Estes Executioner Mods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
Hi,
I just recently bought an Executioner. Are there any worthwhile mods to this one? I did a little searching here and saw a diagram for a baffle system. I'd like to do this. I'd also like for it to look stock (i.e. no stretching or anything). I am adding a third centering ring.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason...
Did the baffle and the 3rd centering ring. 3rd ring is positioned on the MMT where the top of the fins meet the BT. Not sure if you saw the baffle I used (pic here). I've flown it twice on F21's and it has worked perfectly. Only other things I did was to put epoxy fillets on the fins and use a 3/8" x 9' elastic for the shockcord.

I flew mine today on a f-23 and the area right above the fins is
very weak now..I have only flown it 4 times twice on e-18
and twice on f motors....next one I build will have some small balsa stiffeners inside the lower body tube area.

Stones: Is the distance between the end of the motor mount and the baffle very important? The reason I ask is because when I was building the motor mount and sliding the hook retainer on, the glue I used dried quick and I crumpled about 4 inches of the mount tube at the top.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason...
I take it you are removing the crumled up section of the MMT? My guess is, you should be ok. One other thing, I went with two(2) plates on the baffle instead of three(3).

Yeah, I did remove that piece. Duh! must be late and I forgot!

Would you recommend going with plates like yours or something like the first ring would have holes punced along its edge, then the second with a single large hole in the middle, then the third one with holes punched along the outside?

Thanks,
Jason

Last time I used a disk with small holes around the outside I had a D12 blow the whole thing out of the rocket... at least 2 feet of BT80 between the motor mount and the disk and it had 8 1/4"(?) holes around simply for use as a parachute shelf thingy. Anyway, I epoxied it like there was no tomorrow as a repair for the last time it blew up (that was a cato though). I'd just suggest making sure the area of hole is fairly large and not very restrictive, just block hot particles, not all the gases....

I replaced the motor tube with a loc/precision 24mm tube to better handle the heat of the AP motor ejection charges, laminated the centering rings with 30 minute epoxy, added a kevlar line from the motor tube - up through top centering ring, out the top of the rocket, attached that to the supplied shock cord for added length and strength. Other than that, stock.

Loopy

havoc, go up to the top and click on the search and enter baffle and hit enter. There is descriptions and pictures hanging around out there from prior post.
Randy

Back