Estes ESA Vega-C vs ARIANE 5

Philip Tiberius D.

Old Fashioned 2.5oz Rye/H2O 8 drops Orange Bitters
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Scrolling through my email I see Estes wanted my vote to help decide their next kit, the Vega-C or ARIANE 5. I don’t build many Estes products anymore but occasionally one has the potential for mods. I selected the link thinking I’d get to see tube diameters, lengths, motor diameter, etc… Nothing. Just select the rocket and receive a code for 15% off your next purchase. For what it’s worth I selected the ARIANE 5.

Initiator001

Reaction score
They need a third option - Both
Fourth option-Neither

Fifth option-More American space vehicles
Space shuttle stack
Gemini-Titan
Mercury Atlas
Atlas Agena
Atlas Centaur

Story. In the late 1980s-early 1990s Estes was going to produce an Ariane model (I forget which version). Mike Dorffler built a very nice prototype model.
When Arianespace was contacted they wanted a royalty payment from each model sold. Estes told Arianespace that they did not pay royalties
as Estes considered it free advertising for Arianespace. The two companies could not reach an agreement and the project was cancelled.

I wonder how much the royalty fees will be for either one of these models. ;)

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Fourth option-Neither

Fifth option-More American space vehicles
Space shuttle stack
Gemini-Titan
Mercury Atlas
Atlas Agena
Atlas Centaur

Story. In the late 1980s-early 1990s Estes was going to produce an Ariane model (I forget which version). Mike Dorffler built a very nice prototype model.
When Arianespace was contacted they wanted a royalty payment from each model sold. Estes told Arianespace that they did not pay royalties
as Estes considered it free advertising for Arianespace. The two companies could not reach an agreement and the project was cancelled.

I wonder how much the royalty fees will be for either one of these models. ;)
It's thirty years later, maybe Arianespace will think differently now.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I would assume that no matter which one is picked, more than likely it'll be a part of the scale RTF fleet along with the Sat V and SLS.
I put in a vote for the Ariane 5 as well.

Last edited:

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I would assume that no matter which one is picked, more than likely it'll be a part of the scale RTF fleet along with the Sat V and SLS.
Exactly, which is why neither model would be of interest to me.

I did vote for the Ariane 5 simply because it's more interesting, and different from anything Estes has done before (that I can recall).