Estes Extreme 18mm #7306 MD looking good!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
Lately, I've taken an interest in high performance 18mm rockets, building a Hi-Flier, Wizard, Yankee, and a Zinger clone. Estes has just released another high performer with cardstock fins similar to a Hi-Flier and a long conical nose cone. I'm digging it! The reflective streamer will be especially helpful for those big shots on a C6-7 or Quest D motor.

https://estesrockets.com/product/00...xHUQ&utm_content=97422712&utm_source=hs_email

I saw this too, and I'm going to pick one up as well. I've never had a Hi-Flier, and I know they're almost identical rockets, but for some reason, this one appeals to me more, maybe because it's giving me Estes Ninja vibes with it's color scheme. I might go ahead and get a Hi-Flier, and compare flights with this one!

I question the change to a conical nosecone, but maybe that's the highest aspect ratio 18mm cone they've got.

The cardstock fins seem interesting. Much smoother than balsa I'd imagine, easy to paint (but maybe wimpy to sand).
I wonder if superglue along the edges and a fine sanding implement could give teeny tapers to the edges

People talk about rockets like this and the HiFlier as performance rockets. They do look cool and “look” fast. But from a performance standpoint, seems to me fins are too big and not optimally shaped,

Aside from the Sprint, what 18mm options does Estes have that built stock are real altitude seekers?

The cardstock fins seem interesting. Much smoother than balsa I'd imagine, easy to paint (but maybe wimpy to sand).
I wonder if superglue along the edges and a fine sanding implement could give teeny tapers to the edges

I just remember the Ninja and Viking bending fins on every landing. Ended up replacing the fins on both with thin balsa.

Soaking the edges with CA doesn't do any good as it can't soak far enough in it make them stiff.

Aside from the Sprint, what 18mm options does Estes have that built stock are real altitude seekers?
Sprint is BT-50.

Sterling Silver (and its Hobby Lobby-exclusive twin Epic II) are minimum diameter and do get up there. I've yet to get the nerve to fly it with a C in both stages. 1702 feet C6-0 to B6-6 per FS Mini aboard.

I'd be skeptical that this Xtreme will really do 1600 feet on an Estes C6. Maybe Q-Jet C12-8.

Sprint is BT-50.
True, not minimum diameter, but the original (non-XL) version had a boat tail and went with 18mm motors.

Had to search a bit, found this

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/70est048.html
Advertised maximum altitude 1600 feet. “Designed to give the highest performance in its class”

Of course, begs the question, what class is it? Do you compare it to 18mm motor rockets or to BT-50 diameter rockets. I know boat tails are good for performances but I’m thinking for the same motor diameter, minimum diameter bests boat tail non-minimum diameter in performance.

HiFlier has an apparent split personality, this advertisement says “up to 1500 feet” under features and “1690 feet” under specs!

https://www.hobbylinc.com/estes-hi-flier-model-rocket-kit-skill-level-1-2178

......cardstock fins similar to a Hi-Flier and a long conical nose cone.

I want to like it but it's it's just a slightly longer Hi Flier with a different nose cone and paper fins.

I'm happy to see Estes is putting out new models and hope they continue to do so.
I agree and was going to say the same thing looks very similar to a hi-flier. The fins look like nearly the same pattern just different material.

People talk about rockets like this and the HiFlier as performance rockets. They do look cool and “look” fast. But from a performance standpoint, seems to me fins are too big and not optimally shaped,

Wizard, Yankee. I put my Wizard up on a D16-8 last month, and it was awesome.

One advantage the Extreme should have over the Hi-Flier, is the longer length should eliminate the need for nose weight.

Looks like a fun inexpensive way to burn C6-7 motors! Is that a new NC? I don't recall seeing such a long conical BT-20 cone from Estes.

For a while the Estes catalogs had the Yankee listed with the highest expected altitude of 2000 feet. It more recent catalogs that estimate has been revised down to "...amazing heights over 1,800 feet!". I'd bet that the Yankee or the Wizard are perhaps the tops in terms of altitude.

got the email notification and ordered 2. It does look like a hiflier, and idk about cardstock wings, as I hate the viking wings, but im excited or new estes rockets.

I got 2 so we can see how high this one will really go w/o fear of losing it.

Guessing a bit on exact dimensions, a quick Rocksim of the Xtreme gives:
C6-7: 1615'
C12-8: 1679'
D16-8: 1969'

Back