Estes Doorknob

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When painted to scale paint job it is pretty. Just in general, folks really like the PS2 builder kits.

But yeah, it's 4FNC. Frankly, a *lot* of extremely popular rockets are just 3FNC or 4FNC, and are either popular because of their paint job (e.g. Red Max) or... other reasons. As soon as I find out what they are I'll let you know. :)

Try making the scale bolt, rivet, and panel line detail . . . Remember, this is a Scale model, not something to slap together, paint any old color scheme, and fly !

Dave F.

It's a biggish kit (Pro-series II Lite) with a 29mm mount that has historical significance.

Should you get one? Only if you want one

I haven't launched it yet, but it is a great kit. It is fun to build.

I did not see a need to buy the separate motor mount from a different company since I always use Apogee component build standards, like G5000 resin, thin CA, and epoxy.

Try making the scale bolt, rivet, and panel line detail . . . Remember, this is a Scale model, not something to slap together, paint any old color scheme, and fly !

Dave F.

Painting will be a challenge. I base coated it white. I am waiting for the decals to come from Estes. I think that they model after the blue and white version on the back of the box. If so, I hope the decals contain the large body strips.

It’s a new estes pro series kit that resembles a builders kit rather than the E2X of the last few years so it’s piqued a lot of people’s interest, although in fairness I’ve been flying my E2X ps II kits hard lately

I am going with the alternate color scheme and the Estes blue decals. It was a great build. The only deviation from the instructions was mounting the shock cord to the motor mount.

I am going with the alternate color scheme and the Estes blue decals. It was a great build. The only deviation from the instructions was mounting the shock cord to the motor mount.

I apologize as I got the message above late. Please feel free to delete my post. I posted it on the build forum. I don't have a delete button to remove this post.

Fins and Nose Cone. Basically a standard configuration rocket with a nose on the front and 3-4 fins on the back.
In other words "Nothing special, just four fins and a nose cons."
Thank you, Antares JS. I guess I should have known this, but I didn't.
Sorry, what does "should have" mean?

In other words "Nothing special, just four fins and a nose cone."

Let's face it . . . Virtually EVERY rocket ( excluding Tube Fin designs ) is just a few Fins, a Body Tube, and a Nose Cone, before paint and graphics.

Even the SATURN V is just 4FNC, too, especially the Skylab version . . . ( So, a SATURN 1B would be "8FNC", by definition ).

Dave F.

I would go one further:
a 3FNC is a basic rocket, 3 (or 4) fins and a nose cone. No transitions, no av bay, nothing more than that. A tube, and nosecone and 3 (or 4) fins and a MMT (Motor Mount). And the fins are typically a 3 or 4 sided polygon, equally spaced around the body tube.

The Saturn V is a scale kit, has transitions, and is very balance / thrust sensitive, and with added wraps & such... So I wouldn't consider it a '3FNC' (Sorry Dave!)

The Saturn V is a scale kit, has transitions, and is very balance / thrust sensitive, and with added wraps & such... So I wouldn't consider it a '3FNC' (Sorry Dave!)

The Doorknob is also a scale kit ( it could use a lot more surface details, rather than "decals" to represent mounting brackets, etc.

On a side note, the Saturn is NOT a "3FNC" ( because it has FOUR fins ) Sorry, Paul ! - LOL !

Dave F.

20200722_152107.jpg
20200722_3.jpg
FIN CAN - 2.jpgLAUNCH SHOES - 1.jpg

Back