• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Estes Fat Boy Alert

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderburner

Reaction score
This is NOT mine (I am not the seller) but since there always seems to be someone here on TRF looking for a Fat Boy, I thought I would point out this one:

https://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-fat-Boy-...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

Or, if that link doesn't work, look for ebay item 190284891635. I tried a couple bids but it is already to $20 (including shipping) and I don't need another one that badly. There is one bidder (don't have a clue who he is, might even be one of us?) who seems to want it so be prepared to go a little higher.

Edit: Another one at
https://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-2139-Fat...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

(This one hasn't gone to crazy prices.....yet)

Last edited:
LOL! Same bidder tho.

Oooh that guy is starting to annoy me.... :rolleyes:

not sure if i can ask this but does anyone know what parts the fat boy uses and does anyone have a fin pattern to just do a scratch build?

I really want one but the prices get a little steep.

Last edited:
not sure if i can ask this but does anyone know what parts the fat boy uses and does anyone have a fin pattern to just do a scratch build?

I really want one but the prices get a little steep.

Unless you have the parts just laying around, it will probably cost you more to clone it than to buy one.

I have RockSim files for a stock size, a 3.9" dia. upscale and a 7.5" Dia. upscale. PM me if you want any of these.

Last edited:
Yes, if you have to clone the entire kit, it might cost more than just buying one at 'collector' prices

But

If you look around you can probably find a PNC-80 for around $4 to 5, but shipping costs will add to that. Do you have a local club? Ask around, someone might have one for sale or trade.

The body tube was just plain old BT80, the same as you can buy from a wide range of vendors.

You can make your own fins from any sheet of balsa. I think the stock in the kit was around 1/8 inch thick. I will do some digging around for the pattern, I am pretty sure I have that info and can post it later.

The MMT is one item where you can definitely get parts. The original FB used an 18mm motor mount but lots of builders prefer to use a 24mm mount, or a cluster of 18mm. Use regular BT20 or BT50 stock. If you spend enough time on the internet you can find some pretty crazy cluster arrangements. This is your chance to build a FB with a mount for Estes E motors or the new Quest 29mm motors (but you will need to add some nose ballast to maintain stability) and you can always use a removable motor adapter to launch with regular 18mm motors.

Centering rings can be made yourself from a wide variety of materials. For this rocket, you don't need anything heavier than a good cardboard. I like to use picture-framing-matt-board, like they sell at craft stores. My local stores put it on sale often for half price, and it's a good material to keep on hand for scratch-building. There are free software tools for laying out your CR pattern that you can glue to the cardboard.

The killer (if you MUST have this part) is going to be the decal. If you can live without it, fine, you can build a Fat Boy for reasonable cost. If you have to order a replacement decal set it will probably cost you $10-15. We have some great decal vendors that hang out here on TRF, maybe one of them would make you a deal?

A Fat Boy can be replicated for reasonable prices but you may want to keep shopping for factory-made kits just to get one in original form.

Wow - I didn't realize they were going for so much. I am glad I stocked up before they went out of production. I also have a few unused decal sheets.

Here is the fin pattern....

FatBoy Fin.jpg

I found 3 of them in an older hobby shop for $15 each.

I'm going that way tomorrow. I may buy them.:rolleyes:

I should have been more clear, I would like to get an original but right now I am on a red max tear, so I want to do a Goonie Fat Max with the decals and instructions that are available so that is where I am going right now.

Sandman, Any chance you want to share? :) As a fellow turner, maybe we can work out a deal.

Greg

I should have been more clear, I would like to get an original but right now I am on a red max tear, so I want to do a Goonie Fat Max with the decals and instructions that are available so that is where I am going right now.

Sandman, Any chance you want to share? :) As a fellow turner, maybe we can work out a deal.

Greg

Greg,

This is a case of you are a day late and I was a dollar short.

I didn't realize you would want one and I forgot to bring extra cash with me so I didn't bother to stop.

I may be going back there soon so I'll check with you before I go.

I just though $15 was a bit expensive for a Fat Boy.

I'll PM you before I go back there...promise.

I just though $15 was a bit expensive for a Fat Boy.

I think that's about where the retail price was supposed to be set, IIRC.
I'm with you, that is a bit higher than I paid (I always bought them on sale), but that was back then. At "today" prices, that's a bit on the low side. As a service to rocketry humanity, you should grab those up while you have the chance. I am pretty sure you will run into someone who wants them!

BTW, here is a Fat Boy NC for sale at a reasonable price:
https://cgi.ebay.com/EST303168-Este...79088287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0

Last edited:
For those of you looking for one, they are getting fewer and further between. I would expect prices to start going past $20.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-Model-Ro...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

And the standard disclaimer: I am not the seller, I don't know the seller, I have absolutely no stake in whether this thing sells for pennies or millions, I am not recommending the seller, I am not recommending ebay, and I don't have a favorite color. You're on your own--

whle scratch building seems kinda expensive, it really isn't if you have more to shop for. If you are trying to pull together the parts for 1 kit, you will pay more. If you are thinking about scratch building a number of kits, you can spread out the shipping cost a little more. Some vendors offer discounted shipping if you buy more, so check the shipping policies.

For those of you looking for one, they are getting fewer and further between. I would expect prices to start going past $20.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-Model-Ro...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

And the standard disclaimer: I am not the seller, I don't know the seller, I have absolutely no stake in whether this thing sells for pennies or millions, I am not recommending the seller, I am not recommending ebay, and I don't have a favorite color. You're on your own--

I got that one..Didn't go too much over $20....$20.50..I am happy with it :)

I have another one in the 'launchables' packaging ..Should have bought the other 3 that were in WM when I got that one...

I have another one in the 'launchables' packaging ..Should have bought the other 3 that were in WM when I got that one...
I agree. I found one, but it was before I found out about buying more for other stuff. For $8.88, I should have gotten all I could find. I now know to look all over all Wal-Marts, learn stuff when it's too late!

Hopefully the Fat Boy will become a BMS clone of the month kit sometime in the future.

I now have the Fat Boy decals available as waterslide decals.

I haven't posted them on the site yet but they are $6 a set.

OK, standard disclaimer, I'm not the seller, don't know him, don't stand to gain one way or the other on this deal, and actually don't even like ebay much anymore so I don't know why I'm promoting this, but....

Another Fat Boy auction comes to a close pretty soon. The price has gone up to where (with $9 shipping added in) it is not much of a "deal" (IMHO) but if you are looking for one, here you go

item #190329580155
https://cgi.ebay.com/Estes-Beta-Ser...in_0?hash=item2c5086ea7b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Back