Estes going to MAP = MSRP for all online sellers 4/1?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if any if this is due to Hobby Lobby's influence.

I wouldn't blame them and rhey have the clout and big contract.
LOL. HL is still free to lose as much money selling Estes as they like. They just can't advertise the lower than MAP prices.

Interesting - I don't think I've seen that in store.

I noticed it in motor packs. The printed insert inside the glued-on plastic has the HL price tag printed on it as part of the graphics. Waaaaayy below MSRP. I figure it's one way for HL to prevent small independents from using them as a WD and marking the stuff up.

I noticed it in motor packs. The printed insert inside the glued-on plastic has the HL price tag printed on it as part of the graphics. Waaaaayy below MSRP. I figure it's one way for HL to prevent small independents from using them as a WD and marking the stuff up.
Can you post up some pics of this ?

Dave F.

I simply won't buy at MSRP. $35 for some plastic and paper? GMAB. So it does no 'help' Chris' Rocketry or any other... I simply won't buy.
AC Supply and Bellevue Hobbies were my staple. No more. Or maybe, it will take time for them to update their site's with the "Place in Cart..." buttons

$21 for an Alpha kit made in China? Estes can Kiss My Ass! Loc Precision (way better quality) and Custom Rocket company cost less, aren't assembled in China, and I don't care about decals. I wanted to try Composites and building Sugar Rockets anyway so maybe this will be my push to do so. I've got enough BP for at least a year, if this doesn't get handled I'll be launching a lot less often. I've got other hobbies.

Last edited:
Then discovering that some sellers are advertising heavily discounted prices regularly (undercutting me)
I like buying at HL because I live close to one and I can just drive there and get what I need. They don't have a big selection of kits of the type that I look for. Actually I don't build many kits but I sometimes buy a kit and bash it into a different design. I can also just buy the parts I need and build from them.
I buy from AC occasionally but I prefer to buy local vs. mail order.

I wonder how long it will be before AC and some other sellers have their methods for dealing with MAP.

Estes kits are not worth their full MSRP, especially since they are mostly made in China.
RIGHT ON BROTHER!!!! $5 / kit, maybe $10 to them WITH shipping from China. It just sucks that supposedly 'one of us' runs the joint... yeah yeah... don't give me the old "business is business". My bet is they caved. I hope @AeroTech will expand the quest line. QJets are pretty damn good despite the early ones exploding rockets with their charge. ;) And Quest could put up a decent fight at 30% off. However I do expect AC Supply and Co to have the legal workaround. Gosh if the Minotaur was available I'd sell a few things and buy two at 30% off right now... Of course there are smaller suppliers like Boyce, Sirius, Odd'l, Cape Byron, Rocketarium, etc...

Curious to know what kind of volume the big discount sellers like ACS have been doing the last few days..

Curious to know what kind of volume the big discount sellers like ACS have been doing the last few days..
I'm almost sure there has been quite a dropoff. Don't people go there for the lower prices.

Well...likely a surge of orders leading up to Apr 1 then a big drop. I myself placed a sizable order for Estes tubes and a couple of kits -- just by dumb luck before learning of the price increase a day later. I considered placing another order, but their inventory quickly depleted.

I considered placing another order, but their inventory quickly depleted.
488990-af6de1f1f74f2bd16b47d9ec318d4b70.data

Well, as far as I am concerned, I have enough BP motors to get through the rest of this year. I am already transitioning away from LPR and into full-time MPR anyhow. I'll still use LPR rockets at local club flights, but like I said, I have enough to get through this year. The only thing I might need are E12's, but we'll see.

I recently discoverd the E20 from Aerotech, and that motor is off the hook. It says E20 on the case, but it's louder and seemed more powerful than the E26 from Quest. I also learned to not put an E20 into a rocket with a plastic Estes parachute as the ejection charge shredded the chute. Nevertheless; I think I'll be flying E20's from now on, at least in my 24mm rockets. For 18mm, Quest is the way to go after run out of BP motors.

But like I said, I'm moving into 29mm and probably into 38mm. For local club launches I can adapt 29mm rockets to 24mm, and keep them from flying off the field. Or add some payload/nose weight, run bigger motors and still keep them under 1000 feet.

Could we lump Walmart in with Hobby Lobby? As far as i know, they used to sell Estes, but no longer. maybe they made a stink in order to carry them again.. jut pondering..
For those old enough to remember, the reason that WM stopped carrying rockets was that rockets are classified as "toys" in their purchasing/stocking scheme and the new "toy buyer" for WM didn't want them any longer. Maybe sales were too low, I never heard a rationale, only that they decided not to carry them. IIRC, this was the same toy buyer that stopped carrying most plastic models as well as Testors model paints.

Please understand that this is not a knock on ACSupply. I completely understand that this was completely out of their control and I will still continue to order from them for as much stuff as I can. It just seems like that will be less and less Estes stuff and more of other brands. If AC is reading this, please start carrying more brands of rockets.

Just for giggles, I went back and looked at my order history from ACSupply. While this is no where near everything I bought, It is a good sample of the Estes stuff.

I bought my first rocket with I was 11 yrs old and it was an Estes Challenger I. I'm 48 this year so that has been an on again, off again hobby for 37 years that until recently has been made up of mostly Estes products. Its been a nice run but I'm done.

The Green column is the price today. The price column was the cost when I purchased it.

2023-04-04_8-35-57.jpg2023-04-04_8-36-11.jpg2023-04-04_8-36-21.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC, this was the same toy buyer that stopped carrying most plastic models as well as Testors model paints.
Well, Walmart is now carrying plastic models again, so...

EDIT: And not to be left behind, I just placed my online order for some discounted rockets before the prices go up.

Last edited:
I wanted to try Composites and building Sugar Rockets anyway so maybe this will be my push to do so.

The price increase has brought the cost of Estes motors within a dollar or so per motor of AeroTech composites. I know which one's I'd rather be flying.

E16-4 - $25.49
E30-4 - $28.89
F15-6 - $29.99
F44-8 - $33.14

MAP agreements are common. You can still sell at any price you like but you can't advertise a price lower than MAP. It's no big deal.
So, without being able to "advertise" a "lower / discounted" price, how does a company alert potential customers, in order to attract their business ?

I am guessing that since the reduced price can't be openly displayed on the website, the "actual selling price" shows up in your "Shopping Cart" prior to payment ?

Dave F.

So, without being able to "advertise" a "lower / discounted" price, how does a company alert potential customers, in order to attract their business ?

I am guessing that since the reduced price can't be openly displayed on the website, the "actual selling price" shows up in your "Shopping Cart" prior to payment ?

Dave F.

The way I did it was to have members only mailings that would go out. Also had discount coupons that you could download off the website and use immediately.

Watch ACSupply start a "30OFF" coupon good for all Estes with no expiration! 😂

After the dust settles we’ll probably see things like this from most of the bigger online retailers.

It’s been an interesting couple of days here on the internet amongst the hobby rocketry enthusiasts. I’m still optimistic that we’ll see an endpoint that works for most of the parties involved, it won’t be ideal because each group has disparate goals. Guess we’ll have to wait and see what the future brings.

Back