Estes DOM Orbital Transport Laboratory

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
Recently Chris finished a model called Orbital Transport Laboratory. Here the link to his building blog: https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/E Orbital Transport Laboratory
It was first introduced as a Design of the Month winner in June of ’71.
The rocket was also on the cover of the 1972 Estes catalog:
OTL-7A_1972_Catalog_Pic.jpg

I thought this would be a nice and easy project for a partial 3D printed version.

First step was to design and print the engine nozzle:
OTL-7A_Nozzle_Printer.png

A centering ring and an engine block was also designed and 3D printed. Here the parts:
OTL-7A_Parts_1.png

Next step was to cut a BT-60 body tube to 5 inches in length. I then glued the centering ring in the body tube. When the epoxy was cured I drilled the holes that hold the fins in place.
I also glued the engine block in the engine tube:
OTL-7A_Centering_Ring.png

Then the engine tube was glued to the centering ring:
OTL-7A_Engine_Tube.png

Next part will be the balsa fins....

That would be a clever design to kit bash for an updated version based on the Orion Ascent Abort Test, with the solar panels as fins.
(i.e. the vehicle that should have been known as Little Joe III)

I can't imagine those fins ever surviving a landing as originally designed. So little attachment to the body. Looks like you have something nice planned for back there.

Is that nylon you're printing?

Looking forward to seeing the finished rocket and how it flies.

Today I cut out the fins and glued the dowels in place:
OTL-7A_Fins.png

I then dry fitted the parts to see if everything fit correctly:
OTL-7A_Mockup.png

I'm likely going to strip the paint from the Gemini capsule as it isn't my work and I think I can do a cleaner job.

Next step will be to seal and paint the fins.....

Wow Leo! That nozzle is so much nicer than the card stock nozzles formed from the MRN instructions.
The centering ring dowel supports are another smart upgrade!
The dowel holes were hard to drill in the centering ring making fins difficult to align.
You've solved the building hurdles!
If you need the decal PDF, let me know!

Thanks Chris!

I might take on your offer concerning the PDF file. At first I wanted to make my own but yours turned out great.

I've been following Chris' build on his blog, and his has turned out great - excellent work, Chris!

Looking forward to your final result, Leo. It looks like your Gemini capsule is the blow molded version from the Estes #1978 kit?

That's correct John. It's a spare I've had lying around for a very long time and now it comes in handy.

A centering ring and an engine block was also designed and 3D printed. Here the parts:
This looks like an easy fun build. Would you mind posting the STL files? Also ... where did the Gemini capsule come from? Is that a 3D print also?

Then the engine tube was glued to the centering ring:
Usually the engine tube goes into the CR's first, and then the whole assembly goes into the BT. Was there a particular reason you installed the CR before the motor tube?
-- and there's only 1 cr?

I've been following Chris' build on his blog, and his has turned out great - excellent work, Chris!
Looking forward to your final result, Leo. It looks like your Gemini capsule is the blow molded version from the Estes #1978 kit?

Thanks John!
I did a little different treatment than you did on yours.
Your solar panel fins look great.
I wanted to do a white UNITED STATES and flag on the capsule but don't have that decal.
I didn't notice that "3" in the red squares! I might add it later on.

Interesting choice of corporate decals/logos on this one over the years.

Time-period accurate, or modern-day post-mergers, take your pick!

Seems like for modern day, both Boeing (McDonnell Douglas) for the Gemini capsule and Lockheed Martin (Martin Marietta) for the Titan launch vehicle could be appropriate here.

Or, you could go future/fantasy and kit bash this as a Martian Orbiting Laboratory and put Blue Origin and SpaceX logos on it. :)

I had intended on using an original Estes nose cone but now decided to design and print my own for this rocket build.
Since the nozzle is 3D printed then might as well make a 3D printed nose cone. It's based on the Estes version with slightly more detail added.
Gemini_Capsule_Leo_N.jpg

Last edited:
Got to get it off my chest. Every tome I see DOM (Design of Month) I think Drawn over Mandrel (tubing) and get confused for a second.

Got to get it off my chest. Every tome I see DOM (Design of Month) I think Drawn over Mandrel (tubing) and get confused for a second.

That's fine, let it out...... However I would start to worry if it took you longer than a second :p

I love Your color print out of the Gemini ship. Any chance that You'll sell the 3 part Gemini for those of us who don't have access to a printer????please??????

It really isn't worth it because shipping would just be to high.

I would like to know what shipping would be Leo, please ? It might be worth it to me. Other wise, might I ask what program that You used so I might help iniate the new printer at the local library, please ?Thanks.

This is the capsule in it's final version that I will be using for the Orbital Transport Laboratory
Gemini_Capsule_Final.jpg

It is now in 4 parts so I could easily paint the lower base section in silver without needing to do any masking.

DOM Orbital Transport Laboratory: “Project Leo's OTL Report” June-July 2020

Some more improvements to the Gemini capsule boiler plate 009 were implemented with the base being strengthened and ballast being added to the nose tip.
Gemini_Capsule_Ballast.jpg

Rigid heating tests showed the material for the engine bell, shroud and capsule needed upgrading (-> went from PLA to ABS)

Furthermore the vital guide system was fabricated and mounted to the rocket body cell (-> Launch lug glued to body tube)

After rocket cell completion a protection coat to repel heat rays was applied. In addition a titanium shield was applied to the lower portion of the propulsion unit (-> body tube painted pure white and silver)

Progress as of July 22, 2020
DOM_OTL_1.jpg

Back