Estes for sale according to YORF

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat_B

Reaction score
Haven't seen any talk of this on TRF. There's a thread on YORF where apparently some posters with inside information state that Estes is for sale. Anyone have any additional info?

I read that thread too, and am curious as well..

The push for 'made in USA' too..
(referring to a rumour that kit manufacturing will return to this side of the pacific..)

I've heard it's a consortium made up from a kit maker in Canada, A guy in Chicago, and a person on the west coast named Jerry, Sherry, or something like that........:D

JUST KIDDING FOLKS!!!

Evil Ed

I've heard it's a consortium made up from a kit maker in Canada, A guy in Chicago, and a person on the west coast named ...

funny. It is not nice to imply someone is doing business with he who shall not be named.

As for Big E being for sale, I haven't heard a thing. I have heard their retail prices are going up about 11% effective in the next couple of months.

As for Big E being for sale, I haven't heard a thing. I have heard their retail prices are going up about 11% effective in the next couple of months.

Hmmmm.... that might confirm moving the manufacturing state-side..

(or is this how this 'stimulus plan' is to be financed?! :O )

Hmmmm.... that might confirm moving the manufacturing state-side.....

Everyone is always for sale. This includes Big E, which has been always for sale. So a rumor on YORF doesn't mean it is now big news.

As for moving manufacturing to the US, I simply can't buy it. The excuse being used is the lead/ safety testing - the enforecement of which has been delayed for a year. (lead levels are in effect now). Testing is not a reason to bring manufacturing back to the US. Testing is not as expensive as some have implied and is not required until August of 2010. Some even feel the testing is not required for rocket items.

On top of it all, the testing has been done for all of Big E's products. So this point is mute.

I too found the comment about the lead testing to be rather irrelevant considering the one year delay in needing to conform to the regs. Also, many of their kits obviously contain a lot of similar components (tubing, balsa wood) and their wouldn't likely have to be that many tests run. All of their body tubes, for example, would be made of the same cardstock. One test clears all of those. I would assume by now that they would have had a chance to do any testing anyway.

I found the original poster's comment about some company to the east of Las Vegas as being involved. Which company could that be?

Last edited:
...Also, many of their kits obviously contain a lot of similar components (tubing, balsa wood) and their wouldn't likely have to be that many tests run. All of their body tubes, for example, would be made of the same cardstock. One test clears all of those. ...

That is incorrect. A test result for one product or one item couldn't be used in the testing of another. Each final product has to be tested again. Even if a colour change.

It is not like ROHS testing, where you can use certificates from suppliers as proof.

Move manufacturing back to the US and new owners? Sounds like a desire as opposed to a reality. I'll belive it when it's announced by the parties involved officially :) In point of fact if there was a worse time to try and sell a company then now Id be hard pressed to think of it.
Cheers
fred

It is the worst time, unless a company is having financial difficulties- then anytime could be the best time.

funny. It is not nice to imply someone is doing business with he who shall not be named.

Good grief! I thought they already had gone up. We went into a Michael's this afternoon with a 40% off coupon and nearly went into shock when we saw the price of a bulk pack of motors, $69.99! :eek:

And a pack of C6-7's: $9.99! :eek: Walmart's regular price is $4.98 for the same 3 pack.

As we were leaving the store literally giggling at the ridiculous prices and empty handed, the manager asked Randy if we needed help finding anything. He explained the price situation to him and all the manager could say is "I don't set the prices, I just sell the items." Well... maybe. I don't imagine Michael's sells too many bulk packs even at $40% off. My condolences if you anyone has to pay that.

If they're at $69.99 at some stores now, an 11% increase will put a bulk pack at $77.69!

Move over HPR! ;)

Verna

Move manufacturing back to the US and new owners? Sounds like a desire as opposed to a reality. I'll belive it when it's announced by the parties involved officially :) In point of fact if there was a worse time to try and sell a company then now Id be hard pressed to think of it.
Cheers
fred

Conversely, I'm thinking now would be a good time to buy one though.;)

I don't believe anything about this until I see it. As true as this speculation might be, one thing you can count on from Estes is that things don't always go as planned. The economy is hurting everybody. That much is true. It's anyone's guess at this point, and that's how they like it.

Funny someone should mention Michaels. My wife was talking to me, from her scrapbooking point of view. The rumour is that Michaels is also in trouble and restructuring/downsizing - at least on the scrapbook forums.

Funny someone should mention Michaels. My wife was talking to me, from her scrapbooking point of view. The rumour is that Michaels is also in trouble and restructuring/downsizing - at least on the scrapbook forums.

Yep, heard the same thing myself.

Cutting back to be lean and mean is one thing, but anorexia is another thing altogether.

