Estes Hi-Flier build with removable baffle.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back_at_it

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
With the Upscale Pegasus and Matra completed I found the bench to be empty and needing a project. I've been wanting to build a couple of small rockets to burn up a rather large number of A8-3 motor that have accumulated over the years but I've been dragging my feet on small rocket builds. The recent thread by MK9162013 on his removable baffle idea was the kick in the pants I needed to build something as I was intrigued by this concept and wanted to try it myself.

This lead me to build the a Hi-Flier to play around with. This is a very simple kit so it should go together in a couple of days. I started off by laying out the kit parts. Note that the plastic ring and motor clip are missing from this build. The motor clip won't work with the removable baffle idea and looks terrible anyways :)

Here we have the parts we will use. Clay for nose weight. Stock nose cone, Stock fins without the notch removed, BT20 body tube, Kevlar for the shock cord and the parts for the removable baffle.

4.jpg

I decided to start with the removable baffle. This consists of a BT20 coupler sourced from BMS, a BT5/20 centering ring that has been reduced down to fit inside the coupler and three baffle plates made from lite ply. The length of the coupler is 2.75". Note the position of the plates are marked on the outside of the tube. The first plate will sit one inch up from end. The remaining two plates are spaced equally inside the tube. The additional scrap pieces on two of the plates are simply handles that help with positioning the plates inside the tube.

1.jpg

With the internals of the baffle completed I soaked both the inside and outside of the baffle in thin CA. This should give it some much needed fire protection. The coating on the outside will makes the unit slide in and out of the tube easier once sanded. To the top plate I added small screw eye and a length of Kevlar as a shock cord. The end of the shock cord has a clip to allow for easily removal from the nose cone. The idea here is that I can unclip the streamer from the shock cord, unclip the shock cord from the nose cone and pull the entire assembly out the rear of the rocket.

3.2.jpg

Here is a look up the business end of the baffle. This end will sit toward the motor.

3.3.jpg

I'll begin the rocket build tomorrow.

Made some good progress on this one over the last few days. Sanded the lower body tube to remove the shine, marked and attached all three fins. Just basic TBII for this one.

5.jpg6.jpg

Did fillets with TBII then Thick and Quick. One thing I noticed was that the balsa on this kit was very soft and flexible. I considered papering the fins to make them stronger and honestly I might do that if I ever build another one. For this one I added three light coats of MinWax Sanding Sealer and let that dry. Fins were then sanded with 400 grit. They are much more rigid now but their thickness still has me a little concerned.

Next I shot on two coats of SEM high build and let that cure.

7.jpg

After some finish sanding with 600 I sprayed the nose cone with Krylon Gloss Black and the body with Ace Brand Safety Red. I really like the Ace brand paints as they coat very well and have a nice shine. Once dry the paint is very hard and doesn't easily scratch.

The down side is that they take forever to dry. This was left in direct sun on a 90+F day and it was still tacky after 10 hrs. I brought it inside and I'm letting it sit in the shop for a couple of days before painting the fins. I saw the same thing with my DBRM build.

11.jpg12.jpg

Last edited:
Made some additional progress last night. Paint was cured and I was able to get the fins masked and painted.

The fins were painted with Krylon gloss black. I did a test spray and there were no reactions between the Ace brand and the Krylon brand paints with the Krylon as the second layer.

Not a fan of the self stick that came with this kit so I'll be cutting my own vinyl. Also note that there are no decals included for the fins so you will need to cut those or paint them on if you want them.

Here is where we are right now.

15.jpg16.jpg

The Chrome decals are nice, will they reflect a lot for tracking?

The Chrome decals are nice, will they reflect a lot for tracking?

I've launched it 5 times now. The first was at the club launch on an A8-3 and the entire rocket stayed in sight. I've since flown it once on an A8-5, twice on a B6-6 and once on a C6-7. The B6 and C6 both put it well out of sight. During the decent the chrome on the fins does flicker in the sun and I was able to track it and recover.

On a side note. The removable baffle is still working out well. No signs of wear and has worked perfectly every time.

Back