Estes Generic E2X

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bone Daddy

Reaction score
A terrible name for a pretty cool little rocket.
I've helped kids build these, but have never built one myself so I thought I'd give it a try.

Here were my goals:
- fix the motor mount problem
- use no paint or filler
- hmmmmmmmm, I'm forgetting one. Let's see............ Oh yeah no trifold/elastic shock cord.

Motor Mount Fix

- did away with the engine hook and went with an external wrap of tape
- replaced the blue motor tube with bt-20, needed extra length, but would have done this anyway.
- added a centering at the bottom of the mount to capture the motor mount in the fin can

No Paint/Filler
- what is an E2X kit if you have to fill spirals, seams then prime, sand, paint, etc?
- all trim monokote, I didn't worry about making each fin insert exactly the same size
- required moving the launch lug into the the fill joint so as to not have to mess with the body tube wrap
- used whatever monokote was on hand

Shock Cord
- replaced elastic and trifold with kevlar and a small piece of masking tape epxied into the body tube like you woulkd glue a trifold

Where to from here?

I love the fin can.
Hate the nose cone.
Watch for a scratch build using the fin can in the near or distant future........................

Bones

e2x 2.jpg

e2x 3.jpg

e2x 4.jpg

ex2 1.jpg

Cool! :D

I have an old Athena which is the same except for having a longer "chrome" nose cone. I think I prefer the longer nose cone too.

Mine was built stock and is a wonderful, sturdy flier! I like your motor mount modification.

Hey Spacepirate R

I definitely like the look with a longer nose cone.
Gives it more of a sounding rocket look.
(Or if you are really astute a short Estes Mongoose, which is one reason I always liked the Mongoose.)
With the Chuter-II/Skywriter nose cone it starts to look like a Nike Smoke.
(Or if you are really astute a short Estes Skywriter, which is one reason I always liked the Skywriter.)

Although I do understand the designer's use of the short one for a more cockpit like look.

I should make note that the top centering ring is dry fit in the picture.
It is glued on from the top of the fin can after the motor mount is inserted.

Bones

e2x 6.jpg

e2x 5.jpg

I know this is a really old thread but it was helpful in making a few changes and I wanted to add to the build ideas.

Surprisingly it was a really fun build, though quite quick.

I chose to add the rear centering ring but keep the hook, so I cut a section of the ring out where the hook is.

Also attached the kevlar directly to the motor mount and kept everything flush.

This rocket really should have a better name than, generic e2x, doesn't do it any justice at all.

Will ad a final picture when it gets some paint.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_184447.jpg
    IMG_20200507_184447.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200507_184532.jpg
    IMG_20200507_184532.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20200507_212642.jpg
    IMG_20200507_212642.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 33
I really like the rocket and love the metallic fins you added.

Love the mods! I built Apogee’s Skymetra recently, and I have to say I love the idea Tim Milligan (the owner of the company) has about attaching a Kevlar shock cord to the engine mount behind the forward centering ring.

Gotcha. I only say that because I never saw it in the Estes models I built when I was a kid

No, Estes doesn't do it in their kits. It's a common modification that experienced builders will make, and scratchbuilders (including yours truly) use this approach more often than not.

Great build. I used one to make a tribute clone to the Challenger 1 and made the same mods to the motor mount and shock cord. I find myself ditching the engine hooks on any model where the hook would extend past the fins as I like them to stand on their own. Also added a thrust ring for the motor as mine didn't come with one.

These are surprisingly good flyers even on C motors. I like the fact that I can do streamer recovery and not worry about breaking the fins.

Got primer on mine, and sanded down today. Paint starts tomorrow. Pictures to follow. Going with gloss White and gloss blue, think Yankee blue.

Finally finished with paint.

Attachments

• E2x-1.jpg
    E2x-1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 11
  • E2x-2.jpg
    E2x-2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 13
  • E2x-3.jpg
    E2x-3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 12
If I'm not mistaken, this is also the same as the Estes USS America, which was the rocket that came in the starter set I received for Christmas back in '96, and which started me into model rocketry. I unfortunately discarded all of my old rockets and gear a few years ago (which I now greatly regret), but last year, I found the same exact starter set on Ebay, new-in-box, and had to get it. I'm going to have to assemble it again soon! Great job on your rocket!

If I'm not mistaken, this is also the same as the Estes USS America, which was the rocket that came in the starter set I received for Christmas back in '96, and which started me into model rocketry.

Same here, and if I remember correctly, the America had a gold nose cone, blue fin can, and white body tube with stickers. Is that the one?

This is what worked.

Attachments

• nasa 1.jpg
    nasa 1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 20
  • e2x 3.jpg
    e2x 3.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 20
  • e2x logo.jpg
    e2x logo.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Same here, and if I remember correctly, the America had a gold nose cone, blue fin can, and white body tube with stickers. Is that the one?

From what I saw in the mid-90s Estes catalogs, mine was the later version with the black, white, and red scheme. It's my most flown rocket to date (though I never kept track of flights like I am now). I miss that rocket, I very much regret discarding it!

Great build. I used one to make a tribute clone to the Challenger 1 and made the same mods to the motor mount and shock cord. I find myself ditching the engine hooks on any model where the hook would extend past the fins as I like them to stand on their own. Also added a thrust ring for the motor as mine didn't come with one.

These are surprisingly good flyers even on C motors. I like the fact that I can do streamer recovery and not worry about breaking the fins.

The Challenger 1 was my very first rocket way back in '79 or '80. It was lost on it's first flight due to a shock cord mount fail, my own fault. So I'm using one of these to clone that rocket also. I swapped out the short nose included in the E2X kit for a onger one, per this photo from RocketReviews:

1590967966665.png

Now to see if Stickershock can duplicate a set of decals for me...

