Estes going to MAP = MSRP for all online sellers 4/1?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And most expensive for a vendor (but best increase in short term sales for distributors).

Gonna go buy a bunch of motors at HL in case they will also change their prices.
Have you ever been at HL looking at Estes and then whipped out the phone to compare prices to ACS? (I have at least twice lol.)

At least we no longer need to do that.

This is just wild. I guess I'm going to have to take advantage of HL's lack of an inventory system and Estes coupon stacking to acquire motors now. Don't really care about the kits as much, don't buy many of them.

Well the ACSupply prices now show Estes kits priced without any discount.

I had a page open last night with discounted prices and when I refreshed it this morning the discount disappeared.

😢
Well, crap. I see no reason to order from AC Supply anymore. And I have always recomended them for not just the prices, but also for great customer service.

This *IS* a boon for local hobby shops, as I stopped buying engeins locally when I could order them a lot cheaper from AC Supply, with free shipping at $100 orders.

E-tailers should not post prices on their websites. Instead post "Call or Email for Price". Indy RC used to do this with OS and Super Tiger engines back in the 70's and early 80's to get around MAP agreements.

That is a guaranteed way to get me to move on; I despise said "call or email for price". Heck with that.

That is a guaranteed way to get me to move on; I despise said "call or email for price". Heck with that.

Agreed. Any online seller that doesn't show their prices will not get my business. The whole point of online selling is to make things easier; unless I'm looking for something bespoke or have questions, I don't want to be emailing back and forth.

I agree that I'm not a fan of MAP, but there are lots of games that can be played to get around it. Canon cameras have been under MAP for years, but it's not hard to buy one for less.

This is going to blow up in Estes collective face. They are committing suicide with this bone headed move.
I don't know about suicide, but it doesn't seem like a great plan to me either.

I will move to Quest C12s over C6s all day if they're cheaper. Not so much on the Bs, though, so I'll have to figure those out.

I can't stand those requests, either. But I will deal with them for rare, high-prices purchases.

For example, if I were going to drop $500-$2000 for some high-end camera that I purchase once every 3-4 years, I'd be willing to call or email. But for something I buy every few months that costs $10? Sure, let's take 20 minutes out of my day to save $2 and haggle.

This is going to blow up in Estes collective face. They are committing suicide with this bone headed move.
I don't see how or why. I agree it's not an ideal situation, but I sense it might be a "lesser of two evils" situation.

Estes might be in a situation where they're going to lose sales no matter what they do. This is just the approach they've decided will result in the smallest loss in sales.

I tend to buy as much as possible at my LHS, mostly because I want them to stay in business, and they carry the entire catalog line of Estes, usually for 20% off retail. So, this is not a huge deal to me, but still it was nice to have that 40% off option occasionally. I realize I'm fortunate to have a great LHS, and another fairly decent LHS (local meaning < 1 hr drive).

Still, I'm glad I didn't see this until today, or I would've felt compelled to order a bunch of stuff I don't really need!

I saw this too late to stock up on motors and Big Daddies from AC Supply. Oh well.

Although on the surface, I'm appalled by this, it may end up a win-win-win-win-win situation:
  • Estes win by lowering the risk to retailers carrying their products, thereby garnering more retailers. They also do more business on their own site where their profits are largest.
  • Small retailers (physical and online) win by being protected from the online price race
  • Small kit manufacturers win by being more competitive with the behemoth
  • Quest/Aerotech win by capturing more market with dedicated hobbyists
  • Dedicated hobbyists win by having even more reason to switch to Quest/Aerotech motors, which were already getting to be price competitive and are now in most cases the best bang for the buck aside from clustering (which can be done but requires more care than BP) and direct staging.
From that hobbyist perspective though, I'm sorry to see this happening. I love black powder and will continue to fly it some. A lot less though. All of a sudden composites are looking like the future of low power like they already were for mid and high power.

BTW, those of you who haven't yet flown the E35 are in for a treat. A 24mm full E at near-Estes prices before today and less than Estes prices now.

I saw this too late to stock up on motors and Big Daddies from AC Supply. Oh well.

Although on the surface, I'm appalled by this, it may end up a win-win-win-win-win situation:
  • Estes win by lowering the risk to retailers carrying their products, thereby garnering more retailers. They also do more business on their own site where their profits are largest.
  • Small retailers (physical and online) win by being protected from the online price race
  • Small kit manufacturers win by being more competitive with the behemoth
  • Quest/Aerotech win by capturing more market with dedicated hobbyists
  • Dedicated hobbyists win by having even more reason to switch to Quest/Aerotech motors, which were already getting to be price competitive and are now in most cases the best bang for the buck aside from clustering (which can be done but requires more care than BP) and direct staging.
From that hobbyist perspective though, I'm sorry to see this happening. I love black powder and will continue to fly it some. A lot less though. All of a sudden composites are looking like the future of low power like they already were for mid and high power.

BTW, those of you who haven't yet flown the E35 are in for a treat. A 24mm full E at near-Estes prices before today and less than Estes prices now.
Being a small hobby shop and Kit manufacturer (Starlight rockets) i think you hit the nail on the head.

I wonder how long until Hobbylinc complies? They still don't seem to comply with hazmat for E/F BP motors.

I wonder how long until Hobbylinc complies? They still don't seem to comply with hazmat for E/F BP motors.
I imagine some hall monitor type will narc on them before too long, so don't fret about that.

I had $ 100 + in my cart at AC supply, to get free shipping. Someone else can have it. I can scratch build what was there. No biggie. RIP Estes, : (

I believe that we are seeing "the beginning of the end" for Estes . . . Poor decision-making.

Estes may have adopted a "too big to fail" mentality . . . A potentially fatal error in judgment.

Dave F.

Wow.

I will let you in a on a little secret.

We're not Estes main customer base. We're lucky to be maybe one or two percent of their yearly sales.

Estes current customer base is a youngster who receives an Estes Starter/Launch set from an adult as a gift or impulse purchase.
The youngster and adult spend time assembling the set and fly the rocket the following weekend.
That could be it and the youngster moves on to another hobby/interest.
Some youngsters will want to do more with the hobby and receive additional kits and motors.
Research has determined that the amount of time these youngsters stay involved in model rocketry lasts from two to six weeks.
That's it.
Estes has to get as much money as it can during this two to six week involvement.
Hobby shops or other retailers (Hobby Lobby for example) are the primary sellers of Estes products to this customer base.
If hobby shops and other retailers are loosing sales to mail-order/e-commerce sites retailers will carry less Estes products
and therefore place less orders with hobby distributors who will place less orders with Estes.

Remember this: Those of you who have cancelled orders with AC Supply, eRockets, etc. due to this situation have no effect on Estes.
Estes has already been paid by these companies for product. You only impact these vendors who have been caught in the middle of this.

We couldn't buy enough Estes product to support the company.

Back