Estes Executioner 29mm build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjstech

Reaction score
I am nearly done with a stock Executioner E 24mm, just need to attache lugs(may use 1/4"), prime, and paint. I had this kit sitting a while in bag in a box and the plywood fins were warped a bit. I emailed Estes customer service asking if they could send a replacement set. I got a reply email the next day saying it would be 2-4 weeks. Frustrated at the delay given I thought about how to get the fins straight. I ended up soaking them in water for a few minutes, sealing them in ziplock bagies and putting them inside of books stacked on top of each other. After 3 days the fins were straight. I had an issue with them fitting in the slotted body tube, as the slots aren't wide enough. I ended up cutting/sanding the slots to the proper size.
Anyways back to the current 29mm build. Remember the email about fins being 2-4 weeks out? Well 4 days after getting the reply email I got a pretty large package from Estes in Colorado. I took it inside and though wierd, why such a large box for some small fins. I open the box and whoohooo, a whole new Executioner kit. I recently took the fins out and they are warped a bit, so I am currently doing the trick above. The slots will need to be widend again, but this time a 29mm motor mount
5in_29mm_BT80-240x180.jpg

from unclemikesrocketshack will be installed. I also have an aerotech motor clip ordered too. I am waiting on the mount and hook to arrive, but was wondering how hard it will be to keep the fins as 'fin locked' with the larger mmt. The first motor for this will be an Aerotech F42-8T.

Last edited:
Since you are adding a 29mm MMT, you will have to sand down the root edges of the fins, as they will now be too big to sit flush on the outside of the body tube.

What I would suggest is to assemble the MMT, but DO NOT GLUE the lower centering ring. Add your motor retention to this lower ring, and put some tape on the edges to form a little area for you to grab. Glue your MMT into the body tube and position in place, then remove the lower ring after the glue or epoxy sets.

Now you can apply your fins, add glue fillets, and then attach the rear CR last.

Like this:

scooter end.jpg

scooter mmt.jpg

scooter mmt attached.jpg

scooter with fins.jpg

These are pics of my Madcow Scooter kit. Now I would say that as long as you don't use anything bigger than a G64 or a G80 you shouldn't have to glass your body tube. You may want to reinforce the fins, maybe even glass them to the tube, and get a different 'chute. A nice 24" nylon 'chute would be perfect.

Man I love the Executioner...

Here are (were ) my 2 Executioners, one 24mm stock, the other 38mm. Never got to fly the 38mm, someone took it out of my garage one day.

ex 04.jpg

ex 05.jpg

On my stock Ex, no, at least from what I can remember. On my 38mm, I swapped them out for 1/8" or 1/4" ply, and then glassed them.

Slots were tight. Fins slightly warped but reinforced with epoxy and milled fiber and filled well with Bondo--now they look balanced/even.

did you guys have the warped fins and too narrow slots too?

Great post! I am just returning to Model Rocketry with my son and just bought one of these.

My mian hobby is building & flying WWII R/C planes but forgot how fun rockets were after me & my son flew one he built last week.

My son and I built an executioner 2 years ago and love it.
The fins in our kit were warped pretty bad also. I called Estes
as you did and was told they would send new fins. But
like you, We also recieved a whole kit. I went to the local
hobby shop and bought 1/8" thick 5 ply plywood and made
my own fins and made new centering rings also.
I made our kit a 2 by 24 mm cluster. I also made a 24"
rip stop nylon parachute for it. It flys great. I still have
the other kit sealed in its package. Here are a few pics.
Oh, I used 1/4" lugs and I mounted them on a piece of 1/8"
thick balsa to keep launch rod from rubbing body tube. I also
epoxied a tube coupler inside of body tube against motor mount
to give a little extra support of body tube. That is the picture on
the right.

finish.jpg

mounttube&coupler.jpg

rings1.jpg

Last edited:
A useless bit of info, the picture of the finished rocket
was taken on the same bench as the one in my avatar.

Last edited:
Here are (were ) my 2 Executioners, one 24mm stock, the other 38mm. Never got to fly the 38mm, someone took it out of my garage one day.

I just read your post about the stolen rockets.
I see the date was June of 2007. Did you
ever find any of the rockets? Just curious, Is
your garage attached to your house? I have a detached
garage that sits about 10 feet behind and to the right
of my house and I leave it open any day I may
be working out in the yard. I have a two car garage
but only park my wife's car inside. I leave for work
before her and I have returned home from work to
find my wife has left the garage door open all day
with no one home. We have good neighbors and so far
we have been lucky. But, Other than my sons go-cart
we don't keep any of our hobbys in the garage.

I just read your post about the stolen rockets.
I see the date was June of 2007. Did you
ever find any of the rockets? Just curious, Is
your garage attached to your house? I have a detached
garage that sits about 10 feet behind and to the right
of my house and I leave it open any day I may
be working out in the yard. I have a two car garage
but only park my wife's car inside. I leave for work
before her and I have returned home from work to
find my wife has left the garage door open all day
with no one home. We have good neighbors and so far
we have been lucky. But, Other than my sons go-cart
we don't keep any of our hobbys in the garage.

Sent a pm so as not to hijack this thread...

Hello, I have been reading you build thread. A friend gave me the same rocket to get back in the hobby. Are they anything I should look for when building it or any mods that could be done?

I have two unbuilt Executioner kits. (Well, I have started one of them.) Neither one has warped fins. But the slots are 1/8" wide, while the fins are 3/16" thick. (My Fat Boy had the same problem.) I slipped a coupler into the slotted tube, then placed a fin tab into the slot so that one side was up against one side of the slot, and then traced around the tab where it overhung the other side. I made sure that I aligned the tab on the same side for each slot. Then I trimmed along the lines with my X-Acto to widen the slots. That was a few months ago. I'll get back to building this kit ... soon. :D

MarkII

Back