Estes E9 and Econojet F21

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanboy

Reaction score
Ordered up some of both, haven't flown with either one yet. What can you guys tell me of each? Any rockets particularly well suited for these motors?

-B

Just recently I flew my Executioner on both motors you stated. It did great on the E9 but it rocked on the F21!! You'll have fun with both. I used the 4 second delay on the E9 and the 8 second on the F21. The E9 shot was about perfect, but the F21-8 was too long of a delay. However I was shooting in a pretty good wind and was arcing the shot quite a bit so that might have something to do with it.

Here's a pic of Ex' on the F21.

Barry

Thanks for the response. Been a while since I've flown 24, and even longer for BP. Will be neat building light again.

-B

The E9's are great for long, light rockets that are naturally overstable like many sounding rocket models. They're heavy and don't have much power off the pad so shorter models usually need nose weight. The long burn is cool though and they're my favorite BP motor. Not cheap but well worth it if you have a model that can use them.

Yeah, lightweight seems to be key. Superroc/sounding rocket look-alike and a light but very wide (frame-based with skin?) to make use of that slow yet long boost... This is gonna be fun! CHAD staging with a D12-0 also comes to mind.

Not sure yet for the Econojets...

-B

a light but very wide (frame-based with skin?)
I'm not sure what you mean by that but as an example of a rocket I scratch built that really loves the E9 I have a BT60 based D-Region Tomahawk thats 35" tall and weighs just under (no nose weight needed) 5 ozs. without motor. People have mistaken it's launches for having been on a composite. I'm guessing it goes to about 1200'. Not bad for a motor that cost about 3-4 dollars.

Wow, been a while since I've posted... Finally got around to ordering up some Estes Stormcasters.

Stormcasters are GREAT on E9-6's and E9-8's (the latter only in absolutely still conditions). I can't imagine what they would do on an F21 (probably hit the speed of balsa). Definitely extend the motor mount, though. E9's hold so much possibility with these rockets.

Nah, a Stormcaster should survive fine on F21's as long as you build it sturdy. It will go extremely high though. I have launched and recovered it on an F21 before though, so it is possible to do. Just make sure that you replace the parachute with an approriately sized streamer.

Estes' Big Daddy likes F21s. even stock Big Daddys.

although it's great with D12s, Flis's Richter Recker likes E9s a lot. My RR booster section airframe is slightly crumpled and I haven't repaired it, but I will eventually and I have 3x F21-6s saved for it. has anyone tried Richter Recker on F21s?

LOC's Viper III goes real good with F21s.

https://www.estesrockets.com/images/big_daddy_inst.pdf

Originally posted by cls
Estes' Big Daddy likes F21s. even stock Big Daddys.

although it's great with D12s, Flis's Richter Recker likes E9s a lot. My RR booster section airframe is slightly crumpled and I haven't repaired it, but I will eventually and I have 3x F21-6s saved for it. has anyone tried Richter Recker on F21s?

LOC's Viper III goes real good with F21s.

I built a Fat Boy with an E-sized mount. Goes really well on an E9-6. Haven't had the nerve to try an F21 yet...

Dare you to launch an Apogee Aspire on an E-9. I tried it once. One of these days, I need to pick up a new Aspire....

Dare you to launch it on an F10. I may pick up a new one someday...

at Black Rock I launched my Aspire on an F10, and it came back! broke a fin landing on the hard playa but that's not unusual. it was an awesome flight.

Originally posted by cls
at Black Rock I launched my Aspire on an F10, and it came back! broke a fin landing on the hard playa but that's not unusual. it was an awesome flight.

Same at our last launch at the sod farm in Lilly, GA. It wasn't found until the next day.

too bad your chances of finding an F10 for sale are less than finding an aspire recently launched on one...:( i'd go B6 at most. lol. i can't imagine that thing on a G80...

wow, scratch that, looks like apogee has some in stock...that's a first! kinda pricey, but it's an exotic motor i guess....

What is this talk about an Aspire on F10? Bah! I have sent mine up on a G25-10 and got it back (minus nose cone)

Flew it at NYPower a couple of years ago.

There's a launch pic floating around somewhere. According to the sims, it was supposed to go over 5K feet...

I have scratch-built 29mm birds that sim to 3K and change and have gotten them back on G35-7s.

Stormcaster is cheap, and while not optimal for high flights, I don't have the time to scratch-build 24mm bird for next weekend. Getting lazy I guess, hehe. E9 will mean a launch I can actually watch, F21 less so. At 1800'/2300' max altitude, shouldn't be too tough to get back versus what I've launched before. That is unless my skillz are too rusty, hehe.

-B

That F21 pic at the begining is strange, it is almost like a blackjack motor, the F21 24mm econojet SU motor is white lightning. That pic looks similar to an ellis mountain SU F20 (24mm).

The E9 is a great motor but when I launched my Excutioner on the E9-6 it weather cocked quite a bit but the delay was almost perfect. I have to fly my Excutioner on an F21-8. I've also flown my LOC Viper-3 one time on three E9-6 it just jumped off the pad and went up about 2000 feet.

The Estes Phoenix kit flies well on either of those motors, but it's now OOP. You may be able to find one online somewhere.

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
The Estes Phoenix kit flies well on either of those motors, but it's now OOP. You may be able to find one online somewhere.

WW

You can find them on E-bay but they're over stock price usually.

You have to carefully balance this particular model because of the large mid body fins. It often need more nose weight to offset the increased weight of the E9-4 motor. Then you lose altitude from the increased weight...

Now, the Maxi Honest John or the Maxi Alpha (or MA3) both fly amazing on the E9-4. Just install a longer motor hook.

They should bring the Maxi Honest John back for this motor.

Originally posted by wwattles

WW

I think one of the greatest AT made motors designed for estes rockets (well I am sure they made the dimensions the same so LPR could "take the step up") is the D21T, the F21 is great and so is the E15 and E30 but a D21 is a lot of power for such a small motor, the E15 and E30 are pretty decent, but when you get to the E9 and F21 the average thrust is only double... compared to the 3.5/1 average thrust of a D21T to an estes B or C motor.

Well, tried the F21 today. Great motor, except the delay was way too eager to go off, hehe. Popped the nose at the end of boost. Rocket can back in one piece (Stormcaster).

Will give an E9 a chance next time.

Thanks for all the comments!

-B

I just finished building a Quest Bright Hawk with a 24mm mount for E9-6's. I put 2-3/16" launch lugs on to be safe & cut a HUGE spill-hole in the stock chute. I still have to pick up a little clay for the nose weight. I think I'm gonna test the parachute out first with a launch on a C6-5 in a hollowed out D motor adapter & the orange spacer. I'd like to see how quickly the rocket descends & hopefully w/o any damage.

The E9 and the F21W Econojet are both great motors that can work equally well in the same rocket (with obviously higher altitude results using the F21 ;) )

I have a scratch-built 168% upscaled Estes Solar Sailer II that has a 3.75" long 24mm "E" engine mount. It's BT60 based with a BT52H central tube (why I glued the 24mm mount in there is a long story.)

Anyway, it flys *wonderfully* on both the E9-6 and the F21-8W.

The E9 provides noisy, majestic, and relatively slow liftoffs to about 800'. A superb demo combination. Here's a liftoff pic on the E9-6:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?postid=98266

The F21W, on the other hand, turns this rocket into a performance beast. Wonderful roar of the motor, and it screams off the pad like a cannon shot to around 1700'. Truly awesome! Here's the SSII lifting off on an F21W (I almost missed the shot it was so fast off the pad!):

https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?postid=241108

Back