Estes DOM - Top Secret (#78) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zetoyoc

Reaction score
Or Near Earth Attack Vehicle. Or as I like to think of it . The Knave

I am new here and to the hobby in general. Sure I built a mosquito or two as a kid but I never really got bitten by the hobby till I started teaching classes of kids simple engineering and rocketry. We used bulk packs of alphas or wizards. but by launch day I wanted something more as a finally and it went from there. Now I have a box full of kits and am reading and learning how to build them well, or at least as well as my patience allows. and now recently on extended vacation I am able to spend some quality time in the garage.

this is the first kit i thought to take pictures of.
A small kit from Cygnus Rocketry

NEAV1of4.jpg

I thought it would be bigger :)

NEAV3of4-1.jpg

I love the sleek looking land speed look it has.

You may notice a slight jump in time here. did I mention I'm new at this?

NEAV4of4-1.jpg

NEAV2of7-2.jpg

the nose used lead weights i had to screw the eye hook through into a dowel into the nose cone. I hope it holds. I had to grind down the lead to make it fit back in the body tube.

I am especially pleased with the results of my first paper canopy cutout

NEAV1of7-2.jpg

NEAV6of7-2.jpg

NEAV4of7-2.jpg

Ok so as I often do. I forgot to put the launch lug on. do you think it would be a problem to mount it inside one of the outboard tubes so it wont show as much?

on to the detailing. interesting now since i didn't follow the white paint suggestion.

Thanks for looking I am learning a lot from you folks.

-Jesse

Last edited by a moderator:
looks nice. i always have double check on pretty much all of my birds that i have some way of getting it up the rod/rail. I dont see an issue mounting the lug inside one of the outboard tubes, just make sure you get it on nice and straight, just make sure to get it as close to the main BT as possible, i have an oddrockthat i needed to move the lug closer to the central tube because the large offset caused it to bind on the rod.

Welcome to the Estes DOM - Top Secret (#78) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes DOM- Top Secret (#78) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Cygnus: X-1 N.E.A.V.:
Estes DOM: Top Secret: #78
NCR: SR-99 Hyperswift: #07200

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Cygnus X-1 N.E.A.V. Basic Information.

cygnus.gif
Cygnus Model Rocket Company

MODEL NAME: X-1 N.E.A.V. also N.E.A.V., Near Earth Attach Vehicle

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Futuristic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 9.5”
Diameter: 0.736”
Span: 3"
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

cygnus-x1%20neav-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Cygnus 2011 Web Ad

Face Card

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Colors inspired by the movie "Firefox." I left off the cardstock canopy, since I didn't like the look of it.

Top Secret.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've built a few of the DOM rockets in my days. You did a great job on this one. I like you choices in color and canopy option. If I were to make a canopy like the one in the plans, I'd have prolly shaped my own out of a chunk of balsa instead. Here's a look at my Saturnian from that DOM selection. This pic lacks the homemade decals I put on the fins but it had been on my do list for a great number of years.

DSCF1683.JPG

The Top Secret has always been a favorite of mine.
The Firefox decor looks great! It really changes the feel of the design.

I made a cardstock version from the Eric Truax site, unfortunately the link is no longer good.

There's a Model Profile of the Top Secret on my blog at:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2012/03/model-profile-dom-top-secret.html

Lonnie B. commented on my blog that the Estes EAC Firecat took a lot of design cues from the Top Secret.

That stenciled Top Secret decal can be found on the Red Max decal sheet.

Top Secret B 001_WEB.jpg

Top Secret B 003_WEB.jpg

Fortunately, I got a picture before the flight and not after. The main fin assembly is dinged up now, after a hard landing. It's one of those things that's fixable, but cosmetically it will look a little rough.

Gotta get this one painted...

... one of these days. :rolleyes:

Top Secret - rear view '60s.jpg

Top Secret - bottom view '60s.jpg

Estes DOM Top Secret (#78) Basic Information.

estes_dom.gif
Estes Design of the Month

MODEL NAME: Top Secret Also known as:

NUMBER: #78

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Brett Simpkins

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes%20dom-top%20secret%2078-instr%201.jpg

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
very nice Mine is built but waiting paint. Doing too much overtime at work that is keeping me from my rockets :(

NCR SR-99 Hyperswift (#07200) Basic Information.

ncr.gif
North Coast Rocketry (NCR)

MODEL NAME: SR-99 Hyperswift Also known as:

NUMBER: #07200

Introduced: 2012
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Exotic, Upscale
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Length: 37.00" (93.98 cm)
Diameter: 2.64" (6.71 cm)
Span:
Weight: 15.80 oz (447.92 g)

Mfg. Description: The SR-99 HyperSwift; this kit represents a future reconnaissance vehicle for a 3 letter government agency that is designed to travel anywhere in the globe in a short time. The one man vehicle is powered by a solid rocket booster to Mach 7, where twin scramjets take over the propulsion. (NCR 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

ncr-sr99%20hyperswift%2007200-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

ncr-sr99%20hyperswift%2007200-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

ncr-sr99%20hyperswift%2007200-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Here's a slight upscaled version of Top Secret that I did this year. Main body tube is a BT-50 and it uses an 18mm engine mount. Nose cone is from the current Sci-Fi pack from Estes.

VZU+ekd4TmeE7OfBUtNJaQ.jpg

Launch picture with an adapter running a 1/2A3-2T. Flew well, did a cute little roll off the launch rod.

fullsizeoutput_bdad.jpeg

Then finally achieved orbit. ;)

Earth and Moon Top Secret.jpg

Last edited:
For those that didn't know it, the Top Secret was designed by Brett Simpkins at age 12 iirc, Brett also designed the Binder Design Devastator, GLR Crossbow, and GLR Sledgehammer.
He was hanging around here for a while. If I remember right, he did the Top Secret in several sizes. Always cool to hear from one of the DOM winners.

Here's a slight upscaled version of Top Secret that I did this year. Main body tube is a BT-50 and it uses an 18mm engine mount. Nose cone is from the current Sci-Fi pack from Estes.

View attachment 488147

Launch picture with an adapter running a 1/2A3-2T. Flew well, did a cute little roll off the launch rod.

View attachment 488148

Then finally achieved orbit. ;)

View attachment 488149
Looks similar to this,
https://northcoastrocketry.com/collections/kits/products/sa-99-hyperswift

Here my version of the Top Secret design: "Supersonic Stork Xpress"

In imagination: it features an ram air intake where the body widens.

In reality:
The rocket is completely papered. The engine is slab sided with card stock. Instead of having the nosecone eject, the motor mount ejects instead. There are no stickers, the logos are printed on the paper before "wallpapering".

I named it after a bird because the shape reminds of a bird in flight.

:)

Attachments

• IMG_20211119_214547.jpg
    IMG_20211119_214547.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 12
Back