Estes F black powder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roytyson

Reaction score
Has anyone heard an update on the retooling to get F BP back on the shelf?

With the new 29mm motored Skylab Saturn V on the “Coming Soon” page I can’t imagine Estes would release it without having Estes motors ready to fly it - we’ll probably see the 29mm motors about the same time as the new SV.

I recently was able to get Estes F15-6 from Hobbylinc.com. Estes still lists them as "out of stock" on the Estes website but Hobbylinc.com either found some old stock or maybe these are new production? I really like these motors for Star Orbiters, Majestics and the like. Never have had any problems with them.

I recently was able to get Estes F15-6 from Hobbylinc.com. Estes still lists them as "out of stock" on the Estes website but Hobbylinc.com either found some old stock or maybe these are new production? I really like these motors for Star Orbiters, Majestics and the like. Never have had any problems with them.

What is the date code on your motors? (String of 2-digit numbers with a letter )

Thanks! I did not realize those numbers on the Estes motors were date codes. Sure wish Estes would get back to making new ones. Right now they are hard to find!

Yep I just had an F15-8 take out my new star orbiter, broke it's back and cracked the motor retainer. Estes made good on replacement of the kit and credit on the motors.

Date code was: B 19 02 19 (Motors purchased from Hobbyline)

I've posted pics and info in an earlier post....

Hate to hear your brand new Star Orbiter got knocked out. Never have had any problems with the Estes motors but I do keep a couple of Star Orbiters on hand and ready to go figuring it is only a matter of time for some kind of loss. A third I built with the Vander- Burn upgrades so only use composite motors in that one. Glad Estes came through with a replacement for you. I have heard for quite some time that Estes has supposedly refurbed their manufacturing machine for the big BP motors but personally I have my doubts that we will ever see any new ones....

I have heard for quite some time that Estes has supposedly refurbed their manufacturing machine for the big BP motors but personally I have my doubts that we will ever see any new ones....

Estes themselves said they were doing it at virtual NARAM a few months ago and new motors were coming in fall. The Saturn V Skylab that's coming out soon also has a 29mm motor mount and the E16-4 and F15-4 as recommended motors. They're coming; just be patient.

My LHS has nearly all the E16/F15 motors in stock, they were out for quite a while, sometime early this fall I noticed the pegs mostly populated. Don't know the date codes, I'm still going through the Hobby Lobby closeout packs ($6.99 for a pack of F15s!). Fun motors, no doubt.

Hm, still out of stock on the Estes website. Your LHS probably got some old stock.
If Estes makes 10,000 and had back orders from distributors and retailers for 35,000 then they all get shipped out and the tiny Estes store in the corner of the huge warehouse has zero stock. Eventually the supply pipe will fill up and they can walk over from the store to the warehouse and pull some stock to put in the store and then they will show as in-stock.

Estes responded to my inquiry to say that indeed the motors have become available earlier than expected (although later than *originally* expected), which is great.

The spice must flow!

Until I have a new build to feature I figured I'd take a trip down memory lane. :)
Chris does the same with his banners.
It's like having a girlfriend change her hair color.
Gonna have to get used to a whole new look.
And great news about the availability of the engines now.

Has anyone learned what Estes actually did in retooling the fabrication of E,F and G black powder? What is different and how is the new process better than before?
This is strictly from memory but iirc the machine they used for the larger motors wasn’t specifically designed for making them but had been adapted and modified for that purpose which led to inconsistencies in forming the propellant grain. Those inconsistencies could, if the motor was subjected to heat cycling, cause flaws in the grain that results in the fast, low-thrust burn through or blow out that caused the rocket to CATO. I think they did a total redesign of the machine specifically for making the larger BP motors - it’s supposed to eliminate the problems that can lead to the flaws in the grain. I don’t recall there being any specific discussions online about what precisely they did to the machine - I’m fairly sure that it would be proprietary information Estes wants to keep close to the vest.

Based on earlier comments in this thread, it sounds like Hobby Lobby carries, or at least carried at some point, these 29mm motors. Anyone have any idea if they'll stock these new productions motors?

Based on earlier comments in this thread, it sounds like Hobby Lobby carries, or at least carried at some point, these 29mm motors. Anyone have any idea if they'll stock these new productions motors?
HL carried the 29mm BP PSII motors when they carried the PSII kits. No more PSII kits no more 29mm motors - HL only stocks motors that work with the kits they sell. So if you see a Doorknob or Skylab Saturn V on HL’s shelf hopefully there’s 29mm motors next to them 😉

from Hobby Lobby:

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately I am unable to confirm if we will carry the product mentioned for online purchase. Our buyers have sole discretion over the items that are carried online and in the Hobby Lobby stores. There are several variables that our buyers contemplate when considering to carry a certain product/product line on our website. Please make sure to check back as we are adding new items to our website regularly.

If you have any additional questions or comments please don’t hesitate to ask. Your time and business are important to us.

Best Regards,

Customer Service – HH

Ecommerce

P:
1-800-888-0321

E: [email protected]

7600B SW 44th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73179

Back