Estes Expedition Motor Assembly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Garvin

Male Strumpet
Reaction score
Due to the weather over the last week....every day humidity has been 80% or higher....I've got 3 rockets waiting on paint.....so, I started an Expedition. It's got a pretty cool motor mount assembly, a bit different from the usual:

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Yup, definitely not your fun of the mill motor mount. I have pulled mine out of the bag and mocked up a few things in an effort to make a 4 motor cluster. The build will start in earnest after the Pinewood Derby race in February. I'll be interested to see how your build goes.

I'm just gonna build it per kit specs.....more for the fleet than anything. This kit does have some interesting parts for future kit bashing efforts.....not that it helps, but I've got a couple Ventris kits in the build pile. I already have a spec Ventris that I've flown a few times.....I'm thinking about bashing one into a Ventris sized Honest John.

My first thought was to put three dummy nozzles on it to dress things up a bit and complete the look but the rocket gods started to stir as I was considering it. I was only able to calm them by making the commitment to clustering if I include the nozzles.

Get one of those motor kits with the three motors canted outward.....from Apogee I think? They'd be pretty cool coming out of the fairings, but then there'd be some fin work to do.....

I am building a Tres right now and I plan on bashing a simliar MMT with the 24mm central mount. The three canted tubes will vent into the central tube so that it can be flown on 1,3 or 4 motors. It's not terribly complicated but will be a bit more precise that most of what I usually build.

Back