Last edited:
The extension of the mount beyond the tail cone with a Mylar wrap does double duty, although it does cost you 1/4” to1/2” in CP the rocket can likely handlie it

First, it looks cool if done in silver, kind of like a metallic nozzle,

Second, since you are omitting the engine hook, you can actually substitute an EXTERNAL wrap of masking tape, tightly wrapping it 1/2 of the width around the Mylar extension and the other half around the extruded tip of the casing. Burnish it down hard on both the mount section and the casing, and remember this is for LPR motors, which is all this model accepts anyway. This does two things for you. First, it is really EASY to do, compared with friction fitting which isn’t all that hard, but requires a balance between too little tape, and motor spits, vs too MUCH tape, and your either can’t get motor in, you crump the mount “cramming” motor in, OR you fly the rocket and have a tough time getting the motor OUT (I usually find it easier to pull the friction fit motor out immediately post flight while it is still warm, if I wait until I get home from launch site it seems to “stick” more. YMMV). EXTERNAL tape is usually pretty easy to remove any time.
Second, the Mylar tape around the piece of tube PROTECTS the tube from peeling off when I take the tape off. If you decide to PAINT the extruded segment of motor tube. You can get the same protection without changing the color with a wrap of cello tape, cut even with the rear edge of the mount tubing.

The Challenger 1 was my very first rocket way back in '79 or '80. It was lost on it's first flight due to a shock cord mount fail, my own fault. So I'm using one of these to clone that rocket also. I swapped out the short nose included in the E2X kit for a onger one, per this photo from RocketReviews:

View attachment 418904

That's my Challenger-1. As I recall, those decals were insanely easy to do via inkjet. This was one of my early eBay deals. The body tube needed to be replaced and I was able to reuse the rest of the old rocket. It's due for another flight.

View attachment 418904

Challenger 1 was my first rocket as well. Came with the lantern battery launch pad. I flew that rocket dozes of times before I made a mistake and pinched the shock cord in the bodytube so no ejection. Ejection blew the body tube apart at the seam.

I can tell you that Mark at Sticker Shock can make the decals as he made a stock BT50 set for me. I also had him run a set of upscale decals as I'm planning a BT80 version in the VERY near future on a 29mm motor. It's such a simple rocket but one of my favorites along with the Challenger 2.

Challenger 1 was my first rocket as well. Came with the lantern battery launch pad. I flew that rocket dozes of times before I made a mistake and pinched the shock cord in the bodytube so no ejection. Ejection blew the body tube apart at the seam.

I can tell you that Mark at Sticker Shock can make the decals as he made a stock BT50 set for me. I also had him run a set of upscale decals as I'm planning a BT80 version in the VERY near future on a 29mm motor. It's such a simple rocket but one of my favorites along with the Challenger 2.

I visited with Mark, and he said he can't do the black and white Challenger 1 decal for the top of the body tube due to the font size being too small to cut for a BT-50 tube. Bummer. I will just paint the lower stripes and figure out something else for the top.

That's my Challenger-1. As I recall, those decals were insanely easy to do via inkjet. This was one of my early eBay deals. The body tube needed to be replaced and I was able to reuse the rest of the old rocket. It's due for another flight.

Do you need a special inkjet printer for doing decals? I've read a few articles over the years, but have never tried it.

Do you need a special inkjet printer for doing decals? I've read a few articles over the years, but have never tried it.
I've used my home printer and one at work in the past. It seems that any printer will work.

If you use Inkjet decal paper then any inkjet will work. For Laser decal paper... any laser. Just choose the correct paper.

Inkjet decals must be clear-coated before use. Laser decals are ready to go right out of the printer. I've mostly switched to laser although I find the toner does not provide as consistent a finish as the clear-coated inkjet.

In any case, decal designs that are to be applied onto a dark background require careful planning and can be a challenge.

If I'm not mistaken, this is also the same as the Estes USS America, which was the rocket that came in the starter set I received for Christmas back in '96, and which started me into model rocketry. I unfortunately discarded all of my old rockets and gear a few years ago (which I now greatly regret), but last year, I found the same exact starter set on Ebay, new-in-box, and had to get it. I'm going to have to assemble it again soon! Great job on your rocket!
Correct..I brought the USA starter set and a year later the Generic E2x. Easy build, no mods and for kids plastic fin cans are great.

I visited with Mark, and he said he can't do the black and white Challenger 1 decal for the top of the body tube due to the font size being too small to cut for a BT-50 tube. Bummer. I will just paint the lower stripes and figure out something else for the top.

Interesting. He cut them for me and they were great although I don't know what he went through to get them to made for me.

I have since bought a Cricut and cut my own. The Cricut cut them perfectly but the weeding out the extra vinyl was a bit of a pain.

From what I saw in the mid-90s Estes catalogs, mine was the later version with the black, white, and red scheme. It's my most flown rocket to date (though I never kept track of flights like I am now). I miss that rocket, I very much regret discarding it!
There were two America's. One was in the starter set/ bulk that had the black fin can, white and red scheme with a block lettered America on the site. There was also the America that had the blue fin can and gold nose cone.

Both were identical to the early 90's Pegasus and Athena rockets, the Pegasus being all red and the Athena having the white body tube with a silver fin can and silver nose cone.

Interesting. He cut them for me and they were great although I don't know what he went through to get them to made for me.

I have since bought a Cricut and cut my own. The Cricut cut them perfectly but the weeding out the extra vinyl was a bit of a pain.

Thanks. Mark was able to do a set for me. This is how mine looks now. I'm lovin' it!

Challenger1a.jpg Challenger1b.jpg

View attachment 418904

what was the number of the nose cone you used to match the original part?

Back