Estes Geo Sat LV (#1977)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I found the instructions for this kit while going through some other stuff, and came to two conclusions. First, THAT's what that weird nose I've got hanging around is from. Second, that's kinda cool, and I want to build it. The booster plastic parts can be printed from plans on Thingiverse. Does anyone have the rest of the needed details? Tube lengths, maybe even a scan of the decals, that sort of thing? Of course an RS or OR file would be ideal.

I used to have that rocket. I loved it. Gave it to my best friend after finishing High School and moving to New Hampshire.

No, the nose cone is the only part I do have. (That's the full up nose assembly.) And I know the central tube is BT-55, because that's what the nose cone fits. Based in that, the booster tubes are probably BT-50, since they don't look much smaller in the instructions. What I don't have is rube lengths (thanks for the 18 inch estimate on the central tube), shape and dimensions of the booster standoffs, and perhaps I haven't found what all else.

I have a built one of these, what exactly are you looking for and I can dig it out and start measuring.

No, the nose cone is the only part I do have. (That's the full up nose assembly.) And I know the central tube is BT-55, because that's what the nose cone fits. Based in that, the booster tubes are probably BT-50, since they don't look much smaller in the instructions. What I don't have is rube lengths (thanks for the 18 inch estimate on the central tube), shape and dimensions of the booster standoffs, and perhaps I haven't found what all else.

It's all in my post. #2. All the information you need is there.

Your post is very helpful, but I'm afraid not complete. The first link, the tube reference document, confirms the tube lengths and sizes. The second link is to the instructions, which I have. I just noticed that the instructions link also includes the decals image, so thanks there. Neither the instructions nor the rube reference. gives the diameter and length of the two dowels or the full size plaforms of the booster standoffs and launch lug standoffs that came with the kit.

Please don't think that I don't appreciate the information provided so far. Please also don't tell me that there are not still gaps.

Looks like the dowels are 9" long (but diameter isn't listed, although I'd guess 1/8"). I bet you could get pretty close by estimating the booster standoffs from the sideview on page 7. It wouldn't be perfect, but you'd be able to get pretty darn close.

1601398051171.png

Your post is very helpful, but I'm afraid not complete. The first link, the tube reference document, confirms the tube lengths and sizes. The second link is to the instructions, which I have. I just noticed that the instructions link also includes the decals image, so thanks there. Neither the instructions nor the rube reference. gives the diameter and length of the two dowels or the full size plaforms of the booster standoffs and launch lug standoffs that came with the kit.

Please don't think that I don't appreciate the information provided so far. Please also don't tell me that there are not still gaps.

No offense taken, none meant at all. It's hard to convey meaning sometimes with text, and my last post needed to be fast as I was getting on a plane.

I would agree with mbeels about the 1/8in dowel. I could easily be wrong here, but I think the majority of Estes dowels were 1/8 or 1/16. 1/16 would seem to be too thin.

Do you have the plastic satellite? or is that printable?

Good luck with the build! I hope to see Photo's of it!

Do you have the plastic satellite? or is that printable?
Both. I have the whole nose assembly, i.e. the satellite on its adapter ring, the actual nose, and the clear payload tube in between. The clear tube is a little scratched and cloudy, so I may replace it. Since I have it, there'll be no problem getting the measurements right.

As the pictures have been dwelling in my head all day, a memory has surfaced that I may have the two other pieces in the same "What's this" drawer that the nose assembly was; I'll look tonight. And they're also printable. (And there's a guy here at work with a liquid resin printer at home who'd probably do them for me. 😁)
Good luck with the build! I hope to see Photo's of it!
Thanks. Assuming I proceed, I will post pictures, or maybe a whole build thread.

That would be a good candidate for converting the side boosters into actual strap-on boosters for parallel staging.

And of course that crossed my mind. I'd want to make it convertible, to display and even fly in the standard configuration (with the plastic ends of the boosters) or with engines in the side boosters. It should be doable. I also think I might go with 13 mm in the boosters.

Joseph-

You are going to LOVE this rocket. My late friend Bruce made me a kit. He 3D printed the plastic parts then printed the decals. If you need anything I remember the 3d printed files for the plastic parts are on "thingy-vers".

Anyway, this is one rocket I love too much to fly often. I just wish the fins were not "below bottom" as they can break off easily if you have a hard landing. Also, convert to 24mm or use 18mm composites as this is (IMO) WAY underpowered for C motors.

Here is a link to my build of this rocket... https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/old-estes-geo-sat-lv-build-thread.150040/#post-1845112

It is really great to see another Geo-Sat enthusiast!! IMO this is a GREAT rocket! I am looking forward to your build!

Enjoy!
Andrew

Joseph-
If you still need them, I will take measurements from mine when I get home and post them. Let me know.
Andrew

Yes, please. It seems like the only things I still need are the booster stand-off strip dimensions and confirmation of the dowel diameter. Thank you. And if anybody's god an RS or OR* file it'd be great.

* If I understand right, OR doesn't support side pods, so an RS file is a better bet.

UPDATE: I found a RockSim file at Rocket Reviews. I don't know how detailed it is; that'll have to wait until I get home.

Last edited:
Back