Estes Executioner Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Powderburner, what a good question (this is becoming a philosophical thread)... I can give you my answer, but there are much more talented rocket designers/finishers out there than I so they should chime in...

For me I approach it the same way as doing work for clients in my business (Apex Consulting). In my line of work I do a lot of directing of Marketing/Design companies on new product or new company launches. The artwork, design, branding, etc. are all very much related to the business itself and those personalities involved in the business. Every new business brand building effort is unique (it has to be to differentiate), so logo design, theme colors, shapes, etc. emerge out of the personality of the business. Saying that, I really do the same thing when picking colors/designs for a rocket. I try to take my inspiration from the rocket itself (shape of the fins, lines, etc.), or something related to the rocket (decals, history, etc.). In this particular case, I gravitated toward the main Executioner decal which is one thing I liked on the kit. The little executioner pictured and the shape of his ax along with the black, red and yellow reminded me of a King or Jack in a card deck, thus I decided to carry this theme throughout and so the colors and sections/lines were picked to match what you'd see on a playing card (without getting too fancy/time consuming). Case in point below, as I just finished applying the Krylon red.

I know what you mean about not being too crazy about the original Estes color concept, but I am "color & decoration challenged" when it comes to inventing new paint schemes. I am aware of the recommendation to choose complimentary colors from opposite sides of the color wheel, but that only takes you so far. And too many colors starts looking trashy. So what do you do? I am curious what you come up with for the Executioner, and how much of the kit's decal stock you try to keep.

(We need a talented, artistic person to give us--well, me, at least--instruction in rocket colors, patterns, and decorating in general. Sort of a Painting 101, or Decorating for Dummies.)

IMG_0666.JPG

I know what you mean about not being too crazy about the original Estes color concept, but I am "color & decoration challenged" when it comes to inventing new paint schemes. I am aware of the recommendation to choose complimentary colors from opposite sides of the color wheel, but that only takes you so far. And too many colors starts looking trashy. So what do you do? I am curious what you come up with for the Executioner, and how much of the kit's decal stock you try to keep.

I thought it looked pretty decent with Rustoleum Metallic Blue and some red pinstriping, but maybe that's just me. The pinstriping was a pain, btw. :bang:

O.K. into the final stretch here. One picture after final coat and removing masks and ready for 600 grit rub down.

IMG_0667.jpg

After applying the decal and a couple of monocote highlights I finished with airbrushing of Future Finish--oh, but one more important thing-- THE CHUTE.

IMG_0671.JPG

And finally a couple of shots of the final product at different angles. Note from aft end I have a casing/retention installed to get an idea of the final under recovery weight (comes in at 1lb, 2oz.). Seems like it'll be a nice G/H bird for a small field.

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

That turned out pretty darn nice for what started as a quick build.
Very impressive paint job!

And finally a couple of shots of the final product at different angles. Note from aft end I have a casing/retention installed to get an idea of the final under recovery weight (comes in at 1lb, 2oz.). Seems like it'll be a nice G/H bird for a small field.

I agree that it'll be a good G/H bird, I don't know about doing that on a small field. A quick sim at 2.5" dia. 18oz, and Cd 0.7 (Yours will probably be much less) it shows 600+ feet on a 24mm F24W and about 1,200 feet on 29mm F40W or F52T. An H180W should hit 3,000 feet. If that is OK for a "small" field, go for it.

Take pics and movies!!!!

Great build.

I agree that it'll be a good G/H bird, I don't know about doing that on a small field. A quick sim at 2.5" dia. 18oz, and Cd 0.7 (Yours will probably be much less) it shows 600+ feet on a 24mm F24W and about 1,200 feet on 29mm F40W or F52T. An H180W should hit 3,000 feet. If that is OK for a "small" field, go for it.

Take pics and movies!!!!

Great build.

I guess small field is relative. It does around 2000ft on a G64 which is OK for the MPR field on my property (on a calm day).

I guess small field is relative. It does around 2000ft on a G64 which is OK for the MPR field on my property (on a calm day).

You're right about the field size being relative.

Remember, that rocket, being so light, with an H180W motor, would still be a class 1 rocket and wouldn't require a waiver to fly. As long as you have your L1 cert and the safety distances are right, you can still fly it on your property with any H motors that has less then 125g of propellant.

That fact probably makes your field 'relatively' smaller.

Have fun.

Back