Estes Eliminator Meets Aerotech G35

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtmind

Reaction score
I made a sacifice to the rocket gods yesterday. I had upgraded my estes eliminator with a 29mm motor mount and a kevlar shock cord so needless to say it had flown on a couple F's. The thing held up very well, I assume because I painted it red with black fins and NC. ;) So yesterday we went to fly because we actually had almost no wind, and I realized I still had a couple Aerotech G35-7's in my ammocan. We popped a G35 in the eliminator, copperhead and all, and sent it up with two 3" streamers for recovery. Well, up it went, straight as an arrow, faster than anything I've ever flown. We watched the smoke trail until motor burnout, the rocket itself being invisible well before then. Then we watched the sky for a while, straight up and tword it's expected decent path. We never did see it come down, or at all for that matter, even after rolling around the area looking in trees and on roofs etc.

Maybe it will be found, maybe not, but I did learn an important lesson: The G35 is a beatiful motor!

Peace :cool:
Mike

Yep, it sure is. Too bad it's going out of production.

lol, i wouldve paid good money to see that show. i had an eliminator that i lost on an E9. lol. i was going to throw an E30 in it right after that flight, but it was lost, so i never got the chance. what'd you do for stability? the eliminator doesnt have a ton of nose weight. lol. it only weighs 4.6oz.

When I put the motor mount in I used 20 min epoxy, I just poured the extra into the nosecone. It turned out to be enough for stability.

Mike

because Eliminators seem to get lost quite often. :D :D :D
I lost one on an E9 also.
As someone suggested, it is now the Estes Eliminated.

Greg

Originally posted by mtmind

Maybe it will be found, maybe not, but I did learn an important lesson: The G35 is a beatiful motor!

They were nice motors but I'm sure your opinion of them might change if you had three of them CATO in a row.

If you like the Aerotech G35, build another Eliminator and try an Ellis Mountain G35, that has a much longer burn than the AT G35.:D

well, the AT isnt a full G right? and the ellis is? dont AT G's only hit 120Ns?

Originally posted by r1dermon
well, the AT isnt a full G right? and the ellis is? dont AT G's only hit 120Ns?

I think the AT G35 was 104 n/s, that is when they worked correctly while the Ellis G35 is 130 n/s so yes, the Ellis G35's have more total impulse but the Ellis Thor's Hammer propellant isn't all that thrusty and you better have a good hot ignitor to light these motors as they're pretty hard to light.

I would like to see an Eliminator on an AT G25. Those are incredible motors - 5+ sec. burn, 120n/s. Only problem is that with such a low initial thrust (~8lbs), you need a very light rocket for them. They get WAY up there though.

eliminator is pretty darn light. 4.6oz according to the manufacturer.

yeah man, i almost threw a 29mm in the eliminator, but i didnt want a shred, since it was my absolute first MPR bird. i hated losing that beast. goes forever on an E9, i think if i built a new one i'd still go 24mm, the D12 is the perfect motor for it.

Originally posted by cjl
I would like to see an Eliminator on an AT G25. Those are incredible motors - 5+ sec. burn, 120n/s. Only problem is that with such a low initial thrust (~8lbs), you need a very light rocket for them. They get WAY up there though.

Well, I flew one on an Aero-Tech G125. blew the fins off at transonic.

It had flown on three Ellis G35s before that. No nose wieght was needed, I just put in an inside LOC 29mm mount mount tube almost all the way to the front of the Estes tube to give it the strenght it needed.

Too bad the fins didn't holed up ;-)

plastic fincan:( too bad, that rocket is my alltime favorite. right up there with the estes wizard. sentimental of course. i can't believe it didnt need need nose weight. thats insane. i'll have to try that.

Careful. It did need nose weight. We don't know how much the excess epoxy weighed. As always, check the stability, and adjust as needed.

Mad Rocketeer hit it on the head, check the stability beforehand. I used west system epoxy (because it was there) 105 resin and 205 hardener, one pump from each, the motor mount used about on third to one half of the mix and the majority of the rest went in the tip of the nosecone. I can't say now exactly where it balanced, I never wrote this down, but after a quick vcp sim it was found to be stable. Please double check anything you build, and as I will now be doing, write everything down!

Mike

P.S. Holy Smoke did that thing GO! :eek:

Originally posted by Mad Rocketeer
Careful. It did need nose weight. We don't know how much the excess epoxy weighed. As always, check the stability, and adjust as needed.

Ok, I'll rephrase that.

Mine did not need nose weight to fly on Ellis G35s, as I flew it three times without any, and it had like almost two calibers of stability when checked.

Yours might have needed it, sorry I was not clear

I lost a Mustang on it's maiden voyage using an Ellis Mountain G35. :( I know, it was dumb.:D Just look at my username!!:p

Back