Estes going to MAP = MSRP for all online sellers 4/1?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If true, this will really suck for purchasing motors; but one great opportunity for Aerotech/Quest to steal a massive slice of the pie.
There are no Aerotech/Quest retailers in my region. Even the retailers that sell Estes in my region do not carry the full Estes motor line , no C5-3, A3-2t, A3-6t, almost no Estes E and F motors. I do not think Quest motors have the low cost production or profit margin of Estes motors, and Estes as the 800 pound monopolistic gorilla, could crush Quest if they saw then as a competitive threat.

If Estes were an 800 pound monopolistic gorilla they wouldn't let every company and its kid brother sell clones of Estes kits.
Eh? Isn't that in the best interest of Estes? Isn't that like Estes hiring a private manufacturer to produce Estes kits that Estes no longer believes are profitable, but still consumes profitable Estes motors?

Eh? Isn't that in the best interest of Estes? Isn't that like Estes hiring a private manufacturer to produce Estes kits that Estes no longer believes are profitable, but still consumes profitable Estes motors?

I'm not sure. For me, most of the clones that I see and are interested in are also upscales that move beyond what Estes motors are capable of lifting.

I really hope that other brands take this opportunity to expand on their kit selection. I'd love to see some additional 1.0 and 1.6 kits from LOC and some new offerings from Quest.

I know this one is a stretch but I'd love to see the old Custom Brand come back with some of their older kits.

There are no Aerotech/Quest retailers in my region. Even the retailers that sell Estes in my region do not carry the full Estes motor line , no C5-3, A3-2t, A3-6t, almost no Estes E and F motors. I do not think Quest motors have the low cost production or profit margin of Estes motors, and Estes as the 800 pound monopolistic gorilla, could crush Quest if they saw then as a competitive threat.
QJets are more expensive than Estes BP motors, but IMHO they're reasonably competitive. Especially if bulk-packs become popular. And the QJet and similar AT offerings at E/F/G levels leave Estes in the dust. (Also MHO)

QJets are more expensive than Estes BP motors, but IMHO they're reasonably competitive. Especially if bulk-packs become popular. And the QJet and similar AT offerings at E/F/G levels leave Estes in the dust. (Also MHO)

Because I know @AeroTech Gary reads here, I'd buy bulk packs of Quest if they were available in the longest delays. I'm mostly an MD high and fast guy, and in almost any impulse, any rocket I build only wants the longest available delay. It's pretty annoying to not have bulk pack pricing available just because I wanna go fast.

Erase the discount on the Estes and it's no contest.

I ordered several Booster Berthas to possibly use with scouts later. That rocket is a great deal at $23.

I wonder if AC Supply will be able to do something like offer 35% discount on Estes products for orders over $100 or something.

I wonder if AC Supply will be able to do something like offer 35% discount on Estes products for orders over $100 or something.

This may only affect the prices that show up in advertisements. Actual selling price may remain unchanged.

Example: Sam’s club sells a certain brand of luxury sunglasses that has a MAP. When searching, you see the frame, but no price. If you continue for further info, you’ll be prompted to log in with your Sam’s account to see the price.

That’s designed to keep me from telling that sunglass vendor to come pickup all of their frames and place them somewhere uncomfortable, as Sam’s is selling them cheaper than the manufacturer will sell them to me, as a dealer.

By allowing that price to be advertised, they would be alienating the entire dealer network that built their business.

I ordered several Booster Berthas to possibly use with scouts later. That rocket is a great deal at $23.

They could have special promotions, like buy 4 rockets, get the 5th (of equal or lesser value) for free. Or offer free products for certain purchases. Then there's lowering the free shipping threshold.

I wouldn't be surprised if AC Supply has the same prices as the Estes website, but the free shipping threshold is $40 or something.

Went into FPM (Full Panic Mode). Just bought $400 worth of motors from AC. Based on what I launched last year, it's just over a year's worth. If they continue to be available under some "secret" discount, well, that's OK too. In that case, I just won't need to order for a while.....

Hans.

They could have special promotions, like buy 4 rockets, get the 5th (of equal or lesser value) for free. Or offer free products for certain purchases. Then there's lowering the free shipping threshold.

I wouldn't be surprised if AC Supply has the same prices as the Estes website, but the free shipping threshold is $40 or something.

A common method is to bundle product from a mfr. that has MAP with product from one that doesn't. e.g., buy an Estes kit at Estes web site price, get a pack of Q-Jets for free. The seller is averaging the effective discount across both products, but it's officially a sale of the Estes kit at MAP.

