Estes Hi-Flyer XL build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novahobbies

Reaction score
Pretty straightforward build, nothing too challenging, but boy it looks pretty even before it gets off the pad!
20230524_192524.jpg
A few hours to assemble, a few more for sealing and sanding.......basically a quick weekend project to work on in between other projects.
20230527_121150.jpg
I decided to filet the fins with JB Weld. Makes the transition look smoother to me, even if technically I don't need to do this for strength.
20230529_190025.jpg
First coat......YELLOW! I'd just finished a red and black rocket, why be boring and do another? Besides, I was feeling some Blue Angels vibes here with this one.
20230601_085645.jpg
And where we are at now. I have a little touchup to do with the blue, but this looks like it should be a real fun small park flyer. Might even keep it low and run it on a C motor with an adapter sleeve. Just something fun for the kids to chase!

That sure is pretty. Mine is also pretty…pretty ugly! But it has a matching booster for staged E flights, so…

Very nice build. These are great rockets and fly well on everything from C5-3's to composites. Strongest motor I've flown on this rocket is the E30-7 but that was well out of sight for a long time. I generally recover on a 9" or 12" chute on those D and E flights. The stock 18" is overkill and will have you walking a long way.

If you want to fly it in small parks the C5-3 and C11-3 are perfect. Interestingly, mine gets about 60 extra feet on the C5-3 vs the C11-3.

I need to pick up a few more Super-C's. I only have 6, and 2 are plugged into my Boyce Gemini Titan. Assuming I can ever convince that bird to get off the ground, she does NOT want to fly. First attempt, one of the kids sat on a clear fin and cracked it while out at the range. Another day, second attempt, and inexplicably the launch lugs (BOTH OF THEM!) popped off. They're epoxied now, they bloody well better hold.

Back