Estes Hi-Flier XL build log/guide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CameronMakesRockets

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am building an Estes Hi-Flier XL and wanted to share what I have done so far and hopefully help others out as well!
I created a video since I think it is easier to see what someone is doing rather than pictures. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Very nicely done video. I've wanted to build videos for my rockets for a couple of years now but don't have the time to put into the project. The quality of your video is excellent.

Two suggestions.

- When gluing paper or wood to cardboard. Use wood glue for the initial bond then go back over it with a fillet. If you haven't already slid the mount into the tube, I'd definably go back and give that motor block a fillet.

- Sand paper is your friend. While it removes material, it also opens up the fibers in paper and the pores in wood so the adhesives can penetrate. I'll often times hit the surface to open up the fibers even if the fit is fine.

I built the smaller version and it flies well. Lost one, one time after I put too many C6-7's through it. Disappeared I think into a pond.
Putting the largest motor in, do it only on a rare windless day.
With the small version the rocket would disappear into the ether and I'd wait and wait and wait. When I was about ready to give up, I'd hear the rattling of the mylar streamer I used. I highly recommend looking online and getting a reflective mylar sheeting streamer material for the small Hi-Flier. Pot growers use the sheeting to reflect light in their "growing" rooms. Flashes when one can see it and makes a rattling noise on the way down one can hear if they are flying in a field by themselves without too much background noise. One roll will last you a lifetime. I built another H.F. and still have it.
I imagine the XL uses a chute though since it's a larger sized rocket? I'd see if it could be modified for a tracker if planning to send it "stupid high". If using lower impulse motors for leisurely flights, shouldn't have a problem. Like a Big Bertha on a B6-4 or C6-5, always a satisfying flight and always get it back if no trees, standing corn or wires around. Kurt

If you haven't already slid the mount into the tube, I'd definably go back and give that motor block a fillet.
This is a great idea, thanks!
While it removes material, it also opens up the fibers in paper and the pores in wood so the adhesives can penetrate. I'll often times hit the surface to open up the fibers even if the fit is fine.
I didn't sand the motor mount but I did end up sanding the area where I attached the fins!

I imagine the XL uses a chute though since it's a larger sized rocket? I'd see if it could be modified for a tracker if planning to send it "stupid high".
The XL does fit 'E' sized motors and does use a chute recovery. I have an Olympus that tends to drift a ton, even on very low wind days. Creating a streamer that can be swapped out would be worth experimenting with.

I did a two-stage conversion of one of those (link to thread is in the Similar Threads box as of this writing). I haven’t been able to fly it since, as ground damage is frequent and my repair job has not kept pace.

It’s a unique rocket though, for sure. I like that it’s a mid-sized rocket that can hold together OK with low-power build techniques.

I finally got around to finishing the Estes Hi-Flier XL!

The first flight also went great, nice and high! I recommend adding a spill hole to the parachute or a large streamer as this one drifted a long way on an E12-4 motor.

Ill post a pic in a bit, of mine. Red one has plywood centering rings, kevlar shock cord wrapped around the mt, and a chute swivel. Very cool video, I'm going to be building my third one!!

Heres my red one, yellow, and new build..

Attachments

• 20230709_155835.jpg
    20230709_155835.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230709_155613.jpg
    20230709_155613.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230709_155621.jpg
    20230709_155621.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230613_125012.jpg
    20230613_125012.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
The final video in this saga! The "first" flight of the Estes Hi-Flier XL! ("first" since I did not get footage of the real first flight):

Awesome video! I have 2 built, one to go but thats gonna be shorter in 29mm! But will fly the red one this weekend hopefully!!

Attachments

• IMG_20230719_131803_665.jpg
    IMG_20230719_131803_665.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230613_125012.jpg
    20230613_125012.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230712_205246.jpg
    20230712_205246.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
Awesome video! I have 2 built, one to go but thats gonna be shorter in 29mm
Thanks! I am curious to hear about how the 29mm motor version does! I recently designed a rocket that was gonna use a 29mm F15 motor, but after running some sims on it, I was a little weary with the speed off the pad as well as the altitude. I ended up using a H195 and the rocket screamed off the pad!
Here is a pad cam view of liftoff:

Back