@erockets

If a product is OOP and no longer listed on the Estes web site, is there any restriction on advertised pricing?

Speaking from my RC Sales days. The dealer is given a list of items with MAP and as long as that item appears on that list we could not advertise below the MAP price.

Typically the Mfg. will send out an email blast to all dealer when they lower the MAP in an attempt to reduce inventory. If we received a new list and the item was off the list then pricing is fair game. That is how I dumped a ton of RC Cars after they went out of production.

Sitting here wondering if I should do another order of just motors tonight.

There is absolutely a run on ACS' inventory going on right now. @BEC posted in the other forum that they are selling out of a bunch of stuff. I checked, and that includes popular motors. If you want something, probably best to get it now.

On the other hand, I looked on estesrockets.com at their motor prices, and after you apply the launch2023 coupon code, you're close enough to ACS' prices that I've decided to "keep my powder dry" so to speak for now. Maybe later in the year they'll have a stackable coupon and I can stock up at 40-off...

There is absolutely a run on ACS' inventory going on right now. @BEC posted in the other forum that they are selling out of a bunch of stuff. I checked, and that includes popular motors. If you want something, probably best to get it now.

On the other hand, I looked on estesrockets.com at their motor prices, and after you apply the launch2023 coupon code, you're close enough to ACS' prices that I've decided to "keep my powder dry" so to speak for now. Maybe later in the year they'll have a stackable coupon and I can stock up at 40-off...
I just went to AC Supply's website, and it seems like they're pushing Quest rockets hard and their Estes offering are difficult to find. The only Estes rockets I could quickly find were their bulk packs; I was able to find individual Estes kits, but they're few and far between.

Last edited:
The odd thing about that is that they are disappearing altogether, not just flagged "temporarily out of stock". It really does make one wonder what's really going on.
Totally and completely guessing.... Maybe ACS is going to pivot to Quest. Given their target customer base, I'd doubt they would do the actual Aerotech product line, but maybe they will end up being Quest's biggest retailer.

Or that could be totally wrong.

Hans.

They have a TON of website editing to do in a few hours. Maybe stuff is going "offline" when out if stock; only to come back with the MAP in place as they get restocked. In the mean time anything "in stock" will be at the MAP in a few hours.

Think about how many websites have had major issues when the try to flip a switch on "mass changes".

Agreed.

As noted above, the quality/content just isn't there on the more expensive stuff.
A DBRM at $21.99 - I'll buy multiples just because. Treat it as an economical collection of rocket parts and figure out what to build with it later.
A DBRM at $34.## - I'll buy one when I'm ready to build it.
A DBRM at $54.99 - I'll step up to a LOC or something else because the Estes kit "needs" a bunch more money spent on upgrades before I'm satisfied with the quality and content of the finished rocket. Might as well just buy a kit that comes with all that content in the first place. Or scratch build.

Another case study; I've been holding off placing an ACS order until they got more Doorknobs in stock. Passed on buying one from other retailers that were several bucks more because I'm not in any hurry - it's going to sit on the build pile for awhile. Last night, I bought one from Hobbylinc for about $5 more than ACS' price and spread the shipping over a bunch of other stuff I'd been planning to buy, as well as some motors that I can't get anywhere else without paying HAZ. However, after tomorrow, I'm just not going to buy one. I'll build something else. Or scratch build.

The "Pro Series" is far, far from actually being "Pro" content and MSRP is out of line for what you get.

I think it's clear that Estes is back into seeing themselves as the "gateway" company for beginners in the hobby and casual consumers. Toy store shoppers. They're giving up on more knowledgeable enthusiasts and advanced builders. Eliminating diversity of product, not selling parts for scratch builders, etc.

That and the parachute. There's a picture of a black parachute with a Goblin in it. If that's nylon, I might have to be in and find something else do to with the DBRM nose cone and 3-inch BT I have planned to build my own 3-in Goblin. But at $59.99 or something like that with a plastic chute and junk fins, I'm scratch building with a very nice nylon parachute bought somewhere else.
A very insightful and unfortunately a very accurate analysis of what Estes has now become. I purchased my first Estes kit in 1969. My opinion only. Thank goodness that a have three very large boxes of still-packaged Estes kits and parts in my hobby room, as my wife and me call it. I'll not ever buy one more or their kits following this latest action from them.
Jim

Back