Estes F15-8 Cato

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLP1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Was at the Tripoli Houston Launch Saturday (Great Launch) and was going to fly my Estes Star Orbiter on an F15-8. This was to be the 3rd flight of this rocket in the last 3 months all using F15-8's. The rocket had cleared the launch rod when the motor cato'ed sending all of the motor contents except for the case up thru the rocket. The nose cone, melted chute, shock cord, dog barf all went skyward followed by a bright orange fireball that went about 30 feet into the air before hitting the ground. The rocket was slammed to the ground breaking the body tube just below the upper launch lug and cracking the plastic motor retainer. I had inspected the motor before installing and it visually looked fine. Motor fit was good and it went right into the motor mount.

Attachments

• SO Body Tube.jpg
    SO Body Tube.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 38
  • SO Retainer.jpg
    SO Retainer.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 42
  • SO.jpg
    SO.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 47
  • F15-8 Empty Case.jpg
    F15-8 Empty Case.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 52
  • F15-8 motor cato.jpg
    F15-8 motor cato.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 51
Looks like the propellant grain delaminated from the case. Contact Estes and they'll replace the rocket and send you replacement motors. They're restarting the E18/F15 line after a retooling so you may want to ask for motors from the new process which is supposed to be better. Also file the MESS report https://www.motorcato.org/

Yep, contacted Estes this morning waiting on their reply.

MESS report has been filed 👍

Also the date code on the motor was B 19 02 19

Hated losing the rocket but Estes made good. Sending me another Star Orbiter and since there are no F15's available they gave me a credit for the (2) motors. Already in the mail on it's way so I give 5⭐ to Estes customer service.:)

Back