Estes DOM - Plan 59 Ganymede 274

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please do a build thread. Your craftsmanship is impeccable.
Not to mention your photography. 😬
Wow, that's very kind of you. Thanks! I might just give that a shot. I've thought about doing that with these other DOM builds but I'm not sure I got enough photographic coverage. Some times ya get wrapped up in the project and forget to take the pics. ;)

How well do those low hanging fins stand up to landings?

BTW are your decals home printed? How did you get the white field on the stars and bars?
Did you do a double decal (white decal cutout behind a clear decal) or something else?

How well do those low hanging fins stand up to landings?
You know, I think it will be okay. Despite what it looks like in the photos, it's not a huge rocket, the body is roughly 13 and a half inches. It does make me nervous though. ;) We'll see if I actually get the nerve to fly her.

BTW are your decals home printed? How did you get the white field on the stars and bars?
Did you do a double decal (white decal cutout behind a clear decal) or something else?
Everything but the stars and bars are home designed and printed. I use blank decal sheets from siriusrocketry.biz and an old HP Laserjet. It works okay most of the time. The stars and bars are actually a cheat. I bought a set of 1/72 scale national insignia sheets off ebay that had various sizes. I think they are Microscale. It really has come in handy for this type of thing and one sheet will do the job for a good number of rockets.

Everything but the stars and bars are home designed and printed. I use blank decal sheets from siriusrocketry.biz and an old HP Laserjet. It works okay most of the time. The stars and bars are actually a cheat. I bought a set of 1/72 scale national insignia sheets off ebay that had various sizes. I think they are Microscale. It really has come in handy for this type of thing and one sheet will do the job for a good number of rockets.
I think that's the same thing I've been using since 2001. My brother in law and I were on the way to NARAM 43 and stopped in a local hobby store to pick up odds and ends. (A Custom Stealth Interceptor to build in the motel room at night, some D motors for the big boy field, some decal bonder and the above mentioned decal set.) I still have quite a bit of the decal set left.

Very Cool!!!

I've almost done all that I can with OR 15.03 (haven't done the main fin, or the tip fins yet (obviously)). The Developer's version of OR would be able to finish the sim. However, I'd need to upgrade to JAVA 11 and that renders 15.03 unusable (I've been told). I can say that this one will have my attention when the new version drops.

1635404904274.png

Red, I'd love to get a copy of the decals you used on your kit.

Last edited:
Very Cool!!!

I've almost done all that I can with OR 15.03 (haven't done the main fin, or the tip fins yet (obviously)). The Developer's version of OR would be able to finish the sim. However, I'd need to upgrade to JAVA 11 and that renders 15.03 unusable (I've been told). I can say that this one will have my attention when the new version drops.

View attachment 487626

Red, I'd love to get a copy of the decals you used on your kit.

Thanks for the kind words and the sim looks great! Even without the fin tips that's not a bad looking rocket. Soon as I get the decals finished I'll try to get them all on one file and organized. You can't see the bottom of the Ganymede because I goofed them up on that side. ;) So had to make some more. I've got them printed but like I said, now they're on two separate files with a lot of stuff for other builds.

Back