Estes EPM-010 Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here is a recently built upscale, which I call EPM-016:
21599309950_a8035f852d_c.jpg

21599304880_e64fa23ef1_c.jpg

21600436609_329a18afbe_c.jpg

Basically, it was upscaled from a roughly 1" diameter tube ("010" IMHO) to a roughly 1.6" tube (thus "016"), going from BT50 to BT60. So it is a roughly 2/3's bigger than stock. This model is 59" tall, and has a 24mm motor mount with a plastic screw-on retainer. Maybe it should've been 29mm, but the only 29mm to BT60 centering rings I could find were paper rather than plywood, and I didn't think that to be sufficient. Still, this is smaller than (but similar in weight to) a Mean Machine, so I don't expect it to be a problem. This will probably fly well on E20 & E30 composite motors. The paint is Rustoleum Sienna Orange, and the decals come from Stickershock.

Very nice rockets. They both are painted very nicely. Great job.

Those EPM's, both sizes, look great. I would not have hesitated to use the paper rings in this instance (29mm to BT-60) Maybe you can build a simple 3FNC to prove it to yourself. In any case, those 24mm AP motors will give the EPM-016 a nice ride.

Would adding some balsa gussets to reinforce the paper rings ease your worry ?

motor mount with gussets.png

Last edited:
I suppose it would, since it ought to aid the shear load on the rings. Though if I went through the effort of making that gusset, I'd probably just cut out a plywood centering ring instead. Or maybe just double the rings up. I have a planned build where it'll be one of the things I try.

Back