In the tropical fish trade, the common fish are referred to as "bread and butter fish" -these are the ones where you make your money. However, you have to bring in enough different, odd and new species to keep your customer base.

You can buy guppies and mollies anywhere. South american annual killifish is something else altogether.

South american annual killfish is something else.

I'm sorry but I gotta roll my eyes a bit on all this discussion. Until I hear from Estes themselves I am not going to believe any rumor about them being for sale. This is all silly speculation. Don't you folks have rockets to build? Sheez...

Speaking of silly rumors I heard a great one this summer. Remember how food prices were going up? A coworker of mine built a greenhouse and planted a HUGE garden sometime last year. Why? Because he heard rumors of unavoidable food shortages over this past winter. Shortages so bad that people would be rioting in supermarkets to get essential food. Next time I see him I am going to ask how many fistfights he got in to get groceries this winter.

See what happens when you listen to silly rumors?

-Dave

Cutting back to be lean and mean is one thing, but anorexia is another thing altogether.

In the tropical fish trade, the common fish are referred to as "bread and butter fish" -these are the ones where you make your money. However, you have to bring in enough different, odd and new species to keep your customer base.

You can buy guppies and mollies anywhere. South american annual killifish is something else altogether.

Killies are nice but my preference has always been for African Rift Valley Cichlids...

I'm sorry but I gotta roll my eyes a bit on all this discussion. Until I hear from Estes themselves I am not going to believe any rumor about them being for sale. This is all silly speculation. Don't you folks have rockets to build? Sheez...

-Dave

Rocket Doctor says its so...

Ok let's end this rumer actualy it's Starlight for sale. asking price is $23,000,000 (Goverment bailout money works) under the stipulation you also take my 397lb sister.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Jester

Estes could very well be sold. Hard to tell. The motor manufacturing equipment and license is the biggie. But, I won't believe anything about Estes until I see it. The Estes junkies on the forums will always speculate, often overreact, and generally cause a stir over something that is often unsubstantiated. I've speculated and been sucked into it myself. I'm not exempt from that comment. One thing I've learned about the current Estes, is they feed the controversy and almost seem provoke it at times.

So, they've already begun down scaling. Cox inventory has been sold off. From what I understand, Cox was gas powered stuff, mostly. The breadth of inventory and (and manufacturing of)specialized parts you'd have to have for gas powered stuff is costly and becomes a liability at the end of the fiscal year. There seems to be more competition of sales in the RC market(how does one compete with Horizon or Great Planes?), and with the overall popularity of electric RC and the Estes electric toys showing up in WM, it's no surprise.

Take a look at the rocket stuff that is showing up in WM this spring. No gimmicky LED lights, spin counters, buggy video cameras. No "Launchable" builder kits. These type of things cost more to produce and to sell and end up sitting on the shelf until clearance time. Big loss. Also, look at the packaging. No fancy packing this time... just a plain ol' flimsy box, simple colors on the outside. They have really simplified things in that arena which was a smart thing to do IMO. Plus, motor selection is getting better in some cases. I've seen B4's and B6's at certain WM locations. Smart, 'cause motors will sell at the normal 4.97 WM price( given retailers aren't saturated with only one type(C6) for an entire season!), and it's where Estes' bread and butter is. Not much competition for motors. Yeah, Quest make LPR size but their share of that market is very small.

They are still feeding the WM giant and keeping it satisfied....or so it appears. And they have announced the new line of classic hobby kits and a possible Saturn V on the way. This stuff may never see the light of day, but it seems like they were already on the right path or at least trying to save the business. Maybe the current owner is not be as dumb as some would like to believe? Maybe the cutbacks were too little too late, or perhaps it's all part of a pending sale negotiation? It's all speculation at this point. There are a few people on the outside who act like they are "insiders" to Estes, but none of them are named Barry Tunick as far as I know.

Last edited:
What I found interesting is the the Rocket Doctor referred to an online resume of a former Estes employee looking for work. He obviously still knows some 'inside' information in order to be able to find things like that. It was another poster who started the rumor and the RD confirmed that is was well know it was for sale.

What I found interesting is the the Rocket Doctor referred to an online resume of a former Estes employee looking for work. He obviously still knows some 'inside' information in order to be able to find things like that. It was another poster who started the rumor and the RD confirmed that is was well know it was for sale.

The employee looking for work was Roguepink, who was a member here and over on YORF. It's been a while since RP was an Estes employee and even longer since RD was told he wasn't needed at Estes. I'm sure they still have contact with Estes employees, and maybe even Barry himself. I'm not disputing the fact that Estes is for sale, pending a sale, or sold. That possibility exists in big way. What I want to see is an announcement from the new owner(s) that it's a done deal. Until then, it's still talk.

Back