Estes Echo Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Not much excitement here, just another simple older Estes kit. The Echo rocket would reminds me of Mickey Mouse with the fin shape. I started this build yesterday, 4 coats of Sig sealer followed by simple construction. Today I shot purple Krylon paint and hopefully tomorrow apply the decals. These LPR kits do not require much......White glue, Balsa Sealer and paint. I tried to get close up pictures of the fins. I am always impressed with the dope based sealers.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 34
nice job, that thing just looks so fast, like if it were flying away from you that violet color would shift to red!

NICE!II I've liked this one for a while.

I had a sim of this started back in July, and I ran out of steam with the summer classes I had to teach. Scans of my sample's fins, instructions, and decals have already been posted to JimZ's site. Your build was the kick in the pants I needed to finish the sim.

I like Glen's idea about color shifting paint... I know of green to blue to purple... Looks like there are reds to purple out there too.

Last edited:
If you could find a color-shifting paint that would be cool, but the logo on the rocket kind of reminds me of the sound waves subjected to the Doppler effect, extending that into the lightspeed realm, you get the relativistic Doppler effect, i.e. the red shift... an optical analogy to the audible Doppler effect:

Velocity0_70c.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Doppler_effect
PS - the sound waves in the ECHO logo are kind of backwards, they would be closer together in front of the rocket and farther away behind the rocket, but it looks cooler the way they have printed it.

Really nice work. So often today you see people get carried away with huge fillets that are unnecessary. It's nice to see clean smooth lines on a classic rocket. 👍

Nice finish and profiles on the fins.

I've always wondered if anything is really gained by putting a knife-like profile on the trailing edge of a C-6 powered rocket, or if all it does is make the trailing edge that much more prone to getting damaged upon landing.

Nice finish and profiles on the fins.

I've always wondered if anything is really gained by putting a knife-like profile on the trailing edge of a C-6 powered rocket, or if all it does is make the trailing edge that much more prone to getting damaged upon landing.
If you paper the fins, and use the trick I came up with for sealing the edges, you'll get some of the strength back on knife edges.

Back