Estes E2X Payloader

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dotini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I developed an interest in the Estes E2X and its fin unit not only as a practical beginner's rocket, but also as a source of parts for experiments. I was able to purchase several kits at a discount. Here, I have built this model with a payload compartment capable of carrying my altimeter.DSC00244.jpg
I added a 4.5" tube to the fin unit, installing a Qualman cross baffle and shock cord anchor here. Then came the kit tube with plenty of room for wadding, line and a big streamer. Atop that sits the 4.5" payload compartment which ejects together with the cone and streamer. The cone is attached with tape to facilitate removal of the payload (altimeter). The rocket weights 2.83 oz. complete with motor, streamer and tape. Overall length is now 21".

Last edited:
Very nice. While I am not a huge fan of the fin can stock, it's easily modified to look a bit more like the old challenger 1 can. The Generic E2X is regularly on sale at the HL in my area. I picked up a bunch of them for $3.99 about a year ago and use them to clone some of the older rockers like the Pegasus, America and Kadet.

Surprisingly it is a very stable rocket even on the D21-7. I've put a Kadet clone up 1700ft.

Back