Quantcast

Estes F15-6 black powder motor!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Bill Gibson

Reaction score
094.jpg I picked these up at Hobby Lobby yesterday with a 40% off coupon....can anyone tell me a little more about them? Never used them....are they more dependable then the 24mm E motors some people have been experiencing CATOs with? Are they true F motors?

tab28682

Reaction score
The Estes BP at motors are "true" F motors, but that does not mean they are full F motors. The are about 50 Ns total impulse.

http://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Estes/F15.pdf

I have not heard nearly as many complaints about the 29mm BP E and F motors compared to the 24mm E motors.

The Estes F is a mid power motor, not a low power motor. You would likely find more info about it in the Mid Power forum or the Propulsion forum.

Last edited:

Bill Gibson

Reaction score
Thanks! I think I accidently clicked on the wrong forum! DUHH!:)

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I've flown a bunch of the F15s and E16s. No problems yet!

bill_s

Reaction score
They're about the same total impulse as non-Hazmat Aerotech composite F motors and 29 mm CTI F motors, but less thrusty than most and a bit heavier. The worst thing is that since Hobby Lobby doesn't understand rocketry they don't carry the shorter delay F15-4 motors that work better with the heavier PSII rockets they used to sell, only the versions for what they now sell.

The design is conservative, with relatively less thrust peak than the 24 mm motors. Burn is nicely long and steady to the end unlike most composite thrust profiles.

Last edited:

TangoJuliet

Reaction score
And just what models would these work best with? I think my local Hobby Lobby has some of these and it may be worth my while to buy them if I can build a model worthy of using them.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I have the Majestic and the rest have been modified or scratch built. I converted a Mega Mosquito, a Big Daddy, a Mini Bertha, and Maxi Alpha for them. I scratched a bunch of others including a x3 cluster. The F15-4 seems to work well in an Aerotech Cheetah.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
PS - several of my models need the -4. I get them from Hobbylinc.

bill_s

Reaction score
Actually, I flew the F15-6 a few times with rockets weighing about a pound without motor, but the last one broke the shock cord and it would have zippered without rear ejection. Adding 1 ounce of lighting to the rocket reduced the ejection height a couple hundred feet. My Panavia kit (14 oz.) may still get some of them.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
I have used them successfully but thought the results were disappointing. However never had an F CATO. I've got an E left that two of three CATOed, anyone willing to take a chance??

I would rather shoot an AeroTech E white lighting reload than an Estes F.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I have used them successfully but thought the results were disappointing. However never had an F CATO. I've got an E left that two of three CATOed, anyone willing to take a chance??

I would rather shoot an AeroTech E white lighting reload than an Estes F.
Well, the E16's come in 2 packs.

tab28682

Reaction score
Well, the E16's come in 2 packs.
I think he meant a 24mm E12 and not a 29mm E16. The E12s used to come in 3 packs.

I have seen a few of the Estes F15s fly and they look like fun in the right rockets. I recently purchased a PSII E2X Trajector on sale and look forward to flying it on that motor.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I think he meant a 24mm E12 and not a 29mm E16. The E12s used to come in 3 packs.

I have seen a few of the Estes F15s fly and they look like fun in the right rockets. I recently purchased a PSII E2X Trajector on sale and look forward to flying it on that motor.
Yup that's what I figured. Apples and oranges...for now.

Cabernut

Reaction score
My local(1.5 hours away) Hobby Lobby seems to only sell the -4 and -8s. I like the Estes 29mm BP motors. Lower thrust but an easy way to do mid-power staging. An F15-0 staging to an F15-8 is a nice sight.

swatkat

Down these mean skies, a kat must fly!
Reaction score
I wish that they had the 4 second delays, those would be much better for most of the rockets (PS-II and other 29mm mounts as stated above). I will say that my 13 Oz (w/o motor) Panavia flies great on the F15-6. Nice and slow, long burn to about 700 feet. 6 seconds blows just past apogee.

Bill Gibson

Reaction score
Thanks for the the good info guys! So it sounds like these motors will work ok with a rocket weighing around 8 to 15oz!

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
I built a BT70 based Vigilante upscale with these motors in mind.

Haven't tried an F-F flight yet. I love the long burn, but the relatively lower thrust is a bit of a nail biter for two-stagers. Low-low wind limit. I'm planning on sticking to the E16 for the lower stage in future flights. Easier for booster recovery, too :)

mccordmw

Reaction score
The F15 is the motor I've flown the most. I probably have 30+ launches on a mix of F15-8 and F15-6 motors on an Estes Trajector. They have a nice, long burn of 3.5 seconds. The initial thrust is a bit low, so you get slow, majestic takeoffs from the rod with a PSII model. I prefer not to use these motors with my PSII on windy days due to too much weathercocking. They will put my Trajector up to around 1200 feet. The ideal delay is around 6 seconds, but the extra 2 seconds of falling won't hurt these light PSII models.

I've linked this before. Here's my Trajector going up on an F15-8 at Buder Park in STL with our St. Louis Rocketry Association.

[video=youtube;aHIybHO6ZQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHIybHO6ZQk[/video]

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
I built a BT70 based Vigilante upscale with these motors in mind.

Haven't tried an F-F flight yet. I love the long burn, but the relatively lower thrust is a bit of a nail biter for two-stagers. Low-low wind limit. I'm planning on sticking to the E16 for the lower stage in future flights. Easier for booster recovery, too :)
I have flown a bunch of F15s in various configurations. My dual deploy 4-29SS gives a nice 1100 foot flight on 4 F15's, and a 4 stage rack rocket does surprisingly well in light wind conditions. I've also airstarted 8 F15s in my Motoreater after boosting on a J.
Here's video of the rack rocket.
[YOUTUBE]6WZrA9sLHpI[/YOUTUBE]

Latest posts