I have an unopened collectable here.

Thanks for the link, Michael. Now I have to decide if I want to build this baby or put it on ebay! If I do put it up for sale I'll give a head's up here.

Well, I've heard from three of you and all of your tape was the same as mine with no shrinkwrap. That's good enough for me to assume that I have an unopened collectable here.

Thanks for the link, Michael. Now I have to decide if I want to build this baby or put it on ebay! If I do put it up for sale I'll give a head's up here.
Why have a model and save it to sell to someone for a profit??
Amaze your friends by flying this model at a launch.
Note, I modified mine even if it goes against the purests. 29mm mount

This was from 14 years ago. It was never saved. I owned it for about two weeks and sold it someone on here for very little profit.

To further answer your question: I don't know, maybe to feed my kids, pay a mortgage, or a million other things. What usually happens when I sell stuff is I pour the money back into the hobby, which keeps it going. You know, free market, capitalism, stuff like that.

To further answer your question: I don't know, maybe to feed my kids, pay a mortgage, or a million other things. What usually happens when I sell stuff is I pour the money back into the hobby, which keeps it going. You know, free market, capitalism, stuff like that.
Or you could get a job that fully supports your interests to where you don't have to make a profit off your fellow rocketeers.
So there's that.

Or you could get a job that fully supports your interests to where you don't have to make a profit off your fellow rocketeers.
So there's that.

Every single manufacturer selling rocketry related products makes a profit off of us rocketeers. Last time I checked, that's not a crime.
If the OP has an item he wants to sell, HE ALONE gets to decide how much to charge for it. If the buyer decided the item is worth the asking price, the rest of us have absolutely NO SAY in the matter. None what-so-ever!

I put the FSI F100 upgrade in mine in 1975; my first HOJO Maxi the D motor Ka-Boomed it... Perhaps it was a D-13 Ka-Boom that blew the moon out of orbit in 1999 when the stock hazmat pile of D-13s blew up??

That was a Cartoon in a 70s rocket newsletter...

Edit: D-13s were a Ka-Boom Motor back then.

Last edited:
Back