Estes GeoSat LV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
One of the rockets that came out of a box yesterday was my GeoSat LV. I built it last summer and posted a build thread. It performed well enough but it did not get to fly yesterday because of a broken fin. In this case, the fin fit back in its old place exactly and, when a bit of pressure was applied, the gap closed to almost invisible.

popped-fin-1.jpg

popped-fin-2.jpg

John, I think you've posted more shot of more broken fin repairs than anyone else that comes to mind.

I roughed up the root edge a bit with some sandpaper to get better adhesion and then did the same thing along the BT. Then a light coat of yellow glue was applied along the root and the fin was pressed into place and immediately removed. About a half hour later, some more glue was applied to the root and the fin was again pressed into place. This time it grabbed in a few seconds. Alignment was checked and the fin was allowed to dry.

The sanding and the double gluing meant that the repair joint was not as unnoticable as when it was test fitted. I smoothed it a bit with a white glue fillet.

glued-fin-1.jpg

glued-fin-2.jpg

Ahhh.

I feel so completely affirmed when someone posts a picture of their workbench, and I know I'm not the only one who's got clutter :D

I'm currently working on projects in the living room, because my workbench has overflowed with clutter. Do you feel affirmed?:D

John, I think you've posted more shot of more broken fin repairs than anyone else that comes to mind.

Braking fins was a chronic problem of mine. A few broke on landing but most broke while rattling around in a box being transported.

SInce November, I've been making a concerted effort to repair them and build each rocket a custom box with a tie down to protect it.

I also went through a phase for a while where I was using CA way too much. I noticed that many of the popped fins were originally CA mounts.

Ahhh.

I feel so completely affirmed when someone posts a picture of their workbench, and I know I'm not the only one who's got clutter :D

THe sad thing is that it really IMPROVED right before Christmas when I spent a few hours cleaning the place up.

As expected, the white glue fillets dried clear and revealed the underlying cracks.

crack-under-fillet.jpg

The fillets were painted over with a couple of coats of white acrylic and a brush. The result is not perfect but does make the rocket look better.

white-1.jpg

white-2.jpg

Well, from 3 feet away it wouldn't have been noticeable anyways!...Nice job of detailing your repairs John! I have a couple of fin repairs to do myself from the last launch I was at..

Well, from 3 feet away it wouldn't have been noticeable anyways!...Nice job of detailing your repairs John! I have a couple of fin repairs to do myself from the last launch I was at..

Thanks.

I really am hoping that with my new procedures, broken fins will become much less common.

John:
I've been flying the Geo-Sat HLV in 3 C6 clustered mode for a very long time. To the best of my recollection with the exception of one time stripping the Chute with an early ejection charge so the body came in from Way up there freefall I can't remember breaking a single fin.

Are you using a spill hole in your chutes? It's a HUGE help in removing the swing seen so often with plastic sheet chutes. Sure has helped with mine anyway:)

021-b1b-sm_Geo-Sat 3 C6 LiftOff_07-21-90.jpg

021-b1c-sm_Geo-Sat under Chute_07-21-90.jpg

John:
I've been flying the Geo-Sat HLV in 3 C6 clustered mode for a very long time. To the best of my recollection with the exception of one time stripping the Chute with an early ejection charge so the body came in from Way up there freefall I can't remember breaking a single fin.

Are you using a spill hole in your chutes? It's a HUGE help in removing the swing seen so often with plastic sheet chutes. Sure has helped with mine anyway:)

I think my problems with fins were twofold. At the time the GeoSat was built, I was using CA and the joints are brittle. Also, a lot of my older rockets just bounced around in boxes; that's why I have most of the broken off fins.

Now, I'm taking the time to put on a double glue joint and I build each rocket its own little protective box with a tie down. None of those has broken yet.

It's one thing when it's MY house, MY shop and MY workbench.

When it's your parent's house and your PARENT'S workbench...

...WHOLE 'nother story.;)

Dang it, I thought I was gettin' away with somethin'! :rolleyes:

John:

Micro - did you add additional noseweight in your conversion? I have a GeoSat in the queue that's begging to be clustered...

10-4; I sure did:
I can't recall exactly the amount but here's the general way I start when adding additional motors and parts to "kit" type models.
be sure to gather all the additional parts beyond those supplied in the kit and weigh them. Add 1/2 of the additional motor mass to the new parts weight. in this case were adding 2 additional motors so I added the mass for one C6-7 as the largest motor the model can carry to the additional motor blocks, nose blocks with stainless steel exhaust shelds and motor hooks if used. If venting into the main tube add the mass from any added ducting pieces and a few grams for added glue joints.
I thought I had the finished models Empty weight listed but can't put my finger on it at the moment. I'll see if I can get it from my flight logs this evening.

The Geo-Sat HLV, Deep Space Transport. GreyHawk and Good Old SR-71 Blackbird just Scream to be Cluster conversions I'm sure if we look around there are a ton of others as well:).

JAL3:
I hear Ya on the "throw em in a box" transport damage. I used to do that myself LOL!!! I'm lucky enough to have a full size Van to transport my stuff, so I designed my transport system to stand the models up back there and be able to be staked down out on the windy fields. Sure solved the chipped paint, damaged fin problems for me.

Most of my Scale models and smaller PMC's have there own transport foamcore "boxes with slidout tops" which seems to work pretty well and doesn't take all that long to "glue up" in construction time.
3/16" and 1/4" foamcore sure has gotten a workout around my shop, it's cheap, lightweight and very strong so making packing and transport boxes has become almost routine.
Hope this gives some Help & ideas

10-4;
JAL3:
I hear Ya on the "throw em in a box" transport damage. I used to do that myself LOL!!! I'm lucky enough to have a full size Van to transport my stuff, so I designed my transport system to stand the models up back there and be able to be staked down out on the windy fields. Sure solved the chipped paint, damaged fin problems for me.

Most of my Scale models and smaller PMC's have there own transport foamcore "boxes with slidout tops" which seems to work pretty well and doesn't take all that long to "glue up" in construction time.
3/16" and 1/4" foamcore sure has gotten a workout around my shop, it's cheap, lightweight and very strong so making packing and transport boxes has become almost routine.
Hope this gives some Help & ideas

I took a tack similar to your second photo. I bought some large corrugated cardboard sheets and started saving shipping boxes. I look for a box that will fit the rocket or glue one together. I add a shoe lace tie down and, sometimes, some type of support cradle to keep the bouncing in the box to a minimum and print up a label with the photo, name, recommended motors etc.

Mine are not pretty but they seem to have worked for their intended purpose. I just with they didn't take so much storage room.

I'm about halfway through my retrofits and adding new boxes as rockets are built.

Empty mass of the Finished 3 motor cluster converted Geo-Sat HLV with 24" plastic chute in place is 161.5g

This model has been flown on 2- B6-0, with a core B6-6, 2-B6-0 with C6-5, 2- C6-0, with core C6-5 or C6-7.
Please note the model ALWAYS kicks out the two spent Booster motor casings.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Empty mass of the Finished 3 motor cluster converted Geo-Sat HLV with 24" plastic chute in place is 161.5g

This model has been flown on 2- B6-0, with a core B6-6, 2-B6-0 with C6-5, 2- C6-0, with core C6-5 or C6-7.
Please note the model ALWAYS kicks out the two spent Booster motor casings.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Micro.... The cluster GeoSat will be joining my clustered SR-71 and clustered Little Beth X-2 shortly... :D

Back