Estes Double Ringer and the Simple Paper Ring Glider Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Estes “Double Ringer” rocket in my “to build” pile of rocket kits:

https://estesrockets.com/product/007279-double-ringer/
The rocket has two rocket boosted “ring”type parasite gliders that glide back to the ground. Really they are more like modified paper cups than “rings”.

It got me to thinking: The designer at Estes who designed the Double Ringer likely did not just dream up these odd, vaguely paper cup shaped, gliders for the first time. These gliders must have been tried before.

So they have. See this page in the education section of JPL’s website:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/teach/activity/ring-wing-glider/
The “ring wing glider”. That’s essentially what the Estes “Double Ringer” gliders are.

It seems to me that I ought to be able to create a sturdier version of the JPL “copy paper” ring wing glider fairly easily. Maybe I could use cardstock? I could then hook it onto virtually any rocket in my fleet whenever I feel like having some glider fun. Some sort of simple hook (piano wire? @milehigh )

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Anybody tried anything like this before?

Only one way to find out if this works…

Estes Industries Rocket Plan 56 the Flyin' Stovepipe.
Number 56 on this page of plans:
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/eirp.htm
Similar idea but the booster is in the center of the Ring Glider, and the booster holds the motor and tumbles for recovery.
Very little info on the web for this one. I haven't built one yet, I might try to downscale it for "T" motors.

Goose

Similar idea but the booster is in the center of the Ring Glider, and the booster holds the motor and tumbles for recovery.
Very little info on the web for this one. I haven't built one yet, I might try to downscale it for "T" motors.

Goose
I like it! I like it alot! Gonna’ make me a Flying Stovepipe!

Thanks!

I made one of the paper ring gliders from the link you posted and it flew rather poorly. I have always gotten good flights out of the more conventional ring shaped paper airplane design such as the one shown in this video that I found on YouTube.
You may be better than I at folding the ring design from NASA though!

I made one of the paper ring gliders from the link you posted and it flew rather poorly. I have always gotten good flights out of the more conventional ring shaped paper airplane design such as the one shown in this video that I found on YouTube.
You may be better than I at folding the ring design from NASA though!
JimZ has a much more updated plan package for the Flying Stovepipe...

Goose
I have looked hard at the Stove Pipe, and its glide stability is dependent on maintaining spin around its long axis.

the fins have a positive unilateral airfoil (either all clockwise or counterclockwise, you could probably get the same thing from a straight set of fins with a 2 degree or so “cant” angle) thus acquiring the axial rotational kinetic energy on boost. Motor ejection charge kicks the motor back until it hits the elongated motor hook, kinda like the Scout. The forward edge of the Stove Pipe wing has a built up inner edge which rests on the fins during boost. The rearward motor kick when it hits the motor hook slows the central nose cone/body/fin unit and the “Pipe” slides forward. I believe the forward flight of the Pipe section is only stable for as long as it continues to rotate. Something for @Dotini to think about, there should be some lateral Magnus effect as this falls, but may be hard to detect as the Pipe already has both a forward and a downward trajectory, but theoretically it should also translate laterally a bit as well.

would make an interesting upscale. Rear ejection recovery would be PERFECT for this design.

For the the Stovepipe I used loose fitting bt20 and a homemade pipe using kraft paper, watered glue and a peach can. No bt101 in my hands. You can also use erockets st-7. Flys great, sometimes a long walk. Unless the booster doesn't "kick" out properly, then it's a tangled mess. Still working on getting my upscale right.

Here's an Open Rocket simulation I created this morning of the Estes Flying Stovepipe.

I think @BABAR is onto something in regard to the spinning making the rocket stable, as the sim shows the rocket is unstable.

I've posted all the data below that I captured off the web, for future ref.

Looks like a fun rocket. It's like a "Transformer" more than meets the eye. Flying Stovepipe, glider in disguise.

2022-10-02 Open Rocket Photo Studio Estes Flying Stove Pipe.png2022-10-02 Open Rocket Photo Studio Estes Flying Stove Pipe at Separation.png2022-10-02 Open Rocket Simulation Estes Flying Stove Pipe .png
Estes Flying Stove Pipe Plan No 56 Page 1.pngEstes Flying Stove Pipe Plan No 56 Page 2.png

Fin Pattern.pngOR Fin Pattern.pngspacemodeling dot org.png
Yitah Wu Flying Stovepipe Rocket Reviews.png

Attachments

• Estes Flying Stove Pipe.ork
    3.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here's an Open Rocket simulation I created this morning of the Estes Flying Stovepipe.

I think @BABAR is onto something in regard to the spinning making the rocket stable, as the sim shows the rocket is unstable.

I've posted all the data below that I captured off the web, for future ref.

Looks like a fun rocket. It's like a "Transformer" more than meets the eye. Flying Stovepipe, glider in disguise.

Clarification, I think the axial spin is required for the GLIDER to be stable. Good video post, if The fins were simple rectangles I think airfoiling would be practical, bit those long diagonals look like they would be a PITB to airfoil. I think if I built did you want to cant the fins. I might draw a straight line, use cheaters, say 1/16”, line up the forward edge on one side of the line, and the rear edge on the other. If that was insufficient, try 1/8”.

Back