Estes E9 (Out of Production?)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Estes website and it appears that all references to the standard single-stage E9 motors that I KNOW they sold at one point have been removed. All I see is the E9-8 (upper stage) and various E12s in the 24mm size, plus the 29mm E16s.

Have the old E9s simply gone out of production or have they been rebranded as E12s?

Oh wow that was quick! Thanks to both of you.

But now you've got my curiosity up as to the inner workings of the motors. The thrust curve is noticeably different. Did they core out ignition end of the E12s more, or is it a different black powder formulation or what?

Apologies for my noobiness, I'm getting back into serious flying for the first time since I was a kid. I've got a lot to learn, apparently.

The E9s were having production problems. From what I heard, the motors made in the winter we’re having Catos so they retooled to the E12. There may be more to the story but that’s all I know.

Oh wow that was quick! Thanks to both of you.

But now you've got my curiosity up as to the inner workings of the motors. The thrust curve is noticeably different. Did they core out ignition end of the E12s more, or is it a different black powder formulation or what?

Apologies for my noobiness, I'm getting back into serious flying for the first time since I was a kid. I've got a lot to learn, apparently.
It is a nozzle change. The propellant mix is a trade and ancient Chinese secret!

Got it. I prefer General Tso's chicken myself.
😁
I’m all about Hunan - lots of veggies lots of spice! But on the other hand I’ve never had a problem with an E9 motor - though I did have a fast burn-low thrust E12 a few months ago crash my Mean Machine…

I’m all about Hunan - lots of veggies lots of spice! But on the other hand I’ve never had a problem with an E9 motor - though I did have a fast burn-low thrust E12 a few months ago crash my Mean Machine…
At least there’s plenty of body tube to spare.

What would an E9 sound like when it cato'ed?
Sounds about like the M-80's I used to get.

I had one det on a 3 stage kit I built.
You know it's bad when you see a dot with lines getting bigger, lol.
It landed where I was standing.
Neither of the upper stages lit, and the rocket was destroyed.
I still have another one of the engines; my evil twin wants to use it for an upper stage of a 3 stager, lol.